Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAdamantis
Stranger
Quick LME/LC question
    #14998718 - 08/29/11 07:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

When making honey water LC one can not pressure cook too long because the honey will caramelize.

How is it with light malt extract (or ELME), can I pressure cook ad infinitum? Any recommendations on time to cook a litre (quart) of LC-water?

Bonus question if anyone feels inspired:

Is there a reason for not making LC on just LME? And if one can pressure cook LME ad infinitum, why bother with honey?

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
Re: Quick LME/LC question [Re: Adamantis]
    #14998769 - 08/29/11 07:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I personally dont feel like buying lme or elme when honey does great for me and i already had the honey, i also dont really worry about carmelization. I just steam for 45 minutes.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#14998771 - 08/29/11 08:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

All sugars will caramelize if cooked to long, but even if it does it is not such a problem.

The best sugar to use in LC's is light colored malt, which you can find at party supply / brewery supply stores.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Loc: HyperSpace
    #14998865 - 08/29/11 08:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

where did you get the notion that lme wouldn't caramelize?

--------------------
Exalted is He from what they utter. Exalted is He from what they imagine. Exalted is He that exists without a place. Exalted is He that was there forever without a time or a beginning. Exalted is He that will be there forever without a time or an end. Exalted is He that will forever be praised. That is your God.

InvisibleMeetzu
G̙̗͙̞̮͖̥a͉̭̹r̝̹͖̬d̞̮̻̪en̫̭e̱r̼
Male

Re: Quick LME/LC question [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #14998867 - 08/29/11 08:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I just made my first plain ELME LC. There is a bit of sediment (a very little bit) but less than I would get with honey. I did have it about 3" above the bottom of my aa 25x. Myc is doing great in it. I decided to go with it rather than honey because of less adjustment in sugar content for the myc going from it to rye than from honey to rye.

--------------------

InvisibleMeetzu
Male

Re: Quick LME/LC question [Re: SexySmurff]
    #14998882 - 08/29/11 08:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SexySmurff said:

In my experience it is much less of an issue. If I can get caramelization from honey at about 60 mins @ 15psi and have virtually none at 90 minutes with ELME.. I'd say that's a difference.

--------------------

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Loc: HyperSpace
Re: Quick LME/LC question [Re: Meetzu]
    #14998919 - 08/29/11 08:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

90 minutes for liquid culture?  :eek: i don't even do 90 minutes on my grain jars. to be more specific at 15lbs i do liquid culture and agar for 30 min and quart jars for 60 minutes.

--------------------
Exalted is He from what they utter. Exalted is He from what they imagine. Exalted is He that exists without a place. Exalted is He that was there forever without a time or a beginning. Exalted is He that will be there forever without a time or an end. Exalted is He that will forever be praised. That is your God.

OfflineAdamantis
Stranger
    #14998963 - 08/29/11 08:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys, great answers! So perhaps 60 min on 15 psi is ok with LME.

Quote:

SexySmurff said:

I didn't, it was my question.

"When making honey water LC one can not pressure cook too long because the honey will caramelize.

How is it with light malt extract (or ELME), can I pressure cook ad infinitum?"

Ergo, will it caramelize or does it only go for honey. When reading guides, caramelization is mostly mentioned with honey and that strange corn syrup you guys use (don't think we have that in my part of the world).

But now I know that all sugars caramelize. Thanks!

InvisibleMeetzu
Male

#15000943 - 08/30/11 09:29 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SexySmurff said:
90 minutes for liquid culture?  :eek: i don't even do 90 minutes on my grain jars. to be more specific at 15lbs i do liquid culture and agar for 30 min and quart jars for 60 minutes.

It may indeed be over-kill but I haven't had a bad one yet when doing them from syringes :grin: I also do quarts at about 60 minutes. Usually it hangs out around 15psi for closer to 70-75 because I don't vent pressure.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder