Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleThe Whale

Loc: Flag
Fell in love with this female vocalist
    #14955766 - 08/21/11 08:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm picky with it comes to female singers. Massive Attack, Portishead, Bjork, Sia, Elsiane, and a few others I can appreciate. Otherwise, they lack the depth of emotion I find with male singers. At any rate, this lady possesses something unique. The music is top notch too: wait for the interesting change at 2:23.

On a different note, City & Colour dropped his latest in case anyone hasn't heard yet. This is the track that shines:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThe Whale

Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: The Whale]
    #14955776 - 08/21/11 08:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Another Kimbra from the same studio worth checking out:

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: The Whale] * 4
    #14955805 - 08/21/11 08:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

so in that first video was she having a seizure or just doing the pee pee dance?

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

Loc: Silly Cunt Valley
Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #14955837 - 08/21/11 09:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Op. You're aware that Massive Attack is not a proper band right? And that they have been changing vocalists for every album?

As for Portishead, girl's name Beth Gibbons.

:nerd:

--------------------
Man woke up in a world he did not understand and that is why he tries to interpret it - Carl Jung

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: solstice] * 1
    #14955854 - 08/21/11 09:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't like vocals at all, 99% of the time they take away from the music and feel forced and unnecessary.

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14955859 - 08/21/11 09:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
I don't like vocals at all, 99% of the time they take away from the music and feel forced and unnecessary.

:whathesaid:

I agree. I kind of let go of lyricalized music with time.

--------------------
Man woke up in a world he did not understand and that is why he tries to interpret it - Carl Jung

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14955867 - 08/21/11 09:14 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

Vocals are my favorite part of music. :shrug:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #14955945 - 08/21/11 09:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

solstice said:
Op. You're aware that Massive Attack is not a proper band right? And that they have been changing vocalists for every album?

As for Portishead, girl's name Beth Gibbons.

:nerd:

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
so in that first video was she having a seizure or just doing the pee pee dance?

That's called the frisky friction. Ladies move their hips and legs in a sufficient way so as to induce clitoral stimulation. It's usually employed in socially restrictive situations like church, where the individual has the added pleasure of approaching sexuality in a taboo environment. In this case, it's on stage.

Tune in next time with The Whale for Serious Sex 17.

--------------------

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

#14955970 - 08/21/11 09:58 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:lol: thanks, I love sugar but seriously, the way you put it in your op it kinda looked like you thought they were artists, not bands.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: solstice]
    #14955987 - 08/21/11 10:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Florence and the Machine sounds like a Sybian demonstration, but alas it's just a collaboration of various musicians with a female vocalist. Next time just phrase the additional info in an FYI frame to avoid coming across as a turd. It was educating the message board after all, not me.

:fonz:

--------------------

Onlinepslyke
fantasmagoric
Male User Gallery

#14955994 - 08/21/11 10:06 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"On a different note, City & Colour dropped his latest in case anyone hasn't heard yet. This is the track that shines:"

I love City and Colour, but I really wish that they had come out with something a little different-something that might show some growth or maturity as a band. When I listen to their new album I can't help but think I am listening to any track off their last album. Fragile bird rocks though, and is the stand out track!

--------------------
"What appears impenetrable to us does exist, manifesting itself in the deepest wisdom and the most radiant beauty" Einstein

"The conservatives of 70 years ago would be outraged at what has come to pass. It embodies everything they took up arms for to defeat"Asante

:kratom:

Edited by pslyke (08/21/11 10:07 AM)

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

#14956000 - 08/21/11 10:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, there are so many misconceptions about Massive Attack, you never know! :justdontknow:

Ever listened to Morcheeba? Niyaz? Cocteau Twins?

Give those a spin and tell me what'cha think! :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

#14956023 - 08/21/11 10:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

solstice said:
Well, there are so many misconceptions about Massive Attack, you never know! :justdontknow:

I've heard of Morcheeba, but not Niyaz or Cocteau Twins, I'll check it out, thanks.

Bebe and Chambao are interesting artists if you like Spanish music. 

I've been listening to the Tuneyards today. Some of the tracks are weird and noisy, but I'm really digging the loops and samples of her voice.

--------------------

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

#14956040 - 08/21/11 10:19 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:
Quote:

solstice said:

I've heard of Morcheeba, but not Niyaz or Cocteau Twins, I'll check it out, thanks.

Bebe and Chambao are interesting artists if you like Spanish music. 

I've been listening to the Tuneyards today. Some of the tracks are weird and noisy, but I'm really digging the loops and samples of her voice.

Nah, I'm mostly into either drone or deep house music these days but Niyaz is interesting if you like Middle Eastern sounds; Azam Ali has a great voice and since you can't understand what she sings about, it keeps the music from being too limited in my opinion. Same thing with Cocteau Twins ( they're a band from the 80's ) Liz Fraser sings mostly in a made up language that makes no sense to anyone else but her and because of that her voice also becomes an instrument and integrates the music magnificiently to create mystical atmospheric panoramas.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: pslyke]
    #14956314 - 08/21/11 11:27 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good descriptions. I like Elsiane for a similar reason, in that she utilizes her voice as an instrument unto itself. I only like Azam Ali when she collaborates with Western artists (her tracks with Serj Tankian and Buckethead are pretty good), otherwise I can't connect with the cultural roots she's pulling from.

Anathema's Natural Disaster has dark vocals from Lee Douglas if you're into prog or post-rock at all.

Quote:

pslyke said:
"On a different note, City & Colour dropped his latest in case anyone hasn't heard yet. This is the track that shines:"

I love City and Colour, but I really wish that they had come out with something a little different-something that might show some growth or maturity as a band. When I listen to their new album I can't help but think I am listening to any track off their last album. Fragile bird rocks though, and is the stand out track!

I agree, it's really just Dallas Green's old bag of tricks, just with added instrumentation - which isn't all that profound. I was looking forward to more experimentation, but he found a niche so it's expected that he'll continue with that.

--------------------

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

#14956336 - 08/21/11 11:32 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah Elsiane's ace. I've been listening to what she does since before the current project she has. She used to have another band called Labratory and some of the songs from that band have made their way to her new poject.

Ah man, I love what Azam does with traditional Persian music. I call that cheap traveling! :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

#14956374 - 08/21/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

solstice said:
Ah man, I love what Azam does with traditional Persian music. I call that cheap traveling! :thumbup:

I just heard the muezzin call to prayer about an hour ago. I'm in Israel, and lucky to be positioned around a lot of Arabic music. :wink:

The 'cheap travel' feeling I can relate to. I get that vibe especially with West African music. I feel like I'm there dancing in the village with the people. World fusion like Baka Beyond is primo stuff in my opinion. I've tripped several times to this "Mondo Beat" masters of percussion album: http://www.amazon.com/Mondo-Beat-Various-Artists/dp/B00000604J

Worth previewing.

--------------------

OfflineHajnal
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New Eden
    #14956631 - 08/21/11 12:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I just discovered 4 artists in this thread that are fucking amazing~ Thanks for the links guys <3

--------------------
Hajnal ['hɒjnɒl] - An elegant mixture of blood and circuitry; sorrow and love fill your systems, like the stars and black holes encompass the ∞.

Offlinemongo lloyd
Lone Free Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: Hajnal]
    #14956693 - 08/21/11 01:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't often like female vocalists. Dunno why.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: Fell in love with this female vocalist [Re: Hajnal]
    #14956702 - 08/21/11 01:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hajnal said:
I just discovered 4 artists in this thread that are fucking amazing~ Thanks for the links guys <3

:highfive:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds