Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
the mindless western ape
    #1498557 - 04/27/03 06:18 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I think its funny how modern-westerners (north americans/euros) romanticize eastern culture and mysticism into this pure little flawless ideal that doesnt exist.

Its also funny when westerners "ape" eastern spiritual practices in order to attain something they dont understand that doesnt even exist. (enlightenment)

just my opinion though........thoughts?

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1498564 - 04/27/03 06:21 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Are you saying enlightenment does not exsist?

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Offlinegedezia
backlash
Loc: heaven
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1498597 - 04/27/03 06:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

maybe a distinction should be made and emphasized between tangible knowledge (what one can word and fill up message boards with) and silent knowledge. an absolute truth is that everyone knows infinitely more than what is usually available to them much of the time. hence inner silence, a different point of reference.. or whatever. words can make one feel very enlightened, but they have a tendency to fail you in the end; assuming youre going anywhere.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: gedezia]
    #1499035 - 04/27/03 09:30 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've been finding myself making this point many times everyday on these boards lately. It's a pretty common thing to believe among hippies I know. The East... especially India is really spiritual... yeah right. When's the last time you visited a town without a church?

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: Dogomush]
    #1499452 - 04/27/03 11:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I don't think "western" Buddhism is close to the real thing... but it seems to be what's in right now... people talking about chi and chakras and shit...

I guess esoterica is the new cool.

It's the world we live in. Just you wait...
But to tell the truth I'd rather follow a degenerate, bastardized form of Eastern thought.... at least it's better than Christianity.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1499498 - 04/27/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Im grateful that we live in times where we can easily access previously hidden and sacred practices and beliefs of spirituality.

Enlightenment definatly exists - but its already with us. Its just a matter of wether or not we can become aware of it in ourselves. Techniques like meditation are very useful, not only for enlightenment - but for healing, awareness, ego death , etc.

Now I agree that many people are Searching for something externally, and are further deluding themselves. This happens and has always happened.

The ultimate journey is the journey within, once you have faced that, anything that happens on the outside does not appear so threatening.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1499712 - 04/28/03 01:00 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not into any one specific religion/culture, but I have activated chatkras before I knew what they were. I won't give in to any cultures' ways (religious too) just cuz they see simillar things than me on my path- that would be the worst thing (imo) I could do.

The only correct way to enlightenment, is within yourself, not someone else.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: Murex]
    #1499762 - 04/28/03 01:24 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Most buddhism is not close to the real thing, if you compare the religion of modern buddhism from anywhere with the actual teachings of the buddah, it's incredibly funny how twisted it has become, From simple guidlines on a way of life to bring about peace and enlightenment(which does exist, saying it does not is like a person who has never experienced love saying love does not exist, just ignorant) a full blown religion has emerged, complete with idols, alters, and priests. Completley rediculous, but the same thing happens with most major religions. Christianity, Jaineism, Confucionism(that ones really absurd in how it got twisted), etc...

I've always wondered why The Buddah is depicted as a jolly fat man? He fasted for so long before he atained enlightenment he was skinney as a toothpick, so why is he fat in the idols? The only explanation is mabey it's supposed to be him before he left his material life, but why would that image be idolized? To me these images look more like Bodhidharma,  without the facial hair. Or mabey it's just an Asian Santa Clause:grin:

Anyone know what the deal is with the fat Buddah idols? 

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

Re: the mindless western ape [Re: thestringphish]
    #1499836 - 04/28/03 02:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yes, the funniest thing about buddhism is that buddha basically said

"dont follow me, there are infinite paths to enlightenment"

but humans are DUMB. not me though, and not you (wink)

--------------------

Offlinecleaner
Stranger

#1500061 - 04/28/03 05:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

All this talk about east is good west is bad, or west is the shit india is the nuts

All of this is crap.

There are good AND bad, damb AND smart, enlightened AND profain people in every race in every corner of the earth.

However, what we sould be concerned about is the majority of population - the domesticated apes who truly and madly belive that the whole universe revolves around them.

--------------------

Edited by cleaner (04/28/03 05:55 AM)

Offlinequemo
dontknowitall

Loc: worldcitizen
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: cleaner]
    #1500343 - 04/28/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hear hear!!

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: quemo]
    #1500380 - 04/28/03 10:16 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I dont think theres anything wrong with people here (The West) looking for some manner of spirituality in the East. They obviously cant find what they're looking for in this society, and so what if the things they find arent "Original" or "Proper". If it makes that individual person find a bit of peace and spirituality in themselves, who are you to knock them?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: the mindless western ape [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #1500924 - 04/28/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Some people get lots out of mushrooms, others just get funky nights with weird colours. Some find meaning everywhere, some have to follow trends to India to find meaning. I live in hippy land so I encounter people all the time who talk about how India is so amazing and their religions are so much more spiritual and all that, but I think it's just how you look at things. India is trendy and we have it in our heads that India's the only place you can find yourself, but to me that's laughable. You just gotta look around and pretty soon you'll find all the meaning and spirituality you could ever want right underneath your nose. If you gotta fly around the world to find yourself, then what's the point? It makes me think of people who search for the ultimate product. One day soon, they are going tofind the car that leaves them more satisfied than ever before and they can finally die knowing they've fulfilled their purpose on this planet. But you're right, who am I to knock them, really?

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

Re: the mindless western ape [Re: Dogomush]
    #1501289 - 04/28/03 04:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

my only problem with the hypothetical (based on reality) people I am talking about is.....they create a romanticized, ignorant ideal of a culture that doesnt really exist, and then they follow this ideal blindly, and I think its silly.

it seems that, to north americans.....these so called "spiritual" cultures are just consumable products. products they can simplify and then consume to become "spiritual"

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1501307 - 04/28/03 04:14 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Enlightenment for the masses.
Packaged for individual comsumption by America Inc.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

Re: the mindless western ape [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1501328 - 04/28/03 04:18 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yeah.....and then people seeking spiritual cultures over-run these countries and completely mutate them from being beautiful peaceful places into north american theme parks.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order