Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Why isn't bulk subtrate colonizing the casing layer?
    #1501862 - 04/28/03 07:07 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Some trays of colonized horse dung were recently cased with 50/50. It's not 50/50+ because it's only peat and verm but it is at pH 7.5 because it seems that Scotts brand peat is already pH balanced.

The mix was 5 cups verm, 5 cups peat and about 4 cups water. This was pasteurized in the microwave and applied to the trays to a depth of 3/4 of an inch.

After nearly a week, some trays show small patches of mycelium sparsely poking through and some show no colonization of the casing layer.

The trays are translucent but light is blocked with foil. When the foil is moved to peek at the underlying substrate, it appears to be healthy and uncontaminated.

Currently the only theory is that the casing is a bit too wet; but it's not soaking and does not seem to be contaminated. Any input, thoughts, ideas of what to do?

Thanks for any help.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: Why isn't bulk subtrate colonizing the casing layer? [Re: psyphon]
    #1501921 - 04/28/03 07:30 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>some show no colonization of the casing layer.
what happens inside of your translucent ..describe it or pic

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1501946 - 04/28/03 07:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

How thick is the casing layer?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why isn't bulk subtrate colonizing the casing layer? [Re: z@z.com]
    #1502169 - 04/28/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The mix was 5 cups verm, 5 cups peat and about 4 cups water. This was pasteurized in the microwave and applied to the trays to a depth of 3/4 of an inch.

The last tray got only a thin dusting because the mix had run out. By the next day some mycelium had grown into the casing, presumablely because it was so thin it dried out a bit. It was too thin though so more casing was mixed up and applied to that tray so it too has a layer of 3/4 of an inch. This tray has shown the most growth but it is still only small patches formed from a few rhizomorphs, not even growth like one would want. All of these small growths in all trays have been patched with more casing material; this material seems to have a bit better moisture content.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1502189 - 04/28/03 08:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Did you TEST the pH? If not, I would wager it is WAY off & that is the problemo.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why isn't bulk subtrate colonizing the casing layer? [Re: SixTango]
    #1502212 - 04/28/03 08:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yes I used a pH meter bought at a garden center. I know its not the best but it should be close enough. Plus I've had success with this casing mix in the past.

--------------------
- Marcel Proust

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags