Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: Konyap]
    #15051924 - 09/09/11 06:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

what's the psychedelic "scene"?

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: millzy]
    #15051938 - 09/09/11 06:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

A true test of man is when he can go into an altered state of consciousness while the rest of the world is crumbling around him.

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: millzy]
    #15052935 - 09/09/11 12:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

millzy said:

what ghost said...

OfflineFunguspants
Stranger

Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: millzy] * 1
    #15052979 - 09/09/11 12:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

millzy said:

You really have to ask this question? 

I feel like hes referring to the... psychedelic scene...

the hippies, the art, the bullshit around it.

I see where hes coming from, I think its bullshit that a guy who wears a suit and tie can't be into psychedelics.

Metaphor.

Also, how psychedelics have brought this sort of "civilized psychedelic culture".

He states in the post how he things that the Amazonian tribes ect. probably have a completely different view on the state of psychedelia then us civilized people do.  He's probably right.  I mean I do my own fucking thing, but I have seen many people drop some weak acid one time and all the sudden they have to say man or dude every other sentence, are environmentalist vegans and replaced their entire wardrobe with tie die and their whole iTunes library became grateful dead cds.

Do these people REALLY feel changed? I don't think so.  I feel like a lot of people are taking psychedelics, expect them to just GIVE them everything they seek, and what they are seeking IMO is that 60's 70's hippy experience, messages from Shiva, ect...  Acid and psychedelics won't just GIVE you things, they will give you the key but you have to find what door it opens, kind of thing, in my opinion.

I have been discussing the topic of psychedelics, life changing trips and such with these kind of people...

"Yeah, so how do you think acid changed your life?"

"Well dude... uh... well man you see it was just great... everything is awesome now man."

"...how so?"

"I dunno man its just man... uh... you know dude listen to the dead and find out man."

"If your experience was so great and had such an effect on you and your life... you really can't explain one simple part of it to me right now? How it changed your outlook or anything?"

"Well man uh... i mean it made me relies uh... the dead dude, and fucking tie die man look man... uh... when my mom tells me to get a job I'm like man what are jobs anyway dude you know?  Hey man where are you going????"

--------------------
:macdre::scumbagsteve::chillin::scumbagsteve::chillin::scumbagsteve::macdre:

AWWWWWWWWWL DAY SUCKA WAT

"I... I don't want to die"

"BITCH SOMETIMES WE GOTTA DO THANGS DAT WE AINT WANNA DO"

InvisibleThe Whale

Loc: Flag
Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: Funguspants]
    #15053003 - 09/09/11 12:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'd like to add that some of the most straight-laced and non-psychedelic affiliated art, literature, music, and ideas can be some of the most psychedelic stuff around.

McKenna, Leary, et al. introduced a lot of people to Huxley, evolutionary psychology, James Joyce, cultural relativity, and other forms of information that are far removed from psychedelics.

Now, it's also our job to quit being so god damned pretentious and look away from the bulls-eye so we can see the target. Wrestle more fish from the nets to bring back to shore. You know...

--------------------

OfflineFunguspants
Stranger

Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: The Whale] * 1
    #15053015 - 09/09/11 12:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:
I'd like to add that some of the most straight-laced and non-psychedelic affiliated art, literature, music, and ideas can be some of the most psychedelic stuff around.

McKenna, Leary, et al. introduced a lot of people to Huxley, evolutionary psychology, James Joyce, cultural relativity, and other forms of information that are far removed from psychedelics.

Now, it's also our job to quit being so god damned pretentious and look away from the bulls-eye so we can see the target. Wrestle more fish from the nets to bring back to shore. You know...

Right dude?

Loved the bolded part.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: Funguspants]
    #15053019 - 09/09/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Funguspants said:
I see where hes coming from, I think its bullshit that a guy who wears a suit and tie can't be into psychedelics.

I've been mocked before by wearing dress clothes at psychedelic conferences.

Dreadlocks can be beautiful, but Grof's got a twinkle in his eye despite the blue blazer.

It's easier to pass between the corridors when you don't look like you just finished touring.

I've met people who wear suits for the same reason that basketball players wear jerseys. It's ALL game, and the real players know it.

--------------------

Offlineiamu
Sall Growman
Male

Loc: Ireland
Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: The Whale]
    #15053020 - 09/09/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

the only reason theres a thread for this is because you made it holmes

--------------------

Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

Loc: Much love to you all
Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: The Whale]
    #15053021 - 09/09/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:

Indeed, psychedelics renewed my passion for learning the mysteries of the universe on many levels.

I fucking love your sig, btw.

OfflineFunguspants
Stranger

#15053038 - 09/09/11 12:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:
Quote:

Funguspants said:

Dreadlocks can be beautiful, but Grof's got a twinkle in his eye despite the blue blazer.

It's easier to pass between the corridors when you don't look like you just finished touring.

I've met people who wear suits for the same reason that basketball players wear jerseys. It's ALL game, and the real players know it.

Yep.

I think its kind of funny though, all these hardcore "scenesters" put such an emphasis on being open minded and free-spirited... yet they all have this image they aspire and look up to, and the image that they hate and despise.  But physically and mentally.

--------------------

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

#15053045 - 09/09/11 12:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:
Quote:

Funguspants said:

Yup, I dress like a businessman because the perception is better. I got called a "fucking boyscout douche" at a festival because it was the first day and I was dressed in conservative attire.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

Loc: earth
Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15053053 - 09/09/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

love2sphongle you've posted an incredible amount of times in your short stay here.

--------------------
Trippin? Click Me...... Me too!

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: Anthony] * 1
    #15053062 - 09/09/11 12:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I know, it doesn't feel like a lot though. Post only take a few seconds to compose and I enjoy talking with all you fuckers.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15053084 - 09/09/11 01:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The best psychedelic meditation is to practice loving your grandmother.1 That's first. Then we can gradually transition to the strangers who fill church on Sunday mornings. We can exercise not only compassion for their own unique, developmental reality tunnels, but can also shake our habitual dependence on a first-person narrative of the world. The "non-psychedelic" theories (and people) are integral pieces in the puzzle. It's seamless, and nature doesn't make mistakes. (Except for the appendix. But God, as we all know, put that there to test your faith).

It's fun to zoom our cognitive microscopes in and out though. We get wrapped up in analyzing the contents of our life and of our days, but deep down I feel most of us know all of the individual elements are essential tracks on the beautiful rail road of an interdependent-co-existing-spaghetti mystery. Alan Watts impacted me strongly one day when he said the message of Zen is not to let go and disappear on a mountaintop, but to dissolve into the life roles. Take it very, very serious. Stretch your emotions and attach yourself to everything! (It's all an illusion anyway, right?). Lose yourself and grow big and strong. Mistakes are like vitamins.

1. There is no 'best'. When it comes to advice, observe - don't absorb. Yet if you take even this advice, it would be a contradiction. Ouch. Loopidy loops are part of territory.

--------------------

OfflineLustfulLinsanity
The Familiar Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: An island in the Pacific Flag
Re: I have come to a point in life where I actually sort of detest "psychedelia" [Re: Anthony]
    #15053087 - 09/09/11 01:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather." Bill Hicks

--------------------

I wish to become enlightened, to know bliss, to be a pure expression of joy, to slake my insatiable thirst.

Invisiblemillzy
Male

#15053120 - 09/09/11 01:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

nah, i'm with the op for the most part. the whole "scene" aspect of psychedelics is high school. i mean some people are just fucken hippies and i can dig on that style as i have some hippy ass friends, but i'm an extremely clean cut office type. i dress really plainly and honestly, i bet to most i look like a nerd. i like it actually. you know what though? kids will be kids. i think the majority of that is just young people trying to figure out who they are (and trying to have a good time), so i can't look down my nose at that.

and, there's some "psychedelia" that's pretty cool. for example classic blotter prints and some artists or authors that are associated with the psychedelics will always be great. i don't really care if liking some of that stuff offends someone's counterculture sensibilities because to me what's good is good. i'm confident in my taste. and i'm with whale, there's a lot of great stuff that's unintentionally but nonetheless extremely psychedelic.

what absolutely disgusts me is this whole "enlightenment" bullshit. it's not that i don't see the value in the experience that psychedelics can provide - i wouldn't take them if i didn't. but i read some people's posts on here and sometimes think to myself "wow, you've just taken the fun out of taking drugs" in utter astonishment. i also think this whole emulation of other cultures' traditions is painfully contrived and has no context within the western cultural framework (and arguably is holding back our need to be able to incorporate theses substances in a way that is uniquely suited to our lifestyle). i don't think any of that horseshit does any good for psychedelics or people who choose to live a spiritual life. kinda brings the rest of the crowd down imo.

i also think the natural vs. synthetic ongoing argument is heavily steeped in small minded thinking.

i'm not here to change anyone's mind about any of that, but that's my take on it.

--------------------

Edited by millzy (09/09/11 01:21 PM)

Offlineakira_akuma

#15053231 - 09/09/11 01:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

it's easy to get locked in the narrow mirror.

OfflineFunguspants
Stranger

#15054759 - 09/09/11 06:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Were you responding to me?

Not sure, I got what you were saying but not really where it was in response to be specifically.

Were kind of on the same page here though and I think you got it spot on too with that "scene" aspect being in highschool.

I think all scenes are annoying.  If you like something great, but don't be like OOOH THESE KIDS SUCK CUS THERE NOT IN MY SCENE.

FUCK THOSE KIDS CUS THEY LIKE SPORTS.

IM COOL CUS I SMOKE WEED.

FUCK DRUG USERS I LOVE JESUS.

All of that shit is gay, people need to enjoy what they enjoy and let others do the same.  What I meant with the claiming to be open-minded part is just that.  Mostly (in my experience) it would be the hippy kids hating on the other kids, when the other kids don't say a word to them.  In that sense it is very ironic.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma

#15054816 - 09/09/11 06:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, face-value is nice sometimes.

Invisiblemillzy
Male

#15054851 - 09/09/11 06:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Funguspants said:
Were you responding to me?

Not sure, I got what you were saying but not really where it was in response to be specifically.

Were kind of on the same page here though and I think you got it spot on too with that "scene" aspect being in highschool.

I think all scenes are annoying.  If you like something great, but don't be like OOOH THESE KIDS SUCK CUS THERE NOT IN MY SCENE.

FUCK THOSE KIDS CUS THEY LIKE SPORTS.

IM COOL CUS I SMOKE WEED.

FUCK DRUG USERS I LOVE JESUS.

All of that shit is gay, people need to enjoy what they enjoy and let others do the same.  What I meant with the claiming to be open-minded part is just that.  Mostly (in my experience) it would be the hippy kids hating on the other kids, when the other kids don't say a word to them.  In that sense it is very ironic.

oh, no i was just giving my input on the discussion b/c i was being a little flippant this morning when i replied first. it wasn't directed at anyone.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale