Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
cotton balls in place of polyfill
    #15030967 - 09/05/11 02:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yes, no?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEl Douche
El Douchius Maximus

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Drippin Outa Da Vag Flag
Re: cotton balls in place of polyfill [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #15031022 - 09/05/11 03:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, but fungus can eat it when wet/moist.

--------------------
I'm The Douche, Doucher, His Royal Doucheness, or El Doucherino if you are not into that whole brevity thing.

Trade List : Wanted/have edible cultures, ethobotanicals, cool plants, cacti.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cotton balls in place of polyfill [Re: El Douche]
    #15031100 - 09/05/11 05:01 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

and since its a natural fiber it WILL harbor contams, so my :2cents: is no. :nono:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Re: cotton balls in place of polyfill [Re: 13shrooms]
    #15031406 - 09/05/11 07:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:whathesaid: Pollyfill all the way, you can get it at Hobby Lobby or even Wal-Mart. It's pretty cheap too.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: cotton balls in place of polyfill [Re: DynGBreeD]
    #15031855 - 09/05/11 10:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Cotton was the gold standard for filters right up until polyfill came along.  Polyfill works better for reasons stated above, but if kept dry, cotton is the equal.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cotton balls in place of polyfill [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15034436 - 09/05/11 07:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I was going to use Doc's tek where you use polyfil in the inoculation port.

If you are familiar, you still use the layer of tyvek under the lid, use polyfil in the inoculation port, then use 2 coffee filters over the top after you have inoculated.

Do you feel like it would be safe to use cotton balls in this method? or do you feel polyfill is vital?

I will probably just get polyfill anyways because I will need it for the holes on the side of my monotubs but consider the jars would be completely dry, I was wondering if I could substitute the two safely

*My old method of inoculation was to use the tyvek layer but instead of using polyfil in the inoculation port, I would simply cover the port with micropore tape after inoculation. But Doc's method seems like it might be more contam resistant.

Opinions?

InvisibleHarry Jackson
Spliffsmith
Male User Gallery

Loc: Area 51
    #15034642 - 09/05/11 07:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:
Opinions?

RTV high temp silicone. :laugh:

--------------------
Everything I say is a lie.

"The mind and body must be subjected to extreme stimulus, by means of drugs and music."
~Hunter S. Thompson

I am a sybaritic, an epicure of the most deviant kind. Hedonism is my religion, and I devote my life to sensuous pleasure and decadence.

So who are you to tell me how to live my life, 'cause I won't give this up, these are my shoes, my view, my cue to say I do give a fuck!
And pretty soon I'ma bloomin' it'll be alright, 'cause every day's another chance to ignite, 'cause I'm addicted, I'm addicted, I'm addicted to this universal feeling of life

I feel like a child, so naked and wild, your body's my playground, where pure is defiled :gethigh:

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cotton balls in place of polyfill [Re: Harry Jackson]
    #15034705 - 09/05/11 07:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You know what. I have been interested in self-healing inoculation ports for a long time. I dont have the funds to start that right now, but a couple months down the road and I will most certainly be looking for a tek on how to make them.

I have about 30 bucks left to budget for this project. and that is going to be split between bird seed, polyfill, rubbing alcohol, coco coir, and oven bags. Should come out right around 30 bucks.

Making my expenditures 150-160$

InvisibleHarry Jackson
Spliffsmith
Male User Gallery

#15034768 - 09/05/11 07:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

it's not particularily expensive. My $9 tube did 30 jars injection ports and I stuck 4 bits of tyvek on each with it, too. You should definitely investigate it for next time.

--------------------

"The mind and body must be subjected to extreme stimulus, by means of drugs and music."
~Hunter S. Thompson

I am a sybaritic, an epicure of the most deviant kind. Hedonism is my religion, and I devote my life to sensuous pleasure and decadence.

So who are you to tell me how to live my life, 'cause I won't give this up, these are my shoes, my view, my cue to say I do give a fuck!
And pretty soon I'ma bloomin' it'll be alright, 'cause every day's another chance to ignite, 'cause I'm addicted, I'm addicted, I'm addicted to this universal feeling of life

I feel like a child, so naked and wild, your body's my playground, where pure is defiled :gethigh:

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15034840 - 09/05/11 08:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I will. Especially since lids generally need to be replaced every couple of months. When I go to buy new lids for my jars, I will make sure to convert them

So when you use self-healing ports then you dont have to worry about contams as much? You just use the layer of tyvek? Are the lids dishwasher safe?

InvisibleHarry Jackson
Spliffsmith
Male User Gallery

Re: cotton balls in place of polyfill [Re: KillerPicklez] * 1
    #15034948 - 09/05/11 08:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

mine have been thus far. Worst thing is the lids rusting, but you can cover it up with more rtv. No big deal.
And yeah, my contam rate went straight down. For my tyvek, I cut out little squares and glued them over holes, 2 holes per lid, tyvek both sides, rather than cover the whole jar mouth.

With injection ports, I end up doing most of my inocs in open air in a carpeted room. Contams are rare for me now. Just gotta be logical about your sterility procedures.

--------------------

~Hunter S. Thompson

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15034978 - 09/05/11 08:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you much for the info sir, +5

:borat:

InvisibleHarry Jackson
Spliffsmith
Male User Gallery

#15034985 - 09/05/11 08:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

no problem, good luck with your grow!

--------------------

~Hunter S. Thompson

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15034999 - 09/05/11 08:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

thanks man, I have grown on and off for several years but I am to that point where I am fine tuning my techniques to lower contams and increase yields.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #15035110 - 09/05/11 08:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14186384/page/3

why those lids are the best http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12543108

synthetic filter discs NEVER have to be replaced unless you puncture them (which you should never have to do), they get sterilized during each PC run and last forever.

self healing ports are easy as putting a glob of rtv in another hole in the lid and let it cure.  port done. :super:

docs wbs tek is slightly outdated w/the lids :smirk:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15035162 - 09/05/11 09:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

what is a synthetic filter disc? is that just an alternative to tyvek because it looks the same.

I noticed that with his tek, but it works. and I need something that works. I am not in a position where I can afford to fail. I am only getting 1 syringe so I have to make it work.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #15035207 - 09/05/11 09:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

http://everythingmushrooms.com/cultivation-tools/canning-jars-and-accessories/synthetic-filter-discs-wide-mouth-90mm-one-dozen/

you will never have to replace them or buy more, ever.  nothing beats it.:woot:

tyvek will work if you have a fairly clean environment BUT I dont take chances. :smirk:

when it comes to filters its all about micron size to keep the contams out, SFDs are the only thing made for this, the rest (poly/tyvek) are the inferior substitutes because they dont have a micron rating thats small enough (.2) to keep every contam away.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12543108

--------------------

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15035216 - 09/05/11 09:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That is another thing I will have to purchase next go around

Would using 2 layers of tyvek be better than 1 or do you start losing FAE when you do that?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #15035233 - 09/05/11 09:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

it depends on the tyvek, postal tyvek has a micron rating of between 30-60:thumbdown: so doubling up would work fine, just not on the inside of your lids, only on top. :grin:

if you have a dupont tyvek suit then its micron rating is .5 so a single layer of that would be fine. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #15035251 - 09/05/11 09:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:
or do you start losing FAE when you do that?

Im just being a stickler here but you dont want fae for jars, just gas exchange, you want CO2 to be able to escape out the jar so it doesnt suffocate your myc.
if you have fae being supplied to your jars then you are going to get early pinning or invitro mushrooms or contams. :smirk:

Im a stickler for correct terminology :yesnod:

:super:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract