Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKefkaX
Vice President.No, wait.*Junior* VicePresident!

Loc: Sydney Australia
White mushroom indentification
    #1499577 - 04/28/03 02:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Went for a stroll about the property today, and found a number of these mushrooms growing about, which is interesting because I've never seen this type of mushroom around here before.

I found them just growing out of the grass (which was quite damp, being that we've had a lot of rain recently). You should be able to make out the main characteristics by these photos I took, but other things you might want to know:
The cap was 2.5 inches, and the stem was 3 inches long. The width of the stem is just under 1 centimetre, and it is not hollow. The spore print is white, as you would expect, and though it doesn't exactly bruise any colour, several hours after cutting the stem from the cap, I can see it has browned. But no more so than you would expect from regular oxidisation.
As far as scent is concerned, it smells like a regular garden variety mushroom, which I also found a number of growing today as well. Pity I've yet to find an active species anywhere... but I have heard that mushrooms with white gills give you a hell of a buzz, so I most assuredly ate several of these mushrooms immediately after taking these photos.
*cough*

Anyway, if you need any more information, just let me know.
If location is important, you can see it by looking to your left.
Thanks in advance :smile:

--------------------
Immerse your soul in love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAse
Stranger

Loc: sideways & upsidedown
Re: White mushroom indentification [Re: KefkaX]
    #1499593 - 04/28/03 02:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Amanita ocreata I think! Looks like you've found you some deadly poisonous mushrooms!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: White mushroom indentification [Re: Ase]
    #1499606 - 04/28/03 02:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yea amanita for sure if you want to get it to species 100% the experts round here will need a pic of the base of the stem. but i would bet either amanita ocreata or something in the phalloides(sp?) group. definately deadly poisonous. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineKefkaX

Re: White mushroom indentification [Re: blaze2]
    #1499623 - 04/28/03 02:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was fairly sure it was an Amanita, yeah.

But I thought it would be cool to know the exact name of all the mushrooms I find growing around the place. This way I can invite people over and impress them with my inferred intelligence.

--------------------

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1500195 - 04/28/03 10:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

blaze2 is right - we need to see the base of the stem.

Based on the appearance of the ring and the habitat I think you've got Leucoagaricus naucinus, a mushroom which is frequently misidentified as Amanita ocreata (and vice versa). Showing us the base of the stem will make it obvious.

How to tell the difference in the future?

Here are a couple good photos of Amanita ocreata. Note that the ring is fragile and skirtlike.

Here is a good photo of Leucoagaricus naucinus. Note that the ring is like the rings in Lepiota - a prominent band which can be slid up and down the stem.

Of course, the Amanita has a volva, but in occasional specimens the volva is absent or doesn't look like one.

Technically, Lecoagaricus naucinus is edible, but strongly not recommended. First, there have been a number of poisonins from it resulting in gastric upset. More importantly, you can see that it's easy to mistake for a deadly Amanita. The risk, of course, being that you might mistake a deadly Amanita for one of these and eat it.

Nice photos and mushroom. Also, good job on the description. The only thing missing was detail about the base of the stem.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineKefkaX

Re: White mushroom indentification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1506748 - 04/30/03 05:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

From the pictures you gave me, I'd say these mushrooms are most definitely Leucoagaricus naucinus. I was without the internet for a couple of days, hence the delay in reply, but I did take two more pictures so you could clearly see the base.
With the first three I picked, the base had been almost completely eaten away by maggots and other small insect larvae, but this fourth one turned out to be untouched, so here are the pics.

--------------------

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1507064 - 04/30/03 10:33 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's them. Note that the stem is just club shaped without a basal bulb or volva at all. The deadly white Amanitas will have a conspicuous, cuplike volva around the base and a basal bulb.

You can also see why it's recommended that you not eat them. The resemblance between them and the deadly white Amanitas is striking, and one mistake can get you dead.

Nice photos and excellent find.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification