Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Our Ancient Past [Re: Murex]
    #1497171 - 04/27/03 02:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well, it's sort of true. The Egyptians didn't actually have a death penalty, but they used banishment as a punishment, which was pretty much the same thing, since few people survived out in the harsh Sahara Desert.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Edited by silversoul7 (04/27/03 02:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: Our Ancient Past [Re: silversoul7]
    #1497210 - 04/27/03 03:04 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Egypt is what the greeks named the place after they came upon it, originally it was Kemit, or more acurately, Kmt. For the most part these past empires are romantisized, and Socretes and Aristotle have nothing on Ken Wilber as far as philosophy goes. But our modern american empire is pretty sinister in comparison to some of these ancient ones. And there is alot of intiguing things about the anienct Kemitian's, like how the hell they cut incredibly smooth blocks out of limestone with copper chizels? it's not conceivibly possible by modern man, so how the hell did they do it? or how did they lift blocks weighing several thousand tons, that not even our most heavy duty moder cranes can lift, to make pyramids?

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Our Ancient Past [Re: silversoul7]
    #1497223 - 04/27/03 03:10 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ugh if the be-nice policy wasn't enforced...

Then why did Columbus have such a hard time? Maybe it was just shit schools taught us to glorify some greedy sailor out to make a fortune. We know there were a few people well before columbus who sailed around the world.

Last time I checked Columbus sailed because he wanted to go around the world to land on India's coast. This is evidence that he was sure that the world was round. Last time I checked Portugal was a tiny country beside spain, and if indeed the entire portugese population believed that the world was flat (which the existence of Columbus's sail proves isn't true) then I would point out that they are not an accurate cross section of the world, and their silly beliefs count for nothing. But, of course, they knew the spherecal nature of the planet. weak.

why don't you just catch aids today? Or go to a third world country and catch something there

Instead of catching aids I choose to benefit from our medical and educational system. I can wear condoms thanks to the modern-ness of our world. Equating aids today with the plague then is a poor comparison. As for third world countries I'll be sure to buy medical insurance and get vaccines (another thing the ancients didn't have) and if things go wrong, I'll be home in 12 hours thanks to air travel. Weak points dude.

are you talking about the crypts or the bloods? east coast or west coast?

I've never seen either of these, but let me sum up what I do know of them and the people you are comparing them with:

Gangs: Young men born into poverty without fathers who take out agression on random people. And they shoot their guns sideways. This is not a good way to aim, because when you are firing rapidly the kick of the gun will put your aim off to the side, so the second shots go off target unless you're superman. When you aim the gun the right way and target the belly then the kick puts the barrel aiming up at the head which is effective gunmanship. No, I don't own any and I've never shot one in my life.

Saxon-style raiders/hordes: Warriors whose lively hood is raiding coastal villages. Accomplished seamen and experienced swordsmen.

That was a seriously weak comparison man, I can't wait for the next round.

Sleep in the same room with farting, shitting cattle

from what I understand, people sometimes lent out their barns to homeless wanderers. I think maybe a soft bed of hay would be better than a cold sidewalk and yesterday's copy of the new york times found in a trash can.

I wasn't talking about wandering as a traveler. Your point is irrelevant, so I'll answer it quickly: Tents, cheap youth hostels. Infrastructure for tourists.

The situation I was describing with the cattle is that if your cow is your life, as in, an essential piece of food, then you're going to bring it inside and sleep in the same bed with it if it becomes lethaly cold outside. This is where lots of diseases come from. They adapt from cattle et al to the human.

Those were some REALLY weak points, not even on topic.

yeah, I'll just walk in a well-lit sidewalk, that way when a gang drives by in a car it'll be easier for them to aim at me.

Sorry, but no lights are worse than some lights. Your point is funny, but.. ..

I'm sure rabies is a walk in the park compared to biological and chemical warfare tactics that could happen at any moment right about now

I'll believe that when I see it. I know it's not going to happen to me, here. Let me tell you a short fictional story to flesh out my point:

Bill walks in the woods. A tiny fox comes at him foaming at the mouth. He has no rabies vaccine, cause it's the peak of the roman empire. He grabs a how-to book on the subject of really kickass architectural techniques. He attacks the fox with it and kills it, but the fox got a tiny bite on him. He dies of rabies. This doesn't happen today thanks to rabies vaccines.

Story about chemical attacks (this is a true story)

The Canadians are sitting in their trench in WWI. Today is going to be the first use of chlorine gas. The germans release it. One of the Canadian soldiers uses his modern day education and comes up with a way to negate the gas. Everybody pisses on handkerchiefs and hold the piss soaked cloths to their faces. The urine negates the chlorine. They survive.

Another story about these deadly gas attacks:

The gas is released. Everybody puts on their gas masks.

yeah, now I just have to go to the ER, wait 5 hours and pay a hellacious fee and possibly be put on addictive pain medication that the dr prescribes because he gets money from the drug company everytime someone he prescribed it to refills the subscription

I said little cut. I'd either use my emergency room for free, but more likely, as it's a little cut, I'd just rub some alchohol into it, clean it out, and apply some sterile bandages that I bought for two bucks.

oh yes, we all know how dangerous a giant oak tree can be. It could just come out of nowhere and kill all our babies! Good thing we chopped em all down!

I was more pointing out how the edenic culture you believe greece was was actually a war machine who chopped down all their trees to make boats with. This was highlighting the destruction your wonderful cultures wreaked on the environment.

What's with putting other cultures on pedestals? ... as far as I can tell nobody's had it better

That's not a contradiction. I said OTHER cultures on pedestals, and then I said that OUR culture (not an OTHER culture) has it the best out of every culture in the history of culture. So good point I shouldn't raise us up on a pedestal, but it wasn't a contradiction.

Bring on the next round or concede.

Anonymous

Re: Our Ancient Past [Re: Dogomush]
    #1497562 - 04/27/03 11:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ugh if the be-nice policy wasn't enforced...

But it is. :smile:

Thank you for remembering.

Cheers, :smile:

Offlinewyldtouch69
You heard ofhell well i wassent from it

Re: Our Ancient Past [Re: Dogomush]
    #1497746 - 04/27/03 01:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Bring on the next round or concede

I concede.

You've missed the point completely and I refuse to go on nitpicking each other's points. I was just trying to prove that each culture has it's evil side, and we're not the best culture ever. Sure, we have great scientists and computers and blah blah blah... but everything we've based our technology on, the MATH of everything was originally conceived by great mathematicians in ancient societies... who didn't even have any computers. I think figuring out Pi by hand without knowing any other theories and having to figure everything out without a calculater is quite an accomplishment... or even coming up with the pathagoris (sp) theorom, or any of the hundreds of givens and theoroms that exist today, I think that is quite an acheivement. And like someone had stated earlier in the post, building huge pyramids with just man power and simple tools like pulleys, and huge buildings and statues and the colloseum, all without equipment, that's acheivements.

And you think I hate our culture. No I don't. In fact, without all the technologies today, I wouldn't even be able to have this conversation with you. I'm just saying we need to look at our past and see the greatness, try to change our ways a little. That's all.

Those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it... or something like that :smirk:

--------------------

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Our Ancient Past [Re: Murex]
    #1498070 - 04/27/03 04:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"You've missed the point completely and I refuse to go on nitpicking each other's points."

im pretty sure that your point was how the ancients were more "enlightened" then our modern world.

the ancients werent great. how were women treated in ancient greece?

well, just ta-let-ya-know, before they were married, they were under the control of their father, and after they were married, they were under the control of their spouse.

-they would usually get married in their teens, to a man in his thirties. (mmmmm)
-her husband would be chosen by her father (so...advanced...)

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies