Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblevirus1824
Mr Mushroom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
PF TEK vs Monotub discussion
    #14982252 - 08/26/11 02:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

More and more i keep thinking. Why are beginners being advised to start out with PF-tek?

Pf-tek requires more materials, it requires lots of perlite which gives alot of mess. Keep spraying for shits. For what? a few cakes that perform mediocre for the amount of effort and materials required. When i first began I also started with PF-tek, with alot of effort and mediocre results i enjoyed the couple of mushrooms it produced. But the procedure never felt logical to me and i felt allot of the grow space the cakes were in was lost space.

Then i discovered bulk growing. Monotub growing. At first i thought it was difficult, tricky.. for experienced growers only you know. Gotta be tough since most pictures i saw showed big harvests compared to a first time PF-tek grow.

Nothing seemed further than the truth. I dare to argue monotubs are not only easier, but also more contaminate safe, and you can't do anymore wrong than with PF-tek i think you can even do less wrong. And to me it is a more logical way of growing.

Spore into Rye jar. Or spore -> LC -> rye jar. Let colonize, get some coir/verm in most basic case. Then pasteurize and BAM in the tub. Seal it up wait 3 weeks. Thing practically grows itself.

The only reason i see people starting with PF at all is because of no pressure cooker. But i find this a weak argument. I mean whats the cost of a PC nowadays. 60 bucks for a decent size? Buy it and triple to quadruple you're harvest with a simpler superior technique.

Who is with me? Any arguments against? Is it not better for noobs to start with monotubs. Or even a small tub to begin with? i think it is.
Discuss!

--------------------
A weekend wasted is never a wasted weekend

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineW4E2E0D
Ganja Warrior
Male

Re: PF TEK vs Monotub [Re: virus1824]
    #14982260 - 08/26/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I skipped the PF Tek. Either way it is still a matter of following a guide or instructions. No difference whether its bulk or cakes. Just follow the guides.

Skipping PF Tek =

If you're gonna do it, might as well DO it.

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: virus1824]
    #14982262 - 08/26/11 02:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Im not going to go against your statement, cause i dont do anything besides cakes. I just dont find it necessary for me right now to need anymore than what i produce. But i know cakes produce most cup for cup compared to any other substrate.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

Offlinelittle cap
Stranger

#14982275 - 08/26/11 02:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

haven't done a monotub or any bulk yet.....3 pf teks to this day and don't know if not getting conditions perfect but seems like a lot of effort for a very mediocre harvest.....just brought a PC and will be starting first rye grain to hpoo grow very soon...will still be using SGFC tho....do you think monotub actually increases yields or simply makes the process less labourious?

Invisiblevirus1824
Mr Mushroom
Male User Gallery

Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #14982281 - 08/26/11 02:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I've heard that argument before. In the end cakes have more surface area. or so they say to support that. But i find that untrue. if you grow cakes in a monotub. And in the same sized monotub you do a coir/verm tub. Without a doubt the second will outperform the cakes.

Quote:

do you think monotub actually increases yields or simply makes the process less labourious?

My argument is that for the amount of materials and effort put in, the result is much larger than it would be with cakes.

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: little cap]
    #14982283 - 08/26/11 02:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

little cap said:
haven't done a monotub or any bulk yet.....3 pf teks to this day and don't know if not getting conditions perfect but seems like a lot of effort for a very mediocre harvest.....just brought a PC and will be starting first rye grain to hpoo grow very soon...will still be using SGFC tho....do you think monotub actually increases yields or simply makes the process less labourious?

If you follow RR's videos to a t then you wont have mediocre harvests unless you just really ended up with some shitty genetics 3 times.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

#14982303 - 08/26/11 02:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

virus1824 said:
Yea I've heard that argument before. In the end cakes have more surface area. or so they say to support that. But i find that untrue. if you grow cakes in a monotub. And in the same sized monotub you do a coir/verm tub. Without a doubt the second will outperform the cakes.

:shrug:
Im just going off of what RR has stated. Dont get me wrong, i do want to do a monotub one day. But i dont feel it is necessary when you dont want/have the money to invest in a pc, new jars, grains, etc and you just need a lil bit here and there.

--------------------
My Trade List

Invisiblevirus1824
Mr Mushroom
Male User Gallery

#14982341 - 08/26/11 02:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_monk said:
Quote:

virus1824 said:

:shrug:
Im just going off of what RR has stated. Dont get me wrong, i do want to do a monotub one day. But i dont feel it is necessary when you dont want/have the money to invest in a pc, new jars, grains, etc and you just need a lil bit here and there.

Ok so a argument against is, not having or wanting to spend money on a pc. I leave jars out cause yea there practically free of course.
I don't agree though because with a one time inexpensive buy, you save allot of effort. not to mention trashbags full of useless perlite. Whereas spend bulk substrate is çompostable':crazy2: With one grow you can easily last a year and probably longer. Whereas for the same amount you need of fruiting space you need 2,3 grows of cakes.

--------------------

Offlinelittle cap
Stranger

#14982345 - 08/26/11 02:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

do you think monotub actually increases yields or simply makes the process less labourious?

My argument is that for the amount of materials and effort put in, the result is much larger than it would be with cakes.

sorry misunderstanding.......i mean if you had a tray of bulk sub basically the same size of the bottom of a SGFC in the SGFC  and also did a monotub of of similar sized tub do you think the different terreriums would make much difference in the end?

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
    #14982367 - 08/26/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Without even including the cost of a PC; doing bulk is much more expensive in time and resources...  I don't see how anyone that buys their own supplies would not easily know this...  I will say that square foot per square foot of space taken up for growing, bulk wins out cakes, easy...

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: little cap]
    #14982370 - 08/26/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well for me personally, im not going to go buy materials that i dont need to cultivate mushrooms when i can do it with the stuff i already have. And i wouldnt really want to do just one giant grow and im good for the year, i'd rather do several cakes every other month because i enjoy the grow itself. I dont need to harvest a half lb all at one time.

--------------------
My Trade List

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #14982405 - 08/26/11 03:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Even the most advanced mycologist still uses cakes: isolate testing, etc...  It is a forever-present technique for anyone that is serious at all about Mycology... The energy conversion is extremely efficient and is the quickest from inoculation to fruitation...

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

Invisiblevirus1824
Mr Mushroom
Male User Gallery

Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #14982434 - 08/26/11 03:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HorizonSpawn said:
Without even including the cost of a PC; doing bulk is much more expensive in time and resources...  I don't see how anyone that buys their own supplies would not easily know this...  I will say that square foot per square foot of space taken up for growing, bulk wins out cakes, easy...

Quote:

doing bulk is much more expensive in time and resources...  I don't see how anyone that buys their own supplies would not easily know this...

Because that is simply incorrect. For a decent size tub the a brick of coir is a dollar. The coffee is usually free, the gypsum is for one tub about 50 cents. Rye costs a buck a kilo. So 2.50 out and about. Considering 'value' of the resulting grow I'd say its a very cheap investment on return. figuratively i must add since i eat some of it and give the rest away. so im not making a profit.

Time. one step making lc 10 minutes. after 2 weeks: preparing spawn for 1 evening and inject the following morning. When colonized, 1 hour of preparing the tub. wait 3 weeks ??? profit. I can fit that in a schedule.

--------------------

Edited by virus1824 (08/26/11 03:23 PM)

OfflineChez man
Mycofan
Male

Loc: Midwest
    #14982578 - 08/26/11 03:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Many noobs go straight to bulk, but most are just too scatterbrained to do so.

I still use cakes often to this day for reasons already mentioned.

--------------------
http://www.hedweb.com/hedab.htm

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: Chez man]
    #14982770 - 08/26/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm trying to find a cheap PC myself :smbfacepalm: Everyone keeps nabbing the damn things though. I grow for only my wife and myself, and we enjoy it. It's just one more thing we can do together. We aren't broke or anything, just conservatives with money. But I agree virus1824, seems to me Mono Tubs/Bulk IS the way to go.

--------------------

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: DynGBreeD]
    #14983440 - 08/26/11 06:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted.

I think I was trying to quote and fucked it up.

Edited by Asura (04/17/14 05:54 PM)

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: Asura]
    #14983504 - 08/26/11 06:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

if you can boil water you can do the teks in my sig :shrug: easy as fuck

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

OfflineClamence
Stranger
Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: tripdawg420]
    #14984042 - 08/26/11 08:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've never grown, but done some homework.  I love this thread http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4304709/fpart/6/vc/1
I'm thinking you can do any cakes potentially even without pc to pre pasteurized casing.  Looks REALLY easy.

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Loc: space Flag
    #19860031 - 04/17/14 01:49 PM (10 years, 1 day ago)

as far as i can tell it's really just a difference of space/materials available and which part of the grow you want to invest your time into the most.

pf tek definitely requires more materials from prep to harvest

using grains for monotubs requires a similar amount of time prepping the jars, but they generally colonize faster when compared to pf tek jars using the same cc/jar size, and the attention you need to pay to them after inoculation is significantly less.

monotubs also generally require more space than pf tek jars, which are usually more easily concealable from roommates/girlfriends/parents/etc.

however, i think THE MAIN REASON beginners are almost unanimously referred to the pf tek is because each jar has it's own independent shot at success. we all know how much one mistake cane make or break a grow, but also that it won't necessarily. having 6 jars doing their own thing and successfully harvesting 3 of them, despite rookie mistakes, is much more rewarding than colonizing 5 of 6 jars perfectly only to spawn all 6 into the same tub and lose the whole harvest.

:2cents:

--------------------
"And on the last day, God purchased RogerRabbit's DVD set, and learned to grow mushrooms. And it was good."
-Shroomesis 4:20

:supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom: :kingtard::supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom:
                                  :poison: MushroomWizard420 :poison:
                                              :shroomin:

The spirit of the forest watches over his children as they grow...

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Loc: space Flag
Re: PF TEK vs Monotub discussion [Re: MushroomWizard420]
    #19860041 - 04/17/14 01:50 PM (10 years, 1 day ago)

oh yea, and the mystical PC being unnecessary is usually a decision-maker too

--------------------
"And on the last day, God purchased RogerRabbit's DVD set, and learned to grow mushrooms. And it was good."
-Shroomesis 4:20

:supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom: :kingtard::supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom:
                                  :poison: MushroomWizard420 :poison:
                                              :shroomin:

The spirit of the forest watches over his children as they grow...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale