Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLobsterSauce
 User Gallery

Mother spared jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll'
    #14963028 - 08/22/11 09:52 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Judge spares mother jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll' who posted horrific comments about disabled daughter

A mother who joined a revenge attack on a man responsible for a vile campaign of internet abuse against her disabled daughter has been spared prison.

Sylvia Hooper, 52, was described as a ‘decent and law-abiding’ woman who dedicated her life to her seriously ill daughter Kim Arnold.

But she snapped after looking on helplessly as a cowardly bully sent her a series of appalling comments via Facebook.

She faced a jail sentence after identifying Christopher Berwick and confronting him outside his home in Chatham, Kent.

But a judge – who labelled the messages ‘disgraceful and shameful’ – took pity on Mrs Hooper after hearing they were part of a long-term campaign.

The case is the latest evidence of the growing impact of online bullying and abuse through social networking sites.

Known as ‘trolling’, it sees abusers, who often hide behind a veil of anonymity or false identities, deluging their victims with cruel taunts.

More...

One in three teachers bullied online by pupils AND parents

Campaigners have repeatedly called for websites to take swifter action against so-called ‘trolls’ responsible for pain and suffering.

Miss Arnold was sent a series of messages via a false Facebook account that left her deeply depressed, Maidstone Crown Court was told.

One labelled her a cripple and said the wheelchair user should be left to ‘roll down a hill.’

A judge at Maidstone Crown Court labelled the messages 'shameful' and took pity on Mrs Hooper after hearing they were part of a long-term campaign

Another message read: ‘Your mother should have had an abortion. She only had you because she felt sorry for you.’

Mrs Hooper realised the culprit was Berwick, who lived nearby, and joined her son Robert and his friend Soloman Taylor outside his home.

Mr Hooper, 19, punched the bully after his mother said ‘hit him’ and Berwick was then taken back to the family home by car.

He was forced to crawl inside and make a ‘grovelling apology’ to his victim while on all fours. At one point he was hit on the chin with a rolled up newspaper.

Prosecutor Neil Sandys said Berwick originally tried to blame his then girlfriend but eventually admitted being responsible.

He said the Facebook exchange was ‘low, mean, base and shameful’ and added that Berwick admitted doing it before.

In one of the vile posts Berwick said Miss Arnold should be left to 'roll down a hill' in her wheelchair

Mrs Hooper’s solicitor Catharine Donnelly said the comments were ‘beyond the pale’ and told the court ‘none of us would be here today’ without his actions.

Speaking about Mrs Hooper, she said: ‘She is a decent woman who has devoted herself to her daughter. She has led a decent and law-abiding life.

‘It is clear she is a woman who will never trouble these courts again. She was an encourager, rather than a hitter.’

Danny Moore, for Mr Hooper, said Berwick got a kick out of ‘playing mind games with a severely disabled young lady’.

He highlighted how police told the victims there was nothing they could do and the bully was not prosecuted for sending malicious messages.

All three admitted assault but denied false imprisonment and the judge ruled that not guilty verdicts should be entered.

Judge Richard Polden said it ‘troubled him’ that Mrs Hooper had said, ‘hit him’, but accepted that Mr Hooper was acting out of a ‘protective instinct’ to

his sister.

He said: ‘I sentence you on the basis that Mr Berwick sent messages that were wholly disgraceful and shameful but then tried to put the blame on his

girlfriend.’

Mrs Hooper was given a conditional discharge. The two men were given community orders which included voluntary work.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028961/Judge-spares-mother-jail-plotted-attack-internet-troll-posted-horrific-comments-disabled-daughter.html#ixzz1VoS9e2qt

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Mother spared jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll' [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #14963047 - 08/22/11 09:56 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:seriousbusiness:

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: Mother spared jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll' [Re: LobsterSauce] * 1
    #14963061 - 08/22/11 10:01 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

First, everyone in this report are the reason trolls exist.

Second,
Quote:

Mr Hooper, 19, punched the bully after his mother said ‘hit him’ and Berwick was then taken back to the family home by car.

He was forced to crawl inside and make a ‘grovelling apology’ to his victim while on all fours. At one point he was hit on the chin with a rolled up newspaper.

This is pretty twisted. That lady definitely has issues.

Third, I hope they are prepared for the extra attention this spaz attack will likely bring them.

And finally, don't feed the trolls people.

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Mother spared jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll' [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #14963213 - 08/23/11 12:02 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

She couldn't wait for my USB stab people in the hands keyboard.

People would bea  heck of a lot more careful if they got stabbed. All airbags should be replaced with iron spikes aimed at the chest. This will make EVERYONE safer drivers.

--------------------
Wiccan_Seeker said:
slide down a pole than with your legs spread and using your pussy as a brake. Ask the fire department :imslow:

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Mother spared jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll' [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #14963265 - 08/23/11 12:15 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

someone needs to tell her, never feed the troll.

:seriousbusiness:

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Mother spared jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll' [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #14963322 - 08/23/11 12:28 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

First and foremost, written internet media coverage fucking sucks.  I can't believe that person has a job writing news, that's kind of hard to read.

About the article; I'd have to say that that person is going to think twice about bullying in the future after such a traumatic experience.  As for the mother, I see why she would wan't to defend her daughter and very few methods of 'getting back' are effective, but the one she chose wasn't the best.

I'm sure she has entered a new realm of trolling now.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
Re: Mother spared jail after she plotted attack on internet 'troll' [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #14963348 - 08/23/11 12:36 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Ha, that's awesome.

I'm glad that punk kid got punched in the face :shrug:

And made to apologize on all fours?

:curbyourenthusiasm:

Classic.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Community >> The Pub