Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
[WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies.
    #15051024 - 09/08/11 10:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/129196333.html
Sept. 3, 2011
Grieving mom crusades to ban grain alcohol after son's death

The phone call was from a woman I didn't know. "I'm calling to invite you to my son's funeral today," she said.

Jeff Wielichowski, 22, drowned in the Greenfield family's swimming pool on July 15 after drinking a punch made of 190-proof Everclear grain alcohol, Red Bull and Gatorade.

Luanne Wielichowski believes her only son had no idea how potent this concoction was, and she has channeled her grief into a crusade to ban the sale of Everclear and other high-proof booze in Wisconsin, as some other states have done.

I did stop at the funeral at St. Alphonsus Church in Greendale and talked briefly with Jeff's mother and dad, Luanne and Jerry, who were surrounded by things that had been dear to him - the diploma from Viterbo University in La Crosse that he earned two months earlier, samples of his graphic art, his camera, his electric guitar, the music playing on his iPod.

Their creative son had been looking for a job in the arts or media, and just a week earlier had committed to a five-year loan for a better car. A promising future was unfolding for the 2006 Greenfield High School grad.

"He was not ready to die. It was not his time," his mother said.

Luanne has become something of an instant expert on high-powered grain alcohol. She began calling everyone from the governor's office on down to, in her words, ban this poison. The Everclear bottle purchased by Jeff and a friend remains at the family's home, a painful reminder of a night that her parents can't stop replaying in their minds.

"It smells like rubbing alcohol," Luanne said, unscrewing the top and putting her nose to the opening. The bottle has a price tag of $17.99 and a warning that its contents are extremely flammable. People have been known to use this stuff as a cleaning solvent and for circus fire-breathing acts. A designation of 190 proof means it's 95% alcohol. Most popular gin, vodka, brandy and other hard liquor is 80 proof, or 40% alcohol.

On July 15, Jeff and a longtime friend went to Loomis Beer & Liquor at Loomis and Layton and bought the Everclear and other party supplies. Everclear is available at many liquor stores and even grocery stores, though the owner of this particular store voluntarily took it off the shelf after learning of Jeff's death.

Another male friend and three female friends joined them that night at the Wielichowski home. Jeff and one friend mixed up the Everclear, Red Bull and Gatorade and started drinking it about 8:30 p.m. His parents have since learned this blend has an all-too-fitting name: Tucker Death Mix.

Just a short time later, Luanne, who was home that night along with Jerry, noticed her son's speech was slurred when he briefly came into the house. She urged him to stop drinking. Jerry saw the Everclear bottle and told his son, "Get rid of that stuff. It's going to make you sick."

"Don't worry," Jeff said.

A little later, he jumped in the pool, as he had countless times since childhood. It's about 5 feet deep. His friends later said he seemed to be swimming frantically.

"It is my best guess," Luanne said, "that his heart was speeding from the Red Bull, and he thought he could just swim it off. Instead, he became unconscious from the Everclear and went to the bottom of the pool."

At this point, she can't prove what role the strong alcohol played in his death. Final autopsy results have not been determined yet by the Milwaukee County medical examiner, which ruled the death a drowning. Luanne was informed her son's blood-alcohol level was 0.26%, more than three times the legal limit for driving.

The friends pulled Jeff from the pool and laid him on the deck, but didn't tell his parents right away that he apparently had passed out. About 10:30 p.m., Jerry came outside and found his son unresponsive and not breathing. Luanne, a professor of nursing at Alverno College, did CPR to try to save her son's life. Someone called 911, and a rescue squad and police came, but Jeff could not be revived.

Last Tuesday would have been his 23rd birthday. Seven weeks after his death, his bedroom at home is undisturbed. Luanne said she can't bring herself to even pull the sheets from his bed. His death is so hard to accept. No one wants to go in the pool anymore.

The family has faced other challenges. Jerry and also Jeff's 30-year-old sister, Lindsay Goff, were diagnosed with cancer in 2004. Jerry is still receiving chemotherapy.

The family's state representative, Peggy Krusick, has taken an interest in their cause and plans to introduce a bill to ban the sale of products like Everclear. First, she plans to check with law enforcement, health experts and with other states to see what they've done. A patchwork of restrictions, including outright bans, exists in more than a dozen states, including neighboring Minnesota and Michigan.

Luanne also has turned to the governor's State Council on Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse. Citizen member Joyce O'Donnell from West Allis said the council's planning and funding committee, which she chairs, took a position in August to support a ban on 190-proof grain alcohol.

Everclear is a brand of Luxco, a St. Louis spirits company. Company chairman and CEO Donn Lux declined to comment on Jeff's death or Luanne's allegations about the product. The company's website says Everclear enjoys "a loyal, near cult-status, following." Other Internet sites glorify its hard-partying reputation.

What it does is get you drunk fast, especially younger users, Luanne said. Her son paid the ultimate price for a very bad choice, she said, and it's her goal to inform other families about this stuff and prevent similar tragedies.

"Was it sold legally to them? Yes, it was. But I don't think people are really aware of what it is," she said. "I need something good to come out of this horrible story."

OMG MY SON DIED LETS GO BACK TO PROHIBITION
:retawed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineairborne spores
little bastards!

Loc: PNW, USA
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: nooneman] * 10
    #15051051 - 09/08/11 11:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm tired of parents who want to make their offspring's death a crusade to Nerf the world.

--------------------
"Psilocybin is one of the most active, and least toxic of all psychedelics.  It could very well be the most perfect psychedelic! 

No complex chemicals, special equipment or knowledge of chemistry is needed to grow psilocybin mushrooms at home.  Given the spores, all that is needed to grow them is a little bit of grain, some chalk, a pressure cooker and a few mason jars.

With these simple supplies, growing your own organic trips at home is about as difficult as a seventh-grade science fair project"

O.T.Oss & O.N.Oeric

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: airborne spores]
    #15051104 - 09/08/11 11:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Why stop there? Lets ban all alcohol.

Offlinerecklessness
kills you.
Male

Loc: Minneasota Flag
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15051116 - 09/08/11 11:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sk8ordude said:
Why stop there? Lets ban all alcohol.

Didn't we already try that? Hahahaah

--------------------
"He's going to cheer it up a bit, it's gonna be like "The Sound of Music" but with bricks in it."
-Nick Mason, Drummer for Pink Floyd.

:orry:

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: recklessness]
    #15051137 - 09/08/11 11:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well this shit happens so many times a year, and if it is even suspected that a "drug" just might maybe possibly have the potential do some sort of harm to something, it is immediately illegal, no investigation beyond identification, just emergency ban and then illegal. If nothing else we should at least be consistent, or else it will make the other countries laugh at us.

Edited by sk8ordude (09/08/11 11:31 PM)

InvisiblePeterPanda209
Who has BitCoins?
Male User Gallery

Loc: •FrEsH CoAsT Flag
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: recklessness]
    #15051182 - 09/08/11 11:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's nuts when people see 1-10 news articles a year in result of "my kid did something on psychedelics" type incidents, then see the hundreds and hundreds coming from alcohol and deem the psychedelics a problem, even pot!

Clearly the problem factors were 95%ga and caffiene both illegal substances media shove down our throats... Bummer someone lost their life, but if this lady expects us to go back into Prohibition for her, I suggest she supports a movement towards psychedelic decriminalization :wink:

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: nooneman]
    #15051333 - 09/09/11 12:40 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Luanne Wielichowski believes her only son had no idea how potent this concoction was

Of course he knew how potent it was, I'm sure that's why he was drinking it.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: Kizzle] * 2
    #15051413 - 09/09/11 01:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

lets ban this mom from having children, that sounds like a more responsible, more reasonable, more logical choice.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #15051601 - 09/09/11 02:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

two points..

Who goes swimming while drunk, if there's not a (somewhat) sober person there that's a good swimmer. I'm a lifeguard and that still sounds like a bad idea.

Second, it sounds like he wasn't even THAT intoxicated.  If he's 22 he's probably been drinking for a few years and therefor has a tolerance.

Also, i'm no expert, but if BAC follows the GENERAL rule of .08% per drink, per hour, then he only had the equivalent of 4-ish drinks in an hour and then maintained.. If my math is wrong, please correct me, but..

--------------------
Everything i say is completely hypothetical...

InvisibleKEEPYOURAIDSAWAY
off road unicyclist
Male

Loc: vt Flag
    #15051622 - 09/09/11 02:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:

OMG MY SON DIED LETS GO BACK TO PROHIBITION
:retawed:

:curbyourenthusiasm:i lol'd/perfect use of that graemlin

--------------------
BUSHRAT DOES NOT SOW

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: KEEPYOURAIDSAWAY]
    #15051774 - 09/09/11 04:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

honestly it sounds genetic

a shot of 95% is two 40% shots and a swig of malibu mix

he should of been able to handle that, tho .26% sounds huge LOL, but i feel .08 is way too fucking low to be considered "slow" but its zero tolerance in some places

he's 22 years old he really shouldnt have been so stupid, my friends father has seen people go in to seizures at the bar from just 80%

oh well, everyone will just ignore it.

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15051816 - 09/09/11 05:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sk8ordude said:
If nothing else we should at least be consistent, or else it will make the other countries laugh at us.

Other countries already laugh at the US! It would have to take a pretty retarded law (like alcohol prohibition) to make them laugh even harder.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

OfflineMyco Fanatic
Epithet the great.
 User Gallery
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #15051821 - 09/09/11 05:18 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I quote this whenever possible:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

OfflineOdd_Nonposter
Unrecognizable
Male

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: Myco Fanatic]
    #15052059 - 09/09/11 07:41 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So they just switch to Bacardi 151 or get it from out of state. It's what they do here in Ohio.

I blame the stupidity of the kid, not the alcohol. Or the mother, for not impressing responsible drinking habits onto him.

Offlinersmokes
 User Gallery
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: Odd_Nonposter]
    #15052108 - 09/09/11 07:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

151 will get u smacked, so will everclear, I love them both in moderation lol. I like them cause I can put down two shots and not drink some shity mixed drink.
I hate seeing so many people blame the drug or in this case alcohol, he made the decision to drink it.

Moms are not rational people.

--------------------
[Lsd][Mushrooms][DMT Freebase][4-aco-dmt][2c-e][2c-i][MDMA][E][Cocaine][Marijuana][Bk-mdma]

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #15052279 - 09/09/11 08:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

"He was not ready to die. It was not his time," his mother said.

Reality says otherwise.

What is the relevance of another relative having cancer?

--------------------

OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Loc: South Park Colorado
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #15052405 - 09/09/11 09:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So he blew a .26? I had a friend get alcohol poisoning and go to the hospital. He blew a .38..... This kid was not close to that, he did not have alcohol poisoning. It drives crazy when one persons stupid makes there moms get MADD on everyone else

Oh btw I took online traffic school and it said that it's 2 drinks for a typical adult male to get to 0.07%, which like other government BS is prolly just BS. I saw someone mention something about this in the thread

--------------------
"Snow is like sex. You never know how much your gonna get or how long it's gonna last"

Edited by King Cap (09/09/11 09:36 AM)

InvisibleKEEPYOURAIDSAWAY
off road unicyclist
Male

Loc: vt Flag
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: King Cap]
    #15052436 - 09/09/11 09:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ive had three beers in an hour and blew over the legal limit. had a .10.ridiculous..got a dwi.

--------------------
BUSHRAT DOES NOT SOW

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: KEEPYOURAIDSAWAY] * 1
    #15052443 - 09/09/11 09:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Course of action is obvious.

Ban all swimming pools!:banbanban:

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

InvisibleBlindtheeye
All Seeing Nothing

Loc: TX Flag
Re: [WI] Mom wants everclear banned after son dies. [Re: Heffy] * 1
    #15052634 - 09/09/11 10:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

5ft of water...

parents knew he was drinking

parents knew what he was drinking

friends pull him out of the water and dont alert anyone

parents knew he was drinking

5ft of water... 

WTF

lets ban anything that keeps us from realizing it's our own fault

--------------------
A great truth cannot be communicated, it must be realized.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds