Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

[CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends
    #15042343 - 09/07/11 11:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends
September 6, 2011 - timescall.com

A 21-year-old University of Colorado student died after a night of partying during the first week of classes last month, campus officials announced Tuesday, marking what is believed to be the first alcohol-related death of a CU student since fraternity pledge Gordie Bailey died of alcohol poisoning in 2004.

Michael Alexander Hoffman, an open-option major from New Jersey, was found unconscious on the doorstep of a house at 1429 10th St. around 1:40 a.m. on Aug. 26, according to a Boulder police report. One of the residents, who said that she did not know Hoffman, found him on her front porch and called 911.

Hoffman was taken to Boulder Community Hospital, but never regained consciousness. He died Aug. 30, according to the university, just seven days after he turned 21.

The Boulder County Coroner's Office on Tuesday said the cause and manner of Hoffman's death still are being investigated. Toxicology tests often take several weeks.

"We are saddened to hear of the passing of one of our students, Michael Hoffman, and we extend our thoughts and prayers to Michael's family and friends," Chancellor Phil DiStefano said in a statement, adding that the death is a tragic reminder to all students to be careful about their alcohol use.

"The loss of any of our students is a blow to our community and a harsh limit placed on the future of our world," he said. "I believe this is a challenge to us to continue our efforts in alcohol and drug education, as well as a strong incentive to strengthen our partnerships with the city of Boulder and other stakeholders to reduce the often tragic role that alcohol and drug abuse play in our state and community."

Looking for Adderal

When police found him, Hoffman's face was "a grayish color and he was lying in a puddle of vomit," according to the report, and authorities said they smelled a strong, distinct odor of alcohol.

The university said that it appears Hoffman had been out drinking and socializing with friends earlier that night, but at some point became separated from them. A Boulder police officer who went through Hoffman's phone while searching for emergency contacts found several missed messages from a friend asking, "Why do you always get so (expletive) up" and, "Where are you?"

Other messages show Hoffman may also have been trying to buy Adderal earlier that night; the prescription drug, used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, is a stimulant like cocaine and methamphetamine.

The police officer found a text Hoffman sent earlier in the night that said, "Let's get (expletive) up and do addy!," which police say is a reference to Adderal.

According to police, a friend named Andrew replied, "The whole state is dry right now." Hoffman, police noted, responded, "Let me know if you find some and I'll buy it from you."

Several residents in the area where Hoffman was found told the Camera on Tuesday that they did not recognize Hoffman's name and do not believe he lived in the area. Officials still are unclear where Hoffman came from or why he was in the area.

While Adderal has been known to be used as a study aid on college campuses, students queried by the Camera on Tuesday said they hadn't heard about it being used as a party drug.

"No, I've never heard of people doing that," CU sophomore Reed Thompson said. "It's a bummer that people feel the need to drink too much in order to have fun and put themselves in danger."

Gordie's legacy

If Hoffman's death ultimately is ruled to be alcohol-related, it's believed that it would be the first student alcohol death since Bailey's in 2004, Boulder campus spokesman Bronson Hilliard said.

Bailey, a Chi Psi fraternity pledge, died of alcohol poisoning after fraternity brothers took him and other recruits into the mountains for a hazing ritual that involved drinking whiskey and wine.

In the years since, CU dramatically increased its alcohol-education efforts.

"We've sent out more messages about alcohol and drugs in the last seven years than any time in the university's history," Hilliard said.

Hilliard said that the school knew Hoffman was in the hospital the night he was admitted, but could not announce his death until the coroner's office publicly released Hoffman's identity Tuesday.

A campus-wide e-mail regarding Hoffman's death was sent Tuesday afternoon.

"Whether there was a student death or not, we want to try and prevent this and to get it into students' heads to consider their safety around issues like drugs and alcohol is paramount," Hilliard said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: veggie]
    #15042564 - 09/07/11 12:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"We are saddened to hear of the passing of one of our students, Michael Hoffman, and we extend our beer mugs in a toast to his short life."

--------------------

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: OrgoneConclusion] * 3
    #15042594 - 09/07/11 12:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"Let's get (expletive) up and do addy!,"

one less loud drunk faggot on adderall at your next party.

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: veggie]
    #15042640 - 09/07/11 12:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I love how they're trying SO HARD to connect this to drugs instead of alcohol, when the kid clearly died from alcohol.

OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Loc: AustinDenverLA
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: nooneman] * 1
    #15042927 - 09/07/11 01:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I wanna get expletive!

--------------------

OfflineOldgregg
I'm old gregg!
Male

Loc: China Flag
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends *DELETED* [Re: LightShedder]
    #15043088 - 09/07/11 02:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Oldgregg

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: Oldgregg]
    #15043236 - 09/07/11 02:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"No, I've never heard of people doing that," CU sophomore Reed Thompson said. "It's a bummer that people feel the need to drink too much in order to have fun and put themselves in danger."

:lol:

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: nooneman]
    #15043238 - 09/07/11 02:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
I love how they're trying SO HARD to connect this to drugs instead of alcohol, when the kid clearly died from alcohol.

This is law enforcements logic:

"hey look, a dead kid lying in a pool of vomit, it "smells distinctly of alcohol", let's check his texts... O it appears he couldn't get any adderall.... Were waiting on the toxicology reports from the coroner, these things take weeks.... Were stumped."

--------------------

Offlineblackstatis
sycoknot

Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: LightShedder]
    #15043762 - 09/07/11 04:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

boulder sucks

OfflineJimLahey
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C...
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: 2859558484]
    #15043998 - 09/07/11 05:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wowitch17 said:
Quote:

"Let's get (expletive) up and do addy!,"

one less loud drunk faggot on adderall at your next party.

Thats what I am thinking, talk about the most annoying thing in the world. A bunch of bros hopped up on light beer and prescription uppers.

--------------------
"Why don't you get a life, Rick? Why don't you go to community college like Julian here? Hey! I got a good idea! You could teach Living In A Car and Growing Dope 101"

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: JimLahey]
    #15044099 - 09/07/11 05:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i never feel bad for people who get too messed up on booze cause they do it to themselves.

if dude would have smoke herb while drinking, he would have been too faded to take himself that far, and herb is illegal and not supported by the gov.

instead, dude drank and snorted addy which allowed him to feel like he could keep drinking, addy is legal and supported by the gov.

go fuck yourselves gov!

OfflineAtlantic Wind
 User Gallery

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: tealeaf]
    #15044278 - 09/07/11 06:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I think amphetamines are a great party drug :shrug:

Offlineuser1837483975
Male

Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: Atlantic Wind]
    #15044316 - 09/07/11 06:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, wtf? They've never heard of people taking addy as a party drug? it's speed! people have been using it for decades

Offlinetimelapses
Life in free form
Male

Loc: in a shroomery prison
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: user1837483975]
    #15045426 - 09/07/11 09:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Demonized alcohol strikes again and takes another victim.  If there just could be a way to have prohibition these things would not happen and people could of been saved from themselves.:mad2:

--------------------

OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: timelapses]
    #15045511 - 09/07/11 10:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I wish harsh prison sentences on the store clerk who dealt this poor victim the drug that took his life!

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #15045936 - 09/08/11 12:05 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"Let's get (expletive) up and do addy!"

I told u I was hardcore!  :gameover:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: Adamist] * 1
    #15046857 - 09/08/11 08:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You guys are being very insensitive about this man's death. The guy died.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Edited by veggie (09/08/11 08:24 PM)

OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: robbyberto]
    #15048310 - 09/08/11 01:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't see any benefit from being sensitive. Sensitivity ain't gonna bring the kid back!

--------------------

Edited by veggie (09/08/11 08:25 PM)

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: LightShedder]
    #15050661 - 09/08/11 09:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Poor dude, alcohol poisoning is a shitty way to go. I don't even like alcohol it tastes horrible, the high sucks, and its unhealthy for the whole body everytime you get drunk, and you know it the next morning.

Edited by sk8ordude (09/08/11 09:41 PM)

Offlinetimelapses
Life in free form
Male

Loc: in a shroomery prison
Re: [CO] CU-Boulder: Student, 21, died after night drinking with friends [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15052949 - 09/09/11 12:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sk8ordude said:
Poor dude, alcohol poisoning is a shitty way to go. I don't even like alcohol it tastes horrible, the high sucks, and its unhealthy for the whole body everytime you get drunk, and you know it the next morning.

To each their own.  I've had alcohol poisoning after drinking to much hard liqour on lsd and it lasted for two weeks and was horrible to go through.  This guy I would guess passed out and went out of this world painlessly. As the article said he never regained consciousness.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale