Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Surprisingly accurate..
    #1504632 - 04/29/03 03:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

This is a quote from Mark Twain that I recently came across...it's almost 100 years old and more relevant now than ever...

" The loud little handful -- as usual -- will shout for the war. The pulpit will -- warily and cautiously -- object -- at first; the great, big, dull bulk of the nation will rub its sleepy eyes and try to make out why there should be a war, and will say, earnestly and indignantly, "It is unjust and dishonorable, and there is no necessity for it." Then the handful will shout louder. A few fair men on the other side will argue and reason against the war with speech and pen, and at first will have a hearing and be applauded; but it will not last long; those others will outshout them, and presently the anti-war audiences will thin out and lose popularity. Before long you will see this curious thing: the speakers stoned from the platform, and free speech strangled by hordes of furious men who in their secret hearts are still at one with those stoned speakers -- as earlier -- but do not dare to say so. And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception."

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Surprisingly accurate.. [Re: Rono]
    #1504640 - 04/29/03 03:47 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

He's fuckin brilliant

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Surprisingly accurate.. [Re: Strumpling]
    #1504699 - 04/29/03 04:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds "unpatriotic" to me! :mad:

...he must be a peacnik!

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Surprisingly accurate.. [Re: Rono]
    #2141978 - 11/28/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

:thumbup:

bump

Offlinebigfatdork
Now I Have Teeth

Loc: North PoLL
Re: Surprisingly accurate.. [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2142042 - 11/28/03 01:39 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

Here's a few more:

http://www.twain2004.com/sb.html

Man is the only Patriot. He sets himself apart in his own country, under his own flag, and sneers at the other nations, and keeps multitudinous uniformed assassins on hand at heavy expense to grab slices of other people's countries, and keep them from grabbing slices of his. And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for the "universal brotherhood of man" -- with his mouth.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

I am quite sure that (bar one) I have no race prejudices, and I think I have no color prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. Indeed, I know it. I can stand any society. All that I care to know is that a man is a human being -- that is enough for me; he can't be any worse.

--------------------
"But it was alright, he had won the battle against himself, He Loved Big Brother"

Offlinebigfatdork
Now I Have Teeth

Loc: North PoLL
Re: Surprisingly accurate.. [Re: bigfatdork]
    #2142049 - 11/28/03 01:45 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

Few more:

The Majority is always wrong. Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

People seem to think they are citizens of the Republican Party and that that is patriotism and sufficiently good patriotism. I prefer to be a citizen of the United States.

Our Congresses consist of Christians. In their private life they are true to every obligation of honor; yet in every session

--------------------
"But it was alright, he had won the battle against himself, He Loved Big Brother"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion