Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegrimrs
Stranger
U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting
    #15001670 - 08/30/11 02:45 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/30/us-usa-mexico-atf-idUSTRE77T3NT20110830

(Reuters) - The head of the agency that oversaw a botched attempt to track arms flowing to drug cartels in Mexico is being reassigned to Justice Department headquarters, the Obama administration said on Tuesday.

Kenneth Melson, who has been acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, has been under fire and admitted mistakes in the sting operation meant to try to crack down on the flow of weapons to violent drug gangs.

He will be reassigned to the Justice Department's Office of Legal Policy as an adviser on forensic science, the Justice Department said. The attorney for Minnesota, Todd Jones, will serve as acting ATF director.

In further fallout from the operation, the attorney for Arizona, Dennis Burke, has resigned and the lead prosecutor on that case in the office has been reassigned, according to an administration official.

Another administration official said this is a chance for a "fresh start given everything they've gone through lately" at ATF.

The operation, dubbed "Fast and Furious," has spawned congressional and internal Justice Department probes and put the Obama administration on the defensive about whether dangerous weapons were knowingly allowed to cross the border.

Republicans in the U.S. Congress have been demanding the Obama administration explain who knew what and when about the ATF program, which was conceived of and run out of the agency's Phoenix division.

Authorities had hoped they would be able to follow the guns to cartel leaders, but ATF agents did not track the weapons after they were transferred from the initial buyer to others. Some agents have said they were not allowed to continue the pursuit.

Instead, numerous weapons from the operation, which began in late 2009 and ran through 2010, have shown up at crime scenes in Mexico and the United States.

U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry died in a December 2010 shootout on the American side of the border and two guns found there have been traced to the sting. It is not yet known if those guns were used to fire the fatal shots.

Mexican authorities have complained bitterly about the thousands of guns that cross the border from the United States each year and want Washington to do more to stem the flow.

President Barack Obama has nominated a permanent director for ATF, Andrew Traver of the agency's Chicago office, but the gun industry has opposed him. Melson is a career federal employee.

Melson took the unusual step of being interviewed on the July 4 holiday by congressional investigators. During those discussions he acknowledged mistakes had been made and other law enforcement agencies had had critical information that they did not share about their targets.

(Reporting by Jeremy Pelofsky and Steve Holland, editing by Deborah Charles and Eric Beech)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: grimrs]
    #15001896 - 08/30/11 03:37 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Or... They could simply stop giving the gangs a reason and funds to need so many guns.

OfflineKillerSpores
Grand champion of Cyrodiil
Male User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana Flag
Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15002204 - 08/30/11 04:48 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sk8ordude said:
Or... They could simply stop giving the gangs a reason and funds to need so many guns.

Not possible man. Gangs will always have another way to make money. You can NEVER stop gangs no matter what you make illegal.

--------------------
01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00001101 00001010 Look it up.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: KillerSpores]
    #15002747 - 08/30/11 06:37 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KillerSpores said:
Quote:

sk8ordude said:

Not possible man. Gangs will always have another way to make money. You can NEVER stop gangs no matter what you make illegal.

Very true.  Drugs are an easy money maker for gangs.  Once legalized, the quick profits from selling them goes up in smoke so the gangs will have to resort to other crimes to obtain their income.  After the fall of prohibition, police resources will be better used to go after actual criminals rather than chasing harmless druggies.  They can focus their efforts on tackling gangs and whatever new crimes they commit to make their money.  Rest assured whatever they do, it probably won't be as easy nor as lucrative as drug sales.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: SuperD]
    #15002959 - 08/30/11 07:25 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed legalization wouldn't totally get rid of criminals however there are few people I've known who are involved in the drug business that would actually involve themselves in other criminal activity. There might still be criminal organizations after but there would certainly be a huge reduction in the actual number of them.

It'd also be much easier to go after people who commit other crimes as they are much harder to commit without leaving any evidence for the cops since someone is actually victimized unlike drugs where a deal can occur and go unnoticed. The cops might be able to actually do real honest to god police work instead of the manipulation they use in so many cases to bust drug users and dealers.

Edited by Mycjunky (08/30/11 07:28 PM)

Offlinedurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: Mycjunky]
    #15003367 - 08/30/11 08:56 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

No such thing as a black market, without false, moral paranoia.

It's also done with ugly knockoffs, obsolete refrigerants, and rather ordinary looking, small birds.

You wanna ban guns, you're creating a black market.

I had watched an episode of Davy Crockett, when he approaches the Scottish orchardmen with a longgun. I did not fear for their lives, without the context of prohibitionism.

And , I'm wondering whether such formerly-controlled substances as tea, molasses, and tobacco used to seem as conspicuous as drug paraphernalia might seem today.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: durian_2008]
    #15003796 - 08/30/11 10:25 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

There knowingly letting guns across the border I wouldn't be suprise if Obamica is acting as arms dealer.

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #15004043 - 08/30/11 11:23 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I suppose socio and psychopaths would still be around, but for the most part hustlers will stay hustlers, they will just have to find another void they can fill.

Also production will continue and the stuff still has to be moved to the people so there would be more jobs as many drugs will each become multibillion dollar industries. Also over a million drug users a year wont be put in prison to become more dangerous criminals, or have no other way to put food on the table when they get out.

The US supplies nearly everybody else, so I wouldn't be surprised. Not to mention various drug war conspiracies or the secretive 3 letter agencies

Edited by sk8ordude (08/30/11 11:26 PM)

Invisiblemonkeyheaven
Male

Loc: yonder
Re: U.S. guns agency chief reassigned after botched sting [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15005557 - 08/31/11 10:21 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sk8ordude said:
The US supplies nearly everybody else,

I heard the #1 US export is the dollar.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service