Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
spirituality: shameless marketing ploy???
    #1503066 - 04/29/03 12:59 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

the word "spirituality" really interests me, because really...there is no tangible proof of an afterlife, or even of a "soul" existing.

-so then, the idea of spirituality is subjective, and can be defined in numerous ways, but it seems to me, throughout history, spirituality has been controlled, marketed and branded, and is a solidified cash crop.

-religion is an obvious example, religions claim to have a corner on the spiritual market....their spirituality is the BEST most LONG LASTING spirituality......which inevitibly results in the church making alot of money off its customers.

-nowaydays...spirituality seems to be a product in the form of books and vacations and other shit. buy this new "spiritual" book! it will change your life! buy Jeetak Bhamjal's new video series.....its sooooo fuckin "spiritual"

but what does that mean? or does it just play to peoples fears and desires of being content with an existence that has no concrete meaning?

-one of my roomates last semester used to see a "spiritual" advisor once a week...for a price.

so what does "spirituality" mean?

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: spirituality: shameless marketing ploy??? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1503160 - 04/29/03 01:41 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

marketing ploy? Obviously.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: spirituality: shameless marketing ploy??? [Re: Murex]
    #1503204 - 04/29/03 01:58 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i dont spend money on sprituality, unless you consider what i spend on psychedelics, and no one doing any marketing is getting that cash.

Creativity is proof of spirit.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Edited by thestringphish (04/29/03 02:01 AM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: spirituality: shameless marketing ploy??? [Re: thestringphish]
    #1503220 - 04/29/03 02:07 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Amen brotha!

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: spirituality: shameless marketing ploy??? [Re: Murex]
    #1504019 - 04/29/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I like rich buddhists the best. They are my favourite. I think it's cool to litter your bookshelves with millions of books that hold all the answers.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1504184 - 04/29/03 11:45 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Religion is organized and authoritarian, whereas spirituality is personal and subjective. I think of spirituality as a process of inner self-exploration. That's why I consider psychadelics to be spiritual--because they help me discover more about myself.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Edited by silversoul7 (04/29/03 11:46 AM)

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1504574 - 04/29/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Both "spirit" and "soul" are over-hyped words in my opinion. To me, "soul" is the state of my brain, that organic thing that is in charge of my body. My soul can be happy, angry, thirsty, horny, jealous, proud, compassionate, and many other things. My spirit on the other hand consists of something that is extended to causal structures that exist simultaneously within the soul and in the so-called "outside" world. This spirit is something that survives the physical death of my body (which will happen sooner or later) and it will also survive the death of my soul, unless of course someone comes up with technology that can bring back dead souls to life again, but even if they did I'm not sure what the point of that would be...

I didn't understand the spirit part of me until I had my first level 5 experience (or whatever the correct level number is). After that I understood that a true spiritual teacher can never ask for any payment in return for his teachings, because if they did they would have to deny relevant information to someone just because they couldn't pay, and for spiritual purposes that doesn't make any sense at all.

A disclaimer: Of course all of the above is according to *my* definition of "spirit", and others may or may not agree about those definitions. And maybe I should add that there is nothing "supernatural" about my definition of spirit: like I said it's just a causal structure that exists simultaneously within my brain and in the outside world. But anyone who thinks that it's not important is in for a big surprise :smile:

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: spirituality: shameless marketing ploy??? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1505247 - 04/29/03 04:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

it is my personal opinion that....the "spirit" must exist because, once someone is alive, he/she will be alive for eternity, because, before they existed, they were always going to exist one day, and after they existed, they will have always existed.....nothing can erase that period of time when they were alive, and that persons actions during their life time will leave an imprint on the universe in one way or another. this does not imply an after life though.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: spirituality: shameless marketing ploy??? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1505444 - 04/29/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The Tao of Being a Fucking Moron - that's my favorite

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: spirituality: shameless marketing ploy??? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1505990 - 04/29/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Soul, Spirit, Spirituality... words, all just silly words!

I really try to avoid using them as much as possible, but sometimes its necessary to describe a certain feeling... because that's what words are, just a verbal sound vibration which we use to convey feeling, which is really the true language of the universe. Telepathy, or empathy exists to those who are aware of how to communicate in this way, but for the rest of the time, we make due with these stupid languages of ours!

Anyways, if you want material proof of the existence of spirit, you're not gonna get it, because spirit itself, as I understand it, is completely non-physical. It's a sort of energy that you have to just "feel" or "know".

I totally agree that spirituality is becoming more and more marketed, and I will be the first to say that marketing is 100% pure bullshit. Which is not to say that the concept of the spirit or soul or whatever is also bullshit.

Proof that the astral body exists is out there. But what then is the astral body? Is that our spirit? Well, that's a damn good question, wish I had the brainfuel to elaborate on that right now!

But basically there is proof, not that I personally need it because I already know that there is a part of us, a higher self, which lives on forever, and which our bodies and minds are temporary vessels for. Without a way to record our DNA, upgrade it and reinsert it into the physical plane, evolution and therefore life itself would not even be possible. This is the way it seems to me, but what are these words I'm typing, and can I really convey what I am feeling to you, using this petty Earth keyboard?

hehehe

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale