Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline760Rollz
Out the game for now. Peace all
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
My Herbarium
    #14998937 - 08/29/11 10:28 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well Saturday was a good day for me.  I went over to my grandmas house to say hello and bring the grand kids to see her.  When I was over there I found my old mushroom collection.  The collection was old and there were only a few that are worth keeping.  It's a start to my mushroom herbarium.
I wrote down some facts about the mushroom finds and kept them with each mushroom.  Here's what I have:

Found on 12/26/10 in Escondido, CA growing on wood chips and mulch.  The Cap was flat to wavy and knobed.  When it was fresh it was 1.5" The stem was 2.5" to 3" long and about .25" thick.  The stipe had vertical lines and a faint annulas ring around the top of the stipe.  The stipe was whitish and was stained orange. The spores  print looked a purplish, brown, cinnamon color, but I would have to think that the spores had an orange tint since the stem was stained orange.  I posted some other pics of this find in an older post.  In the older post Byrain identified the mushrooms as Leratiomyces ceres and Alan Rockerfeller confirmed Byrain's ID. 

This was a black morel I found.

These were found last winter in Oceanside, CA.  The caps measured from 2" to 3" broad.  They were bell shaped to flat with brown flat scales.  The gills were pinkish and crowded I couldn't tell you if they were free or attached.  I need help to learn this identification tool.  The stipe was from 1" to 2" long and they were about .25" thick.  The stipes were white and they all had a flaring ring around them.  The spore print was blackish in color. 

I know these pics aren't that good of this mushroom.  It was a wonderful mushroom when it was fresh.  I found this one in Oceanside, CA It was a wavy up turned waxy brown cap which measured 3" to 4" broad.  The stipe was 1.5" to 2" long and was a 1" thick.  The gills were crowded and I couldn't get much of a spore print.

Then once I got home I checked the mail and found a copy of the Fungi Perfect catalog.

--------------------

Edited by 760Rollz (08/29/11 11:06 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefrenchtoaststix
Male

Loc: Southern California
Re: My Herbarium [Re: 760Rollz]
    #15000127 - 08/30/11 03:37 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

3 is most likely an Agaricus sp. I think that's the most anyone can tell you about any of them.

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #15000625 - 08/30/11 09:18 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

are you going to fix and mount them somehow?

similar to the way museums display insects?

wonder how long they could last before truly decomposing

--------------------

Offlinefrenchtoaststix
Male

Re: My Herbarium [Re: masspan]
    #15001953 - 08/30/11 03:49 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

That would be so cool to have display mushrooms that are preserved. Has anyone even seen one before?

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: My Herbarium [Re: frenchtoaststix]
    #15002007 - 08/30/11 03:59 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

760Rollz, I used to live in Oceanside.  If you go down to the residential streets just east of the main drag on 101 you'll notice that the streets are lined with Oak trees.  During the Fall/Winter look for Laetiporus gilbertsonii, the local species of "Chicken of the Woods".  I collected a ton when I lived there, but found out that I don't enjoy the flavour. 
Here are my terrible photos:

--------------------

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

#15002673 - 08/30/11 06:19 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

if you had truly bone dry mushrooms i would think you could spray shellac them and mount them under a sealed plexi-glass container

healthy east coast chickens taste awesome if they are prime, but the west coast gets things in massive abundance that we don't on the east coast, it all works out somehow

funny gif of oprah Curecat, thanks

:sunny:

--------------------

Edited by masspan (08/30/11 06:21 PM)

Offlinefrenchtoaststix
Male

#15002729 - 08/30/11 06:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I meant preserve them like they do with butterflies. They look like they could come back to life. A dry mushroom doesn't have the same appeal. I'm sure it would be much more difficult than insects though, maybe impossible. Are there any mushroom wax museums? :laugh:

I had to save the gif in my funny folder. :lol:

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

#15002847 - 08/30/11 06:58 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinefrenchtoaststix
Male

#15002895 - 08/30/11 07:11 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yep so awesome! Thanks. :rockon:

Offlinemannyftw
Stranger
 User Gallery

#15003108 - 08/30/11 08:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeaaaah, 760 represent! Anyone else looking forward to the rainy season? This heat is getting a bit uncomfortable... Can't wait to see what pops up around my area. There's a canyon I'd like to visit, but I know there's rattlesnakes there since I've seen them before.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: My Herbarium [Re: mannyftw]
    #15004235 - 08/31/11 12:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Rattlesnakes are cool if you don't let them bite you.  My area code is still 760 but haven't lived there in 5 yrs.

--------------------

Offline760Rollz
Male User Gallery

Re: My Herbarium [Re: CureCat]
    #15004244 - 08/31/11 12:15 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

frenchtoaststix said:
3 is most likely an Agaricus sp. I think that's the most anyone can tell you about any of them.

I remember thinking it might be a Agaricus campestris.  But I'm not that great at putting an ID on mushrooms yet.  That is something I hope to learn during this coming mushroom season during forays with SDMS.

Quote:

masspan said:
are you going to fix and mount them somehow?

similar to the way museums display insects?

wonder how long they could last before truly decomposing

Quote:

frenchtoaststix said:
That would be so cool to have display mushrooms that are preserved. Has anyone even seen one before?

I don't really have any plans for them.  I'm just collecting them to collect.  I guess it's just part of my hobby.

Quote:

CureCat said:
760Rollz, I used to live in Oceanside.  If you go down to the residential streets just east of the main drag on 101 you'll notice that the streets are lined with Oak trees.  During the Fall/Winter look for Laetiporus gilbertsonii, the local species of "Chicken of the Woods".  I collected a ton when I lived there, but found out that I don't enjoy the flavour. 
Here are my terrible photos:

Small world CureCat.  What part of Oceanside did you live in if you don't mind me asking?  I've lived in Oceanside my entire life.  I have seen some really cool mushrooms in the lawns of the homes just west of 101.  I will have to raise my head up and look at the trees this season.  Thanks for the heads up.

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #15004279 - 08/31/11 12:24 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I lived on Garfield St. in Oceanside. 

Hang out with Sam and Dennis of SDMS.  Dennis has long brown hair and is in his 40's I think, he is one of the better identifiers and is quite a cool guy.  Sam is also way cool (guy in his 30's, red head, goatee), he is the current president and is also a member of this board, but I won't divulge his user name.

--------------------

Offline760Rollz
Male User Gallery

Re: My Herbarium [Re: CureCat]
    #15008271 - 08/31/11 08:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:
I lived on Garfield St. in Oceanside. 

Hang out with Sam and Dennis of SDMS.  Dennis has long brown hair and is in his 40's I think, he is one of the better identifiers and is quite a cool guy.  Sam is also way cool (guy in his 30's, red head, goatee), he is the current president and is also a member of this board, but I won't divulge his user name.

Thanks

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification