Home | Community | Message Board

ElevationChemicals.com - Reagent Test Kits
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblethe_damn

Loc: Hell Flag
Growing conditions & environment questions
    #15017175 - 09/02/11 01:49 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

FYI, I'm planning on doing my first grow in Damion5050's Elementary Coir Tek.  I'm really new to this, but I'm a fast learner and diligent researcher.  Now, for some questions!

So... I'm curious about the ideal growing conditions, environment, and substrate of mycelium versus the fruiting mushrooms--stuff like air exchange (or lack thereof); humidity and temperature ranges; substrate pH and nutrient presence... etc. First of all, what are the differences between these aspects of growing during each stage of growth (colonizing and fruiting)?

1) For instance, in reading the forums I've learned that colonizing mycelium likes an environment that is absent of light and CO2 rich, whereas the fruiting stage likes to have FAE and ample lighting--is that a true statement?  Can someone knowledgeable please elaborate on the gas & lighting aspects of a growing chamber when it comes to the different stages of growth?

2) As for temperature and humidity: I have come to the understanding that ideal ranges for these aspects are around 70-85F degrees and, basically, as much fucking humidity as physically possible.  Is that true, and if so does it apply to all stages of growth (from inoculation to fruiting)?  And what are the max/min boundaries of temp & humidity, i.e. how low or high can I go before I start running into problems, and what problems will I encounter in those situations?

3) I rarely see anyone on here make mention of pH and/or nutrient issues, but every once in a while they do, and unfortunately they don't provide much information.  I come from a marijuana cultivation background (that is to say I researched the hell out of growing bud, but never had the opportunity to actually do it), and I know pH/nutrient issues are key in weed growing; but how do these issues affect mushroom cultivation, and what methods can I use to ensure ideal conditions when it comes to pH/nutrients?

4) A side question: I've read that crushed up drywall with the paper sides torn off is basically just as effective as regular gypsum when it comes to growing.  Is this true?  I have a shitload of unusable drywall that's been sitting in my garage for about a year now, and I'd love to put it to good use :smile:

THANKS EVERYONE, ANY INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED.  HAPPY GROWING!

EDIT: I realize that some of this may vary depending on different teks/setups.

Edited by the_damn (09/02/11 01:56 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblearchivist
5-HT
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing conditions & environment questions [Re: the_damn]
    #15018000 - 09/02/11 04:27 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

1) Yes. A drop in C02 levels (via the introduction of fresh air) is a fruiting trigger. If you're using a pan, cover it with a lid or foil or plastic wrap but make sure it's not airtight because colonizing mycelium still needs gas exchange. When fully colonized, introduce in a fresh air rich, high humidity environment. You can't have too much fresh air -- the trick is keeping the RH high as well.

2) Down to 80-90% RH is okay as long as you mist regularly and have a casing layer. You want to aim for 90% if at all possible.  If you're planning to do a monotub, the moisture content on the substrate essentially maintains the desired ambient humidity.

3) I've never really worried about ph sticking with the tried and true recipes. Manure with 10% vermiculite and 5% gypsum works really well. Even straight coir works fine. Cubensis is about the least demanding mushroom you could grow.

4) Yes. The only catch is drywall with fungicidal additives (to prevent mold). That isn't great for mushroom growing for obvious reasons.

Good luck with your grow. Make sure you make friends with the search function.

--------------------

Proud supporter of the canning jar industry.

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing conditions & environment questions [Re: archivist]
    #15018347 - 09/02/11 05:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

1) Give it indirect light. No need for darkness. That's outdated info. Ambient sunlight in your room is good enough.

2) While colonizing try to keep the temps no higher than 82F. High 70's is best. You want high CO2 but still need some gas exchange so make sure its not airtight. When you introducing fruiting conditions, drop the temp to the low 70's. Humidity needs to be 95%+ during fruiting. No lower than 90%. It can be lower when colonizing but make sure its not low enough to dry out.

3) Just throw in a small handful of gypsum when you boil your water for damion5050's oir tek. It's not going to break your grow if you don't but it can help. I've not used it yet but it has things that can benefit your grow.

4) Yea its the same. Just make sure its not treated with something.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
Re: Growing conditions & environment questions [Re: Wing]
    #15018884 - 09/02/11 07:28 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

winged_1 said:
1) Give it indirect light. No need for darkness. That's outdated info. Ambient sunlight in your room is good enough.

No need for darkness? I'm pretty sure having a period of darkness is important. That's why a 12 on 12 off cycle is recommended.

Anyways, here's some links for the op. You seem like a smart enough person, op. I got faith you'll have a good first grow. :cheers:

RR on co2 and lighting
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13354922/fpart/all/vc/1
RR on pinning triggers and growing conditions
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6686698#6686698
and
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5940197#5940197
And Ryath on troubleshooting fruiting
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5940197#5940197

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing conditions & environment questions [Re: maug]
    #15018925 - 09/02/11 07:39 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yea that was about colonizing. The total darkness idea is outdated. A normal cycle of daylight, like what a room with windows gets is fine.

EDIT: when its pinning and fruiting, a 12/12 cycle is a must.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Edited by Wing (09/02/11 07:41 PM)

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
Re: Growing conditions & environment questions [Re: Wing]
    #15018964 - 09/02/11 07:45 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

gotcha. I thought you were saying to keep light on it 24/7

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing conditions & environment questions [Re: maug]
    #15019012 - 09/02/11 07:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

LOL I guess I could have said it more clearly. Yea 24 hr light would be bad since it seems that they really explode during the dark hours.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation