Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1503794 - 04/29/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Top performers in almost every market lose stores and marketshare from time to time. It's called making adjustments. GM does it all the time. I know this sounds weird but losing is all part of gaining. You find where your product is consuming the most resources and when it is found the company makes a re-adjustment into a market that is more efficient. It's all part of the business world, ya win some market share and ya lose some market share. Besides Coca-cola is the largest beverage distributer in the world i believe. It's bound to go down from time to time.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: wingnutx]
    #1503810 - 04/29/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fast food is just the favorite whipping boy of anti-Americans.

Not surprisingly, I disagree. Fast food is the whipping boy of anybody with more than half a brain. If that makes us anti-American, what's it say about all you 'patriots' that eat that shit?

fast food = fast death.

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Edited by jimsuzo (04/29/03 09:30 AM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: jimsuzo]
    #1503821 - 04/29/03 09:31 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

What is the big deal with fast food anyway? Sure it's bad for you if that's all you eat but unlike many ignorant (meaning that you don't know, so don't start your whining) foreigners just assume that that's all we eat. I bet ya that i'm in better shape than a lot of you. I play hockey a couple times a week, i'm active, i ski both water and snow, and many other activities and eat at a fastfood place at least once a week or so...maybe twice depending on the situation.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblewingnutx

#1503892 - 04/29/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

For the record, I am a health nut. I just don't feel the need to demonize a burger-selling clown, like I don't feel the need to demonize tobacco or marijuana, even though I use neither.

I do go slumming and eat McDonalds about once a month.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1504372 - 04/29/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

My dog will NOT eat mcdonalds...everything else though....?!.....

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1504540 - 04/29/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

----foreigners just assume that that's all we eat

more than half of the american population is obese. not overweight....obese. so its very easy to assume things that are obviously true.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1504590 - 04/29/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

not overweight....obese.

F-A-T. :grin:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: RadioActiveSlug]
    #1504612 - 04/29/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1504623 - 04/29/03 01:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Inny, you have shown that you are an ANECDOTE, and if to be believed (and I believe you), that you are a healthy exception--an American who has managed to achieve that delicate balance between too many empty, fat-laden calories and an active lifestyle plus a healtheir diet, then Good on ya!

Consider, though that if everyone ate at fast-food places at the rate you claim to, we we wouldn't be inundated with them!

But if you stand at just about any given spot in any given U.S. city, you will see, with only the minimal pivoting of the neck or torso, a wide range of fast-food restaurants offering their own versions of an unhealthy diet. AND, you will see a line-up at the drive-through, and plenty of follks, many of whom are tagged along by nagging kids of ten years and younger.

So the question remains: how can all these various fast-food places stay in business if the average individual visits one once or twice a week???

Another question remains: Are we a "Fast-food Nation"? And if so, what effect is that having on our overall health?

Some facts to consider:

61% of adults in the United States were overweight or obese (BMI > 25)* in 1999.
13% of children aged 6 to 11 years and 14% of adolescents aged 12 to 19 years were overweight* in 1999. This prevalence has nearly tripled for adolescents in the past 2 decades.
The increases in overweight and obesity cut across all ages, racial and ethnic groups, and both genders.
300,000 deaths each year in the United States are associated with obesity.
Overweight and obesity are associated with heart disease, certain types of cancer, type 2 diabetes, stroke, arthritis, breathing problems, and psychological disorders, such as depression.
The economic cost of obesity in the United States was about $117 billion in 2000.

*BMI = Body Mass Index (I don't claim to understand this exactly)

source

Of course, fast-food places are not the cause of all this, but a factor--yet another indicator of the serious struggles facing a fast-growing, incredibly wealthy society.

hongomon

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: hongomon]
    #1504704 - 04/29/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I will say that fastfood is a bad thing to eat frequently, but it is all simply individual choice. If a person wants to do something unhealthy for themselves who am I to stop them?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: freedom = fastfood [Re: z@z.com]
    #1505380 - 04/29/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Who said anything about stopping them? In fact I agree. However, objectively speaking, don't you see how our massive support of the fast-food industry is a contributing factor to the problems I referred to?

But even there, you're right--it's our own right, and if half the population wants to eat itself into all sorts of health problems and even death, what better place to do it than in the land of the free?

This does, however, indicate, as I have suggested before, that while we have come to see our individual rights as sacrosanct (and I'm not totally against that) our concept of responsibility to society is a much more difficult one to define, let alone promote. In the current system the health problems and deaths will become, unfortunately, a burden on society. That's a reality to be concerned about, unless we live in a libertarian paradise, where a person's health burdens and/or death are his or her own problems, or that of caring family or strangers.

hongomon

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

#1505406 - 04/29/03 05:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

What is the big deal with fast food anyway?

Do you realize the growth hormone content in your average fast food beef (not to mention fat)?

Quote:

I bet ya that i'm in better shape than a lot of you.

cool that you're active. I bet you are in better shape than most (but not me). A water skiier as well? - maybe we can get together some time and do some skiing?

For the record, I'm not a foreigner (but I think you know that).

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1505853 - 04/29/03 07:49 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Do you realize the growth hormone content in your average fast food beef (not to mention fat)?

who are you trying to be? Someones nagging mom? So What?

Quote:

For the record, I'm not a foreigner (but I think you know that).

it was a general comment..

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

#1506797 - 04/30/03 04:12 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

who are you trying to be? Someones nagging mom?

No, I simply answered your question, "What is the big deal with fast food anyway?" - Remember?

Quote:

So What?

You're really not very smart, are you?

--------------------

Edited by jimsuzo (04/30/03 06:17 AM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1506807 - 04/30/03 04:29 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Bean sprouts contain Arsenic.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblewingnutx

#1507200 - 04/30/03 09:58 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

You're really not very smart, are you?

that's an ad hominem there, sparky.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1507289 - 04/30/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

he's mad because i don't agree with him, he's been following me all morning.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale