Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Coast range Gymnopilus aeruginosa?
    #1499404 - 04/28/03 01:29 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Here are the best photos I could get with my lil digicam of a Gymnopilus a.? they are growing from a hemlock log that is 4yrs down.Best description;
Fibrillose stalk with firmly attached gills.Gills orange.cap orange rust with darker flecks/scales(?) marked bluing on bruised and aged areas as well as base of stalk.Spore print developing distinct orange color(it's only been on a few hrs)
So the first photo is of pins emerging from under the bark layer

This is of two more mature mushrooms the one on the right I have watched grow for several days(the log is in my driveway) but I was out looking for oysters today so I took a closer look.....suprise! the one on the left was fresh so I am printing it I hope you can make out the bluing on both.

I don't know of any other orange spored orange fleshed gilled mushrooms which grow on wood and have a definate bluing response in the PNW. If there are other possibilities would someone with more expertise please give me some possibilities?This will be my first Gym find if I am correct and I AM STOKED! :grin:WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Edited by whiterasta (04/28/03 01:33 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Coast range Gymnopilus aeruginosa? [Re: whiterasta]
    #1500274 - 04/28/03 11:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

They look right. I can't tell how big they are from the photo.

Here's a key which should help you sort it out a bit.

Here's a link to SporeWorks page on the species, useful here because of the color photo of the spore print.

Hope that's helpful.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Coast range Gymnopilus aeruginosa? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1500296 - 04/28/03 11:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

These were small specimens around 2.5" for the large and 1.25 long by 3/4" wide for the small one.I keyed them and all matched up.As I said this is the first Gymnopilus I have found and it was right in my driveway. I am going to start printing fruits as they appear.I may check for the bitter taste(chew,spit,rinse) after I scope the spores and do some other "set yer mind at ease" testing.It is ironic this is  a species I wanted in the mycoculture of my property and was prepareing to order a print when nature provides one gratis.
Thanx for the links and help T-man! :wink: WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification