Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblu shroom
Stranger
Wheat vs Rye
    #14995305 - 08/29/11 08:43 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

First off, I know this has been discussed a lot and after doing a bit of searching most people don't use Wheat berries.

Anyways, I have a sources for organic wheat and rye berries from local farmers.  The prices are very similar, with rye berries being about 15 cents per pound more.  Do they perform nearly identical or does one out perform the other?  If rye berries are a better quality grain for mycelium spawn I don't mind spending a bit more for it.

What are your thoughts and experiencing involving these two grains?  I'm a bit more interested in hearing from people who have used wheat berries.

Thanks guys

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wheat vs Rye [Re: blu shroom]
    #14995313 - 08/29/11 08:45 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Any grain will 'work' but rye berries are the gold standard because of low starch content.  They're easy to shake and don't turn to mush.  Get the rye.

If you have organic wheat farmers in your area, stock up on straw from them.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHyphilion
Occultist Ecologist
Male

Loc: Nexus of Texas
Re: Wheat vs Rye [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15022602 - 09/03/11 01:39 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

One decided to use wheat since its at a nearby grocer.

Hard Red Wheat
and
Hard White Wheat

are both available.  They work equally well.  Red is $.99/lb, White is $1.19/lb, so One tends to use the cheaper variety.

One just wanted to note some words of wisdom from RR that one recently experienced below.

One has been using wheat.  One noticed that sometimes when prepared, they end up being too wet, and bacteria grows.  However, since reducing One's boiling time (after a 24 hr soak) from 45 mins down to about 10 minutes, followed by a 30-60 minute drain, the grains end up being the perfect moisture content.  They are a little dryer, however the myc seems to precipitate out moisture to form pockets of condensation inside the jars.  So, it seems that there is no need for extra water. 

Although, One will say that recently One made jars that were on the verge of being too wet.  They colonized in 6 days.  The dryer ones will end up taking 11 days. 

However, the dryer jars are a much safer bet.  One ended up having to take off some un-colonized questionable (may have had beginnings of bacteria/fermentation) grains from the margins of the colonies when spawning them.  It was only like a tablespoon per jar.  But still, One decided to throw them in One's fridge for a day for 2 reasons: to slow/kill the bacteria (hopefully), and to allow time to prep the substrate.

Moral of story:  Dry wheat grains take One longer than wet ones, but they are safer.  Don't overboil yer grains.  15 mins max, an hour drain, and you're good to go.  Doesn't really matter what kind of grains.

"*If you soak overnight, with the soak beginning in hot tap water, you can boil the grains for an hour or two and the kernels won't bust. They also won't take on any more water. Once the kernel is saturated, it doesn't absorb any more, no matter how long you boil. After the soak, add hot tap water to the soak water if necessary to fill the kettle as full as you can before placing on the stove. Heat to boiling, and then after several minutes, pour the water off. Shake the colanders so the steam can evaporate off the kernels, drying them. That's the main purpose of the boil, besides killing the germinated bacteria before pouring it down the drain. It also gives the grains sort of a pre-sterilization prior to the PC cycle. Don't skip the gypsum. It's worth a trip to the nursery. SOAKING GRAINS"
  - RR (Source thread: All Of RR's Notes On Mushroom Cultivation Forum @ http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8468466#8468466 )

Edited by Hyphilion (09/03/11 01:49 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation