Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Planet Sized Diamond Discovered
    #14980810 - 08/26/11 07:34 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

By Ben Hirschler

LONDON | Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:26pm EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond.

"The evolutionary history and amazing density of the planet all suggest it is comprised of carbon -- i.e. a massive diamond orbiting a neutron star every two hours in an orbit so tight it would fit inside our own Sun," said Matthew Bailes of Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne.

Lying 4,000 light years away, or around an eighth of the way toward the center of the Milky Way from the Earth, the planet is probably the remnant of a once-massive star that has lost its outer layers to the so-called pulsar star it orbits.

Pulsars are tiny, dead neutron stars that are only around 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) in diameter and spin hundreds of times a second, emitting beams of radiation.

In the case of pulsar J1719-1438, the beams regularly sweep the Earth and have been monitored by telescopes in Australia, Britain and Hawaii, allowing astronomers to detect modulations due to the gravitational pull of its unseen companion planet.

The measurements suggest the planet, which orbits its star every two hours and 10 minutes, has slightly more mass than Jupiter but is 20 times as dense, Bailes and colleagues reported in the journal Science on Thursday.

In addition to carbon, the new planet is also likely to contain oxygen, which may be more prevalent at the surface and is probably increasingly rare toward the carbon-rich center.

Its high density suggests the lighter elements of hydrogen and helium, which are the main constituents of gas giants like Jupiter, are not present.

Just what this weird diamond world is actually like close up, however, is a mystery.

"In terms of what it would look like, I don't know I could even speculate," said Ben Stappers of the University of Manchester. "I don't imagine that a picture of a very shiny object is what we're looking at here."

Reuters

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: Diploid]
    #14980926 - 08/26/11 08:34 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

isn't there a diamond star as well?

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: iateshaggy]
    #14987421 - 08/27/11 03:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How can i get to it? If i can get to it i can make a lot of money. Someone please give me some info on this

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: dshow]
    #14989289 - 08/27/11 10:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

have fun mining solid diamond.  what kind of bits do u use for that?  even with high explosives, u won't scratch it.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

InvisibleSamuel L Jackson
Bad Motherfucker
Male

#14989509 - 08/28/11 12:05 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

iateshaggy said:
have fun mining solid diamond.  what kind of bits do u use for that?  even with high explosives, u won't scratch it.

there is a difference between hardness and toughness.

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: Samuel L Jackson]
    #14989661 - 08/28/11 02:05 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

its too big to fit on my ear...

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#14990537 - 08/28/11 10:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

what kind of bits do u use for that?  even with high explosives, u won't scratch it.

A HMX cutting charge won't scratch it? This I gotta see :awesome:

Never mind the fact its soaring around a neutron star at less than half a solar radius, diamond's too hard we might as well give up :yesnod:

The thing of course has become a diamond precisely because it's being mauled by a neutron star.

I once calculated that if you lob a can of coke into a neutron star its impact will generate as much energy as a small nuke going off, a compacted planet with more mass than Jupiter, that's gonna be awesome.

An accretion disk composed of a thermonuclear fuel, you just KNOW that's going to turn someones night into day.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: Asante]
    #14993601 - 08/28/11 08:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Someone please tell me how i can get there? I holy need like a small chunk. Thanks.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#14995356 - 08/29/11 07:56 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That's not very likely. You are talking about a dynamic gravity situation that turned the planets CO2/CH4 into diamond. If you landed on the surface, you would be squashed like an empty coke can underfoot, so hard that your molecules will come undone and the carbon backbones of your protein will add to the diamond.

Due to the dynamic gravity situation, the planet will likely be extremely hot, probably glowing with heat.

If you have magic gravity, temperature, magnetism & radiation protection equipment, make sure to bring your extreme super rocket because you are going to need an insane amount of thrust to leave the gravity of the neutron star.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: Asante]
    #14995376 - 08/29/11 08:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
That's not very likely. You are talking about a dynamic gravity situation that turned the planets CO2/CH4 into diamond. If you landed on the surface, you would be squashed like an empty coke can underfoot, so hard that your molecules will come undone and the carbon backbones of your protein will add to the diamond.

Due to the dynamic gravity situation, the planet will likely be extremely hot, probably glowing with heat.

If you have magic gravity, temperature, magnetism & radiation protection equipment, make sure to bring your extreme super rocket because you are going to need an insane amount of thrust to leave the gravity of the neutron star.

:omgz: Nevermind. Wow i would not want to do that. No wonder people have not done that already  :shake:

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #14997813 - 08/29/11 04:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It's far easier to make your own diamonds here on earth.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
    #14997839 - 08/29/11 05:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dshow said:
Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:

:omgz: Nevermind. Wow i would not want to do that. No wonder people have not done that already  :shake:

Yeah that... And the fact that it's 4,000 lightyears away.

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

Offlineinfectedstyle
Stranger
Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: Toe_Jam]
    #14998149 - 08/29/11 06:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

can we smoke it?

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

#14998356 - 08/29/11 06:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

E-in Liondragon said:
Quote:

dshow said:
Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:

Yeah that... And the fact that it's 4,000 lightyears away.

so? we can travel that easily, ive seen it on t.v.

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: infectedstyle] * 1
    #14998392 - 08/29/11 06:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

infectedstyle said:
can we smoke it?

Not that one, but I did find a planet made completely of crystal meth in my travels. It even has a DMT moon orbiting it.

--------------------

March 1984

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #15001648 - 08/30/11 12:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't believe it's made of diamond. That was just an assumption they made. And as far as i know, they have not been able to get any clear images of planets outside our solar system. They find them by noticing a wobble in a stars motion and assume a large planet is doing it. They found carbon in the spectra of the star and assume it will be on the planet. Then they assumed the high gravity would produce diamonds. There is no way to know for sure what elements make up a planet unless it's hot enough to give off spectral lines. Then it would be more of a companion star than a planet.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Re: Planet Sized Diamond Discovered [Re: Stonehenge]
    #15004296 - 08/30/11 10:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
I don't believe it's made of diamond. That was just an assumption they made. And as far as i know, they have not been able to get any clear images of planets outside our solar system. They find them by noticing a wobble in a stars motion and assume a large planet is doing it. They found carbon in the spectra of the star and assume it will be on the planet. Then they assumed the high gravity would produce diamonds. There is no way to know for sure what elements make up a planet unless it's hot enough to give off spectral lines. Then it would be more of a companion star than a planet.

Well, way to crash the party with your logic bullshit.

*point's at Stonehenge and whispers* That guy's a buzzkill man....

--------------------

March 1984

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #15006352 - 08/31/11 12:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry man. Hey, did you hear about the planet made of gold?

--------------------

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

#15006843 - 08/31/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:

No i didnt? really? its prob too far away huh??

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#15006975 - 08/31/11 02:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:

Now that's the one I want to go to.

Please tell me it has a moon made of chocolate space hash.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies