Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

Loc: HMAS Hammersley
foul/sour smell coming from filterpatch, bacterial contamination (headypoo compost)?
    #14989080 - 08/27/11 10:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey..like 3 days ago I spawned some brf to headypoo & sealed in mycobags

Of like 8 2lb bags I made, 2 are colonizing, 1 of which has a sour/crap/cant pinpoint smell,), 6 have not shown much signs of colonzation yet since I spawned. All the bags except the 1 mostly colonized bag have this weird not exactly sweet or sour but I guess its kind of like that smell. I only get the smell when I am right up to the filterpatch..but the 1 bag does not produce this smell..which I can only describe as being 'off' or rancid or something. Sounds like bacteria.

The jars appeared fine a few days ag & smelled good when birthd, & the headypoo was prepasteurized. Do you think this is operator error or possibly the compost?

I put the ones with the sour smell in a cardboard box (is there any reason to even keep them?). The odd 1 that colonized strong and doesnt smell I am keeping (though part of me thinks I should chuck it..becuase it seems like the whoel set was contam).

Here is the one that colonized strong.. even this one you can tell is a bit on the wet side. I didn't even think to mess with the moisture level on the headypoo..just figured it was if anything too dry probably having been shipped at field capacity.
Keep your fingers crossed that this bad survives! I feel like an ass.. I bought fuckin mailorder compost thinking it would be CAKE. I feel 20x more comfortable with the coir/verm I pasteurized my self..atleast I know it was done. Not that I have any reason to not trust headypoo.. It's just you never know when you leave it up to someone else.

Edited by buffer (08/27/11 11:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

Re: foul/sour smell coming from filterpatch, bacterial contamination (headypoo compost)? [Re: buffer]
    #14990540 - 08/28/11 10:13 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well I decided theres no way around it..the sour smell is bad in every way. I am chucking the bags today.

Do you think this could be a mistake I made or the pasteurization process of the headypoo? It's not like theres huge room for error spawning 100% colonized jars..

Anyway, 1 bag is colonizing strong and doesnt smell..do you guys think I should hold onto it? Is it possible this 1 bag didnt contam?

Also, about the moisture content of the colonized bag.. the content really didnt rise until it colonized because the other bags do not look like they have as much moisture, but they hav eno progress, & a sour smell.

Edited by buffer (08/28/11 10:15 AM)

InvisibleHeadyPoo.comV
Headiest Shit Ever!
Male

Loc: USA & CANADA
Re: foul/sour smell coming from filterpatch, bacterial contamination (headypoo compost)? [Re: buffer]
    #14996074 - 08/29/11 11:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey Brother,

That bag I sent you was definitely pre-pasteurized... no worries there. Since one of your bags is "colonizing strong," its very unlikely that it's a problem with the compost, since it was all sent to you in a single filter patch bag.

If the compost in the bag was contaminated, ALL of the bags that you made up would have contaminated. The only thing I can think of is that something went wrong during the spawning procedure.

The excess moisture in the bottom of that bag are metabolites... nothing to worry about. Here is a quote from RogerRabbit on metabolites:

"Colonized poo trays sometimes emit a little honey yellow, to as dark as Tobacco juice colored metabolite type waste on the top of the tray. So long as it colonized nicely & the metabolite waste doesn't turn into a gusher. It's good to go. Been there & done that a few times, especially with big bulk trays that had a strong cow/poo mixture in them. The stuff is commonly called MYC PISS. If it's fully colonized, add a casing cover & go for it."

Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any other questions.

Much Love,
Ryan

--------------------
www.HeadyPoo.com

Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

Re: foul/sour smell coming from filterpatch, bacterial contamination (headypoo compost)? [Re: HeadyPoo.com]
    #14996105 - 08/29/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HeadyPoo.com said:
Hey Brother,

That bag I sent you was definitely pre-pasteurized... no worries there. Since one of your bags is "colonizing strong," its very unlikely that it's a problem with the compost, since it was all sent to you in a single filter patch bag.

If the compost in the bag was contaminated, ALL of the bags that you made up would have contaminated. The only thing I can think of is that something went wrong during the spawning procedure.

The excess moisture in the bottom of that bag are metabolites... nothing to worry about. Here is a quote from RogerRabbit on metabolites:

"Colonized poo trays sometimes emit a little honey yellow, to as dark as Tobacco juice colored metabolite type waste on the top of the tray. So long as it colonized nicely & the metabolite waste doesn't turn into a gusher. It's good to go. Been there & done that a few times, especially with big bulk trays that had a strong cow/poo mixture in them. The stuff is commonly called MYC PISS. If it's fully colonized, add a casing cover & go for it."

Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any other questions.

Much Love,
Ryan

Ryan is right guys... I am pretty damn sure his compost was fine (or you'd have a lot of unhappy campers, and he has a perfect eBay rep). I think I know where I went wrong and It's pretty dumb. Mixing the compost/crumbling cakes with bare hands.

I spawned some bags of coir/verm that I past my self the other day and I lost 3 of 8 of the bags to bacteria too..so it's def me.

Nothing wrong with Ryan or his business & I will be back for sure for that exotic heady shit! Also, for anyone who didn't see my post in the supporter forum, Ryan is from Headypoo, & hes a nice dude. Stays on top of his orders. Plus I ended up with variety of gifts with my compost order..who woulda thought.

Edited by buffer (08/29/11 11:44 AM)

InvisibleHeadyPoo.comV
Headiest Shit Ever!
Male

Loc: USA & CANADA
    #14996157 - 08/29/11 11:49 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You're alright Buffer :cool:

Thanks for the kind words.

By the way, here is a discount code exclusive to Shroomery members: SHROOMERY  (clever, isn't it?) which will get all members 10% off their orders.

--------------------
www.HeadyPoo.com

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: foul/sour smell coming from filterpatch, bacterial contamination (headypoo compost)? [Re: HeadyPoo.com]
    #14996351 - 08/29/11 12:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

bacteria is not a big problem at all.

birth your substrate and rinse it off under the faucet.

lots of fresh air is the remedy to bacterial issues

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

Re: foul/sour smell coming from filterpatch, bacterial contamination (headypoo compost)? [Re: k00laid]
    #14997646 - 08/29/11 04:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

k00laid said:
bacteria is not a big problem at all.

birth your substrate and rinse it off under the faucet.

lots of fresh air is the remedy to bacterial issues

Well I didnt have bacteria problems in the jars or anything, this is once I crumbled to compost & it never started colonizing. The bacteria smell came like 24hours+. Anyway those bags are chucked (the compost ones) except for the one that colonized strong and dixnt pick up the bacteria smell.

I have 4 bags of past. coir/verm I spawned to that developed this smell maybe from being too wet combined with some bacteria, and 4 that went strong and started colonizing with no bacteria. I dumped the 4 on the grass in the alley for the fuck of it. It's way to busy to like bend over and put straw over it..it would look shady lol. It looks like I was just littering that way :wink:

I think next time I am going to try what you are saying with the air, and if I get that smell maybe just pop open the bag. It shouldnt contam other bags around it if they are sealed right? Thes are .5um micron though.

Edited by buffer (08/29/11 04:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder