Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
A. amerimuscaria vs. Amanita muscaria var. guessowii
    #15034639 - 09/05/11 09:41 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

What's the current theory on this? I was under the impression that these two were the same fungus; the only difference being cap pigment, which isn't enough to justify a new species. Yet, this post from Tulloss says that this should not be used as an umbrella name for A. muscaria that are identical in all features but color:
http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/20044
http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/16015

Anyone know the current taxonomical status of this critter; or better yet, where is the authoritative source of this status?

--------------------
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms said, "...the rule of thumb is to avoid any bolete with orange to red pores, especially any that bruises blue."
Lincoff, (1989). The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (pp. 562). New York: Knopf.

STICKY: Hunting/ID Sub-Forum General Guidelines
STICKY: ID Request Guidelines
www.youryoure.com

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: A. amerimuscaria vs. Amanita muscaria var. guessowii [Re: tangoking]
    #15035042 - 09/05/11 10:41 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

do you really wanna mess with that  just kidding  but taxonomy is sometimes a mess , or a ego stuff , but the mushrooms dont really care how you call it .....

any ways rod tullos is the one to call

and dna analisis , i have also the impresion that many mushrooms just dont care our taxonomy and they change as they fell like  , maybe evolving  , and i guess is like that in diferent weather climate, or  forest ..

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

OfflineFungi01
John Plischke
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Pennsylvania
Trusted Identifier
Re: A. amerimuscaria vs. Amanita muscaria var. guessowii [Re: cactu]
    #15035316 - 09/05/11 11:36 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I believe I was told that here in the eastern US, white, orange and red cap ones are all just color forms of A. amerimuscaria.  There is a peach one in the Gulf called Amanita muscaria var. persicina that is different.

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: A. amerimuscaria vs. Amanita muscaria var. guessowii [Re: Fungi01]
    #15039866 - 09/06/11 10:13 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fungi01 said:
I believe I was told that here in the eastern US, white, orange and red cap ones are all just color forms of A. amerimuscaria.  There is a peach one in the Gulf called Amanita muscaria var. persicina that is different.

That's what I remember; but apparently more DNA analysis is necessary before this statement can be made.

So, for now, the yellow one is A. muscaria var guessowii.

Unless, of course, the community accepts my proposed naming convention, stated here:

Red: A. amerimuscaria var rutilus
Yellow: A. amerimuscaria var crocus 
White: A. amerimuscaria var niveus

--------------------
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms said, "...the rule of thumb is to avoid any bolete with orange to red pores, especially any that bruises blue."
Lincoff, (1989). The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (pp. 562). New York: Knopf.

STICKY: Hunting/ID Sub-Forum General Guidelines
STICKY: ID Request Guidelines
www.youryoure.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification