Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshroomblaster
Stranger
My first grow, a few problems [pics], what went wrong?
    #15038564 - 09/06/11 05:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

This is my first post, but I have been chugging the Shroomery for a few months now. A lot of smart people here, I was hoping to get some feedback on my first grow. I wrote some questions for each individual photo.

I inoculated 3 PF jars with B+ (purchased from spores101).

Crushed the colonized jars up and spread onto vermiculite and cased with 50/50 mix (no oyster shells). I made the mistake of putting the casing immediately into fruiting conditions. (is that bad?) I got started on misting in the terrarium and 12/12 hrs of light as soon as I put everything into the tray. Is there a better way to start off the casing?

About a week in...

I started noticing what appeared to be cobweb mold. I treated every bit that looked strange with hydrogen peroxide which I think helped. I have yet to see a large patch of thick cobweb form, but I have continued to see small amounts of what looks like cobweb throughout the whole tray. I feel I've kept it at bay for the most part.

Just under 2 weeks in I start seeing some pins. They start appearing very slowly. Soon, I have about 2 or 3 1-2" shrooms with a few other very small pins spread throughout the tray. Also does this appear to be overlay to anyone?

Today I have 3 3-4" shrooms along with maybe 6-10 semi small ones and about 10 visible pins. Not a whole lot of growth here.

What do you think I've done wrong? Obviously i'm sorta doing it right, I have some nice healthy looking shroomies, but just a very low yield for having used 3 cakes.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Edited by shroomblaster (09/06/11 05:29 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: My first grow, a few problems [pics], what went wrong? [Re: shroomblaster]
    #15038627 - 09/06/11 05:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

What is a PJ jar? Do you mean PF?

Quote:

Crushed the colonized jars up and spread onto vermiculite and cased with 50/50 mix (no oyster shells).

You have to grate that shit with a cheese grater or something to get it in very small pieces. Vermiculite isn't a bulk substrate :crazy:

How big is that container? Most people spawn like 10-20 PF jars or even more to bulk in a tub. I don't see any FAE holes. It's all very patchy due to it not being thoroughly mixed.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Offlineshroomblaster
Stranger
Re: My first grow, a few problems [pics], what went wrong? [Re: Wing]
    #15038648 - 09/06/11 05:37 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

winged_1 said:
What is a PJ jar? Do you mean PF?

Quote:

Crushed the colonized jars up and spread onto vermiculite and cased with 50/50 mix (no oyster shells).

You have to grate that shit with a cheese grater or something to get it in very small pieces. Vermiculite isn't a bulk substrate :crazy:

How big is that container? Most people spawn like 10-20 PF jars or even more to bulk in a tub. I don't see any FAE holes. It's all very patchy due to it not being thoroughly mixed.

Whoops, my bad. PF jars.

But, according to the Sea of Shrooms Tek, it didn't seem like much mycelium was necessary. But I will try using more and breaking it up better.

What's a good bulk substrate? Rye grain? Any particular teks that anyone has used that have produced high yields?

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

#15038670 - 09/06/11 05:43 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Check out my sig. The mono I used Wild Bird Seed, spawned to coir. Its all in there. You could replace WBS with PF cakes I suppose.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15038779 - 09/06/11 06:06 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I've had a similar result after trying to fruit earlier than I should have and the 2nd flush turned out much better. I'm not sure why but my theory was that some of the mycelium was still using it's energy to grow through the casing rather than contributing to the mushroom growth.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation