Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers
    #15036839 - 09/06/11 09:48 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_7a38c903-779d-55a7-9be5-c4262d345018.html

Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers

Kirk Naylor's client understood that he was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver after police found 49.3 pounds of pot in his car last summer.

But he needed an explanation of the second count, violation of Nebraska's drug tax stamp law.

Here's a short one: People hauling drugs through Nebraska are required by law to buy stamps to affix on the packages -- even though drugs are illegal in the first place. The stamp doesn't legalize the transport, but it's illegal to not have it.

Deepa Buss, spokeswoman for the Nebraska Department of Revenue, offered a more detailed explanation.

"The 1990 Nebraska Unicameral passed and Governor Kay Orr signed LB260 establishing a state tax on illegal drugs," she wrote in an email. "The intent of the law was to give law enforcement an alternative tool against drug dealers. If a prosecutor couldn't win a conviction for selling drugs, he might be able to send the suspect to prison for failing to pay the drug tax. Or the prosecution could win a conviction on both charges, increasing the potential penalties."

Naylor, a long-time Lincoln criminal defense attorney, said he described the law to his client, who then asked: "Does anybody buy those things?"

Naylor guessed the answer was very few. And he was right.

In the past 20 years, 531 drug tax stamps have been purchased in the state's six regional Department of Revenue offices. The stamps sell for $10, $50, $100, $500 and $1,000.

State law requires dealers to pay a tax of $100 per ounce of marijuana trafficked, $150 per gram of controlled substance and $500 for 50-count units of drugs not sold by weight, such as steroids. To prove they paid, dealers must affix stamps to containers full of drugs.

Getting caught without a stamp comes with a possible penalty of as many as five years in prison, a $10,000 fine and payment of double the taxable amount of any seized drugs, Buss said.

Convictions are rare, Naylor said. Mostly, the charge is used as a plea-bargaining tool.

But his recent client's case went to a bench trial, and he lost. Last month, the client was sentenced to 18 to 36 months in prison for the distribution conviction and 12 months for the tax stamp violation, although the sentences are to be served at the same time.

"It didn't cost him any more time," Naylor said.

Naylor said he'd never heard of someone dodging the drug tax stamp violation because the proper labels were affixed to a brick of pot.

Buss said she has no idea why the stamps bought at the Lincoln office were purchased. Specific taxpayer information is strictly confidential, she said, meaning the identity of the person who bought the only $1,000 stamp sold remains a mystery.

The best guess is that it was a  collector.

"Purchasers of these stamps were presumed not to be drug dealers, but stamp collectors," Buss said. "The stamps are sold no questions asked and the department's records of stamp sales cannot be used as evidence against a drug dealer in any criminal action."

The stamp shows a marijuana joint and a syringe laid out, crossbones style, in front of a skull and a tombstone.

Buss said she recently found the original sketches in a folder at the Nebraska Department of Revenue's Lincoln office. The artwork was done by Mike Heil, a former forms management analyst who also designed the covers of state income tax forms but since has died.

On the Internet, his artwork remains admired.

"This is one of the best-looking stamps available," reads a description on one website that offers drug tax stamps for sale.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: dwpineal]
    #15036941 - 09/06/11 10:23 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Here's a short one: People hauling drugs through Nebraska are required by law to buy stamps to affix on the packages -- even though drugs are illegal in the first place. The stamp doesn't legalize the transport, but it's illegal to not have it.

:dudewtf:

Quote:

State law requires dealers to pay a tax of $100 per ounce of marijuana trafficked, $150 per gram of controlled substance and $500 for 50-count units of drugs not sold by weight, such as steroids. To prove they paid, dealers must affix stamps to containers full of drugs.

:awewtf:

:awenuhuh:

Yeah... make a lot of sense... taxing something illegal...

And they wonder why not so many people buy these stamps... :facepalm:

It's called the black market...

Eh.

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

InvisibleEarth Child

Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: Simplepowa]
    #15036954 - 09/06/11 10:26 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Simplepowa said:
Quote:

:dudewtf:

Quote:

:awewtf:

:awenuhuh:

Yeah... make a lot of sense... taxing something illegal...

And they wonder why not so many people buy these stamps... :facepalm:

It's called the black market...

Eh.

Local laws :confused: ah, I hate this state

--------------------
Life is too short for this sorrow. You may be here today and gone tomorrow.

My Poetry · Stay Informed · Recipes · Nature Wants Us to Trip

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: Earth Child]
    #15037172 - 09/06/11 11:39 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

LOL

The Nebraska government is pulling the same BS that the feds did back in the day. Why would any buy tax stamps, instantly incriminating themselves as a potential dealer of illegal drugs? Retarded.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflineRemix
grammer natze
 User Gallery

Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: dwpineal] * 1
    #15037367 - 09/06/11 12:46 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

So, on one hand, the local government is admitting that even though these drugs are illegal, they will still be around and, on the other hand, they're making sure they get the money they would be due if these drugs weren't prohibited in the first place. :what:

That's actually pretty clever, even if brazenly corrupt.

--------------------

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: Remix]
    #15037943 - 09/06/11 02:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

There is actually a lot of states that have a tax on illegalized drugs (especially weed) and yes, this questionable kind of tax evasion is in fact enforced in almost every one of those states.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

OfflineRemix
grammer natze
 User Gallery

Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #15037967 - 09/06/11 03:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah. I think I remember it was either Kentucky or Kansas that tried enforcing these sorts of tax stamp laws when they started "cracking down" on some of the newer RCs being sold as legal highs.

--------------------

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: Remix]
    #15038516 - 09/06/11 05:14 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

So somewhere a person has the only $1000 stamp ever sold? That really does sound like quite a collectible, could be worth quite a bit more some day.

--------------------

OfflineNeonLyteDayDream
Stranger

Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: Kizzle]
    #15038699 - 09/06/11 05:48 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Is it wrong that I want to collect them??

OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Loc: South Park Colorado
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: NeonLyteDayDream]
    #15038736 - 09/06/11 05:56 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

My friend from NOrth Carolina said they have this law there to

--------------------
"Snow is like sex. You never know how much your gonna get or how long it's gonna last"

OfflineDoDahDay
Stranger?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat country
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: King Cap]
    #15039759 - 09/06/11 09:52 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Do people that evade legal materials taxes in these states get a 12 month sentence for not paying them?  People get away with hundreds of thousands of dollars of tax evasion and dont get this kind of offense. 

Well...except for Wesley Snipes.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction!  Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: dwpineal]
    #15040444 - 09/07/11 12:41 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dwpineal said:
The stamp shows a marijuana joint and a syringe laid out, crossbones style, in front of a skull and a tombstone.

That is kinda stylin' in a satiric way. How ironic.

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: Toe_Jam]
    #15047479 - 09/08/11 01:14 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Buss said she has no idea why the stamps bought at the Lincoln office were purchased. Specific taxpayer information is strictly confidential, she said, meaning the identity of the person who bought the only $1,000 stamp sold remains a mystery.

The best guess is that it was a  collector.

"Purchasers of these stamps were presumed not to be drug dealers, but stamp collectors," Buss said. "The stamps are sold no questions asked and the department's records of stamp sales cannot be used as evidence against a drug dealer in any criminal action."

I think if most people knew that lil nugget of gold they would be buying a hell of a lot more stamps. But whats the point I guess, if you cant beat the stamp charge even if you have it stamped to your drugs. :rofl2:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: snoot]
    #15047715 - 09/08/11 02:07 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

State law requires dealers to pay a tax of $100 per ounce of marijuana

If those are the sorts of taxes they would put on cannabis if it were legal maybe I'm better off now.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15048440 - 09/08/11 04:19 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sk8ordude said:
State law requires dealers to pay a tax of $100 per ounce of marijuana

If those are the sorts of taxes they would put on cannabis if it were legal maybe I'm better off now.

until you get fisted by the man

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: Drug tax stamps have not been hot sellers [Re: snoot]
    #15050608 - 09/08/11 11:25 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Its a possibility, but I know more about the man then the man does me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service