Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecubeladd
Stranger
Loc: Sunny ol' England
Growing contaminated cakes
    #6348032 - 12/08/06 01:16 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I have been told in the past that a contaminated cake cannot be used and must be thrown away. Though assuming that I cut off all of the contaminated area and any uncolonized parts of the cake it don't see why I couldn't have a sucsessful grow, as even though bad spores would be present in my cake they would have nowhere to germinate and spread out as all the substrate would be taken up by the mycelium.

There's probably another reason why it still wouldn't work, but I thought I may as well still ask.

--------------------
"The only thing I'm high on is Love for my Son and Daughters. Yes, a little LSD is all I need."
-Marge Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing contaminated cakes [Re: cubeladd]
    #6348044 - 12/08/06 01:23 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

it can work, just not usually likely.

the fact that it was contaminated in the first place tells you it isn't very healthy.  healthy cakes can fight off contaminates, unhealthy ones fall victim, and contaminate spores can have a field day germinating and feeding off of dead mycelium.  the "fully contaminated cakes are resistant to contamination" assume they're fully colonized with live, healthy mycelium. :wink:

also, some molds are white, they only take on their colored appearance when they sporulate... like green mold for example.  so in some cases you might cutt off the green part, but what you don't realize is you've left some of the mold behind still growing on the cake.

throwing it away at first signs of contamination is wise for sanitary reasons.  don't allow molds to grow so that they aren't dumping spores in your work and grow areas, or else things get harder in the future to keep clean!

OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
Re: Growing contaminated cakes [Re: creamcorn]
    #6348275 - 12/08/06 03:05 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Agreeing completely with creamcorn, thou... In the past I had some cakes that where contaminated, some of them just for a little, some of them for a lot. When you see a little mold growing on the cake (and is already outside of the jar) you can pour over a little solution of H2O2, and see if the contamination goes away. If not, just cut the contaminated part away from the mycelium.
A couple of times happened also that over a good casing started to come here and there some green spots, almost at the end of the fruiting stage. Very little green and moldy spot that were saying inside of our minds: "You have to throw in the garbage the whole stuff!!!" :undecided:
What did we do?
We carefully examinated the mushrooms and if there was almost no mold over them, we dried and preserverd them for some time, before consuming. Nothing bad happened indeed :laugh:
So just take care about the mushroom and don't let the mold expand, and you'll be just fine :smile:

--------------------

Offlinetotal
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing contaminated cakes [Re: Mex]
    #6348317 - 12/08/06 03:18 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

iv heard that cutting out and filling in with salt works with casings...you could try that with cakes...

Offlinecubeladd
Stranger
Loc: Sunny ol' England
Re: Growing contaminated cakes [Re: Mex]
    #6349815 - 12/09/06 12:22 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mex said:
Agreeing completely with creamcorn, thou... In the past I had some cakes that where contaminated, some of them just for a little, some of them for a lot. When you see a little mold growing on the cake (and is already outside of the jar) you can pour over a little solution of H2O2, and see if the contamination goes away. If not, just cut the contaminated part away from the mycelium.
A couple of times happened also that over a good casing started to come here and there some green spots, almost at the end of the fruiting stage. Very little green and moldy spot that were saying inside of our minds: "You have to throw in the garbage the whole stuff!!!" :undecided:
What did we do?
We carefully examinated the mushrooms and if there was almost no mold over them, we dried and preserverd them for some time, before consuming. Nothing bad happened indeed :laugh:
So just take care about the mushroom and don't let the mold expand, and you'll be just fine :smile:

I figured that I may as well attempt to case and grow it, it may fail but if I chuck the cake away then it's definatly failed. I will wait until my current grow has finished though as I don't want the spores to contaminte my nice healthy first grow! Thanks to everyone who has given advice so far :smile:

--------------------
"The only thing I'm high on is Love for my Son and Daughters. Yes, a little LSD is all I need."
-Marge Simpson

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Growing contaminated cakes [Re: cubeladd]
    #6349830 - 12/09/06 12:30 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You can put contaminated cakes into your houseplant soil any time of the year, and get small fruits later growing right next to your plants. Both benefit and the project isn't a failure.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebongtoke420
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Growing contaminated cakes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15024278 - 09/03/11 06:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

for real? you can put them in your soil and mushrooms wil lgrow that are edible?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds