Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

New jars from colonized mycelium
    #1498582 - 04/27/03 08:29 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hey everyone. Someone I know has successfully cultivated mushrooms before on several occasions. They grow them outdoors after starting them in PF style jars indoors, which are cased in peatmoss/oyster shell/verm.... regardless, here is my question/comment:

They only had a small amount of spore print left when they were starting their new batch. Wanting to get a hi yield, and not being an exact "expert", they decided to do 24 regular (NOT wide mouth) 1/2 pint PF-style jars. They used all of the spore print in making the syringes, however 19 of the jars were lost to contamination (he thinks the print was not sterile [he made it himself], as the contams originated in the spots where the spores were injected. He's never had a single contaminated jar in his last 3 grows).

So he only had 5 good jars. He didn't have any more spores prints, and didn't want to start from spores again anyway, as to save time. So he sterilized 19 new jars with new substrate. These new jars were made just like the originals, except instead of putting an extra 1/2 inch layer of dry verm on top, he left a 1/2 inch open on top. Then he took 4 of the fully cultivated jars which had no contams and removed the cakes. Each cake was cut into 5 pieces, cut into disk-like shapes (they were cut horizontally if the cake is standing strait up as if it was still in the jar). One "disk" of colonized substrate was then placed in the top 1/2 layer of the sterile jars.

My question is this: Would it had been better if they filled the top 1/2 inch of the new jars will crushed/crumbled colonized cake, or would it have been better if they shoved pieced of cake into the sides/center of jar? Has anyone tried this?

Should he push the colonized disk into the substrate or just leave it on top? He already did this, and doesn't want to open the jars again for fear of letting in contams..... but if the mycelium wont colonize, then he will have to...

It made sense in their head when thinking up the idea..... either way, I will let everyone know how this goes...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: New jars from colonized mycelium [Re: Demon53]
    #1498595 - 04/27/03 08:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If ya know the WBS tek? You could crumble the cakes (in an alc swabbed big zip/lock baggy - allow alc to evap), then do a G2G type transfer of the crumbled cake, to fresh WBS jars, shake & colonize. You would have to be a CLEAN freak about it - though.

6T  :wink:

~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (04/27/03 08:37 PM)

Re: New jars from colonized mycelium [Re: SixTango]
    #11535723 - 11/27/09 04:48 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I did shake my peaces with rye in the jar....and it been 1-2 weeks in the incubator...(27C), but the mycelium wont start growing over the rye?????!!!! :frown:

what does that mean?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation