Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: a social revolt]
    #15538814 - 12/19/11 08:42 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Colonization should take anywhere from 1 weeks, to 3 weeks. At that temp I'd say you're in the middle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblea social revolt
retired cultivator

Loc: Brooklyn, NYC Flag
Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: Icesyn]
    #15552032 - 12/21/11 05:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

dude...

you're a lifesaver...

is it a big deal to open and look?

I did it once, wore a mask, lysol apocalypsed beforehand..

but im worried about triggering pinning thru FAE

im sure they are doing great tho

thanks brosef

--------------------
:legoman:

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: a social revolt]
    #15552041 - 12/21/11 05:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You should be good. I didn't take any precautions when I peeked. Way to be.

Invisiblea social revolt
retired cultivator

Re: How To Spawn Cakes To A Bulk Substrate! [Re: Icesyn]
    #15710392 - 01/24/12 05:48 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thought you'd appreciate this...

Remember I tried your tek and had horrible results in my SGFC?

Well I threw that shit in the trash on the patio andddddd....

:cheers:

--------------------

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

Re: How To Spawn Cakes To A Bulk Substrate! [Re: a social revolt]
    #15710705 - 01/24/12 08:39 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That's pretty cool, but maybe you didn't get the best results due to poor maintenance?

Invisiblea social revolt
retired cultivator

#15712179 - 01/24/12 03:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Wellllllllllllll....

No, when it comes to fruiting im always on my A-game! I think my trays just took a super long time to colonize, and I fruited them too early...

Also, my SGFCs are consistently humid and at the same temp- outside where I currently am, the humidity and temps have fluctuated A LOT in the last couple of weeks, but have remained awesome for mushies (south FL).

Perhaps they needed to get cold and less humid (below 65 degrees and 75% humidity) for a day or two, then slowly heat up, and then the next week receive almost 100% humidity (due to natural humidity + being sealed in bags) and higher temps (my patio doesn't receive direct sunlight this time of year tho, so the temp should be consistent, but change no more than 10 degrees up or down from morning to noon to evening...)?

They were pretty much sealed in bags all day and all night getting almost 0 FAE/GE (except for a couple tiny holes on the bottom of the bag)...

Plus a natural light cycle and such, right?

--------------------

OfflineStonerDude77
That Dude

Loc: Somewhere out there
    #16924274 - 09/27/12 11:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Would throwing a little bit of hydrated lime in here seem like a bad idea? Considering it's a PH buffer and can reduce the possibility of contamination and premature or late pinning.. Maybe 5% by volume?

--------------------
"I think, therefore I am.."
Rene Decartes

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

Re: How To Spawn Cakes To A Bulk Substrate! [Re: StonerDude77]
    #16925670 - 09/28/12 09:01 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

StonerDude77 said:
Would throwing a little bit of hydrated lime in here seem like a bad idea? Considering it's a PH buffer and can reduce the possibility of contamination and premature or late pinning.. Maybe 5% by volume?

I haven't worked with hydrated lime. If you have experience using it and think it's worth the try then absolutely go for it!

Invisiblea social revolt
retired cultivator

#16946193 - 10/01/12 04:03 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icesyn said:
Quote:

StonerDude77 said:

I haven't worked with hydrated lime. If you have experience using it and think it's worth the try then absolutely go for it!

Hydrated lime has no place in mushroom cultivation, and try not to bump old threads with questions that can be answered using the "Search Posts" tab above.

Hope I helped.

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #16946221 - 10/01/12 04:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

a social revolt said:
Quote:

Icesyn said:
Quote:

StonerDude77 said:

Hydrated lime has no place in mushroom cultivation

What about in a casing layer with peat as a ph buffer?

or

"If you simmer rye grass seed, you will have a mucky mess. Be sure to use twice as much grass seed by volume as water(dilute coffee especially helps sclerotia production). Add a pinch of gypsum in each jar, and if you're using coffee, also add a small pinch of hydrated lime to each jar."

RR

"Mushroom mycelia will easily colonize a very base substrate. I use hydrated lime in pasteurization baths at a rate of 1/2 cup for ten gallons of hot water. This gives the bath a ph of 9-11. The mycelium then rips through the straw like wildfire. Get some ph test strips and test the water with coffee added. Add lime to raise the ph. Be sure to use hydrated lime, as it's water soluable."

RR

All taken from HERE.

Edited by PussyFart (10/01/12 04:10 PM)

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

#16946670 - 10/01/12 05:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

a social revolt said:
try not to bump old threads with questions that can be answered using the "Search Posts" tab above.

This thread is to be open for as long as I am a member here. As long as it is regarding this tek any questions are more than welcome.

OfflineKS_funguy
Belligerent Drunk Midget
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz... (not the pr...
    #16964123 - 10/04/12 08:48 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icesyn said:
Quote:

a social revolt said:
try not to bump old threads with questions that can be answered using the "Search Posts" tab above.

This thread is to be open for as long as I am a member here. As long as it is regarding this tek any questions are more than welcome.

I just happened upon this thread this morning.  I have been using a similar process to your tek myself, with awesome results.  Just finished cleaning up the kitchen after spawning 6 pints to small totes (instead of the aluminum trays I use the small Sterilite shoe box totes, with duct tape to reduce side pinning).  Only thing I have been doing different from your tek, actually, is I add gypsum to the coir/verm mix, and instead of straight BRF cakes I have been doing 50/50 BRF and Brown Rye Flour. 

Anyhow, I digress... I was pleased to see a thorough tek involving this process.  Some of us without a pressure cooker are left to different means when it comes to bulk spawning.  Everybody screams about WBS... but every time I try WBS it ferments before it can colonize... Never had such problems with PF Cakes. 

Anyhow, 5 stars to you for a great Tek writeup! 

:highfive:

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Re: How To Spawn Cakes To A Bulk Substrate! [Re: KS_funguy]
    #16964152 - 10/04/12 08:55 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

A little tip KS_funguy, there's no need to add
Vermiculite into the Bulk Substrate. It does work,
but IMO just uneccisary. BRF Cakes already contain
50% vermiculite. Although I do Grains also, I still
enjoy spawning and fruiting cakes. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineKS_funguy
Belligerent Drunk Midget
Male User Gallery

Re: How To Spawn Cakes To A Bulk Substrate! [Re: DynGBreeD]
    #16964166 - 10/04/12 08:57 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DynGBreeD said:

Problem with that is, coir is nutritive while verm is not.  I have tried a couple times with just straight coir, and each time I end up with contams.  That's why I use a coir/verm mix.  And have no problems because of it.

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

#16964195 - 10/04/12 09:04 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

KS_funguy said:
Quote:

DynGBreeD said:

Problem with that is, coir is nutritive while verm is not.  I have tried a couple times with just straight coir, and each time I end up with contams.  That's why I use a coir/verm mix.  And have no problems because of it.

This is correct. That's why I recommend 50/50 coir/verm here. It's a newbie safe method and reduces the risk of contams. Contams wont grow on just verm. Think of verm as a safe filler.

OfflineKS_funguy
Belligerent Drunk Midget
Male User Gallery

#16964210 - 10/04/12 09:08 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icesyn said:
This is correct. That's why I recommend 50/50 coir/verm here. It's a newbie safe method and reduces the risk of contams. Contams wont grow on just verm. Think of verm as a safe filler.

I am really kinda surprised, but there are still a lot of people that don't understand the difference between the two.  Coir is an organic substance, and verm is a type of mineral.  Plant versus Rock.  Easy science.  Anyhow, for anybody interested, here is a full breakdown of the nutrients contained in coir.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.agrococo.com%2FBethke%2FNUTRIENT_ANALYSIS_OF_AGROCOIR.pdf&ei=IaVtUN3UIqOC2AXG2YDAAw&usg=AFQjCNGMg-K8vkJD-s2Bu-VDpTxNbbh9jg

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

#16964224 - 10/04/12 09:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

KS_funguy said:
I am really kinda surprised, but there are still a lot of people that don't understand the difference between the two.  Coir is an organic substance, and verm is a type of mineral.  Plant versus Rock.  Easy science.  Anyhow, for anybody interested, here is a full breakdown of the nutrients contained in coir.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.agrococo.com%2FBethke%2FNUTRIENT_ANALYSIS_OF_AGROCOIR.pdf&ei=IaVtUN3UIqOC2AXG2YDAAw&usg=AFQjCNGMg-K8vkJD-s2Bu-VDpTxNbbh9jg

:asianofapproval:

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

#16964376 - 10/04/12 09:52 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I've never had that problem... And really don't understand your
reasoning? Explain please.

Spawning to Coir alone, wouldn't mean you would add
more Coir to replace the Vermiculite. I usually spawn
to 1:2 Coir Ratio and often add Pasteurized Straw, and
never have had a contaminated tub upon fruiting.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Vermiculite has lots of 'food' for fungi, which can digest minerals as well as plant materials.
RR

Vermiculite does have nutrients for mycelium... Although I'm guessing
Mold/Bacteria don't feed from it because of being a mineral?

But how would the Vermiculite keep from contaminates?

--------------------

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

#16964393 - 10/04/12 09:58 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DynGBreeD said:
I've never had that problem... And really don't understand your
reasoning? Explain please.

Spawning to Coir alone, wouldn't mean you would add
more Coir to replace the Vermiculite. I usually spawn
to 1:2 Coir Ratio and often add Pasteurized Straw, and
never have had a contaminated tub upon fruiting.

That's because you're familiar with the procedures to have a successful grow. Allot of people will fail to bring coir to proper field capacity resulting with pools of water on the substrate leaving a risk of contams and waterlog effecting the yield. Mushrooms also benefit from verm. Verm helps the sub retain the moisture and reduces the chance of pooling. Do they need it? No. But it sure does help for a safe successful grow.

Is a sandwich without mayo and mustard still a sandwich? Yes. It's just not as good of a sandwich.

Edited by Icesyn (10/04/12 10:07 AM)

OfflineKS_funguy
Belligerent Drunk Midget
Male User Gallery

#16964427 - 10/04/12 10:09 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

All you really have to do to understand is crack open a fully colonized cake.  The myc doesn't consume the verm.  It's always going to be there.  It's just filler.  Minerals that can be consumed by the myc are the water soluble ones like gypsum.  Sure, I guess verm may have traces of water soluble mineral nutrition in it, as it will make water murky after a while so it is obvious SOMETHING in it is soluble.  But the majority of the verm remains untouched and undigested.  So whatever.  If using straight coir works for you, then great.  I am just saying that I have to use verm as a non-nutritive filler to reduce the speed at which contaminants replicate.  Any time I am colonizing myc into any sub, be it BRF, coir, etc, I look at it this way:  it is a race, with myc trying to colonize before contaminants such as trich have an opportunity to take hold and begin their own colonization. 

Anyhow, this has sorta veered off-topic.  Damion's 50/50 tek is pretty much accepted by everybody on these message boards as the premier method of bulk coir sub preparation, so I am sure there is probably plenty of information available through that thread about why verm is used in the sub.

And I see that as I wrote this, Icesyn has brought up an important point with the mention of moisture retention.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds