Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03
    #1495476 - 04/26/03 09:07 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't posted much lately, but looks like I'll have a little more time for my hobbies over the summer.
I'll be starting a grow log to see if I can simulate the results I got the last few months.  I've been working with straw for a long time, and have had pretty good results with the stuff I've bought in town (craft shops).  Last fall, I got a beautiful light golden brown bail from a friend across town.  I started my first boxes with this straw in late 2002, and I just this past week tossed out 5 of the 6 (original) bulk boxes.  The boxes were put to fruit between New Year's Day and the 7th of January.  One box succumbed to funk (probably because bf kept setting his ashtray on top of the box!!) about a month ago, and the others were tossed ONLY because I have time to experiment some this week, and want to start over.  Yes, their production had slowed, but they produced massive, weighty fruits as time went on.
When I first came to the shroomery, I remember Anno posting a pic of a cake or casing that he said had been fruiting for months, and it looked healthy.  I haven't even worked with agar yet, so you can imagine the level of my skill - not so great. 
I'm going to save all the details for the grow log I do while I try to simulate these results, but I do have a question.
These boxes actively fruited for 100+ days.  What's the longest a cake, casing or bulk tray kept producing for you?  I don't know if my results were due to great quality straw, the small layer of scotts/verm I laid on top of it, or the casing which happened to have a dif mfr of one ingredient. 
Is it common for a colonized substrate to fruit for 100+ days? :confused:
Thanks for any insight. :grin:

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Edited by babyshroom (05/12/03 10:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Great Straw Results - I Think?? [Re: babyshroom]
    #1495510 - 04/26/03 09:38 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

What's the longest a cake, casing or bulk tray kept producing for you?

My friend has had straw/dung casings that produced for months. As time went by they slowed down quite a bit but they still pushed up the occasional nice fruits.

He does not know how long they might have lasted because he always gets bored with them and tosses them in the back yard before they stop fruiting entirely.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Great Straw Results - I Think?? [Re: dog]
    #1541391 - 05/12/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry to bring this back to the top, but my Baby is trying to recreate her success (see original post) and has a grow log going in the other forum.

She's hoping other straw users will take a second to post their experience - is it common for straw cakes to fruit for extended periods of time?

--------------------

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: Great Straw Results - I Think?? [Re: babyshroom]
    #1541625 - 05/12/03 12:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Im not sure length but ive heard of 10th flushes

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: babyshroom]
    #1541991 - 05/12/03 02:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yo, Babyshroom......

You can sort of super charge wheat straw.

Add straw to a big rubbermaid (outside). Throw in a few shovel fulls of straight horse/cow manure, add a cup of compost starter (available at any garden mart type store), use garden hose to fill tub with water, use heavy object to hold straw down & let it soak for a week or two.

Do this OUTSIDE, as this smells somewhat like a septic tank, when it begins to bio/degrade the straw. Outside & open makes for almost no smell, unless you stick your nose in it & take deep whifs (not recomended).

After a week or 2, remove straw, lay on a screen to drain, until the moisture content is right for spawning. Pasturize the straw in an oven bag around 170 / 180 F for 2 hours (monitor with meat themometer), allow to cool to room temp --then, go for it with ground cake, wbs or rye spawn..

Presto.............. :shocked:

Chango............. :smile:

You can run an outside straw prep tub like this all year around, rain, sleet, sunshine , winter or whatever. :grin:

6T........................... :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (05/12/03 02:30 PM)

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: SixTango]
    #1543102 - 05/12/03 08:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, this sounds like a great experiment!! My Baby can hardly wait to try it. Finally, a use for those oversized terrariums crammed in her storage building!

Baby has a super-large yard, but her dogs made outside experiments difficult. Her pit bull jumps chain link and eats wood, so last year's outdoor experiments were trashed.

I have 2 more bails of wheat straw coming tomorrow, and now I know what to do with them! Thanks 6T.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1543119 - 05/12/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey baby, (not trying to sound sexually suggestive!)
How much do you normally pay for a bale of wheat straw?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: PDU]
    #1543219 - 05/12/03 09:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Going price for an average 75 pound bale from a feed store is $5 or 6 bucks.

Might be a bit higher for city slickers, in metro area's.

6T :wink: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 *DELETED* [Re: SixTango]
    #1543818 - 05/13/03 12:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: poke smot!]
    #1544312 - 05/13/03 04:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like someone sold you a bale of low grade hay, rather than wheat straw.

Hay & wheat straw are not the same thing. Hay can be about any grass - harvested & bailed. Wheat straw is harvested from wheat feilds, after the grain is removed.

6T

--------------------

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten
Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: poke smot!]
    #1544378 - 05/13/03 06:02 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I was unaware that there were different qualities of wheat straw. Of course now I've found out that there is such thing as shitty straw.

What kind of straw is this high quality straw??

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: distortion]
    #1544385 - 05/13/03 06:10 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Clean bright shiny gold colored wheat straw, no grass, seeds or foreign matter.

6T

--------------------

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: SixTango]
    #1545207 - 05/13/03 01:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yep, what he said. Here's the difference:

Once you use the good stuff, you will NEVER go back to craft straw. The hay and grass crap in there seems to LOVE contams. My baby lost several strains due to low quality straw.

I'm in the city and I drive a WAYS to get her a bale, not to mention hauling that sucker back and storing it (I usually pay a friend with a dually to do it for me). I started out paying $15 a bale, but I've got them down to $8 now. They have to special order it for me, and it takes about a week.

The biggest problem I have is storing the excess straw - do you think people would buy it if I cut it up and sold it in 3 pound packs? Shouldn't cost much to ship, and then I could just store enough for a couple months at a time and sell the rest off. I get my teenage daughter and her friends to cut it into 3-4" pieces when I get it, so I have a bunch pre-cut right now.

I wish I could find a good rye source within driving distance - I'm going broke buying it in those little expensive bags. I'm using wheat right now, because my ONLY source has been out for weeks.

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1545216 - 05/13/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

what is the problem with storing it? once chopped simply keep in a rubbermaid bin or garbage bags.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Straw Users Please Read - Updated 5/12/03 [Re: debianlinux]
    #1545406 - 05/13/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I live in the city. Small space for big money. Older house = smaller closets. We have 5 outside storage buildings, and we're adding a stand-alone garage with loft by year's end (for business use). Can't add on to the house because they built them almost on TOP of the freakin' septic tanks in the 50's, and it will be another 5 years before they switch us to city sewer. Therefore, the problem is space.
I could put it in the storage building we rent a couple miles away, since I'm already paying $70 a month for it, but how inconvenient is that going to be?
Unless you've put storage shelves INSIDE your a/c closet, or spent hundreds on organizing products, you probably won't understand.
I bought my house for location, knowing I couldn't add on for years. Once I can, it will be perfect. Until then, I have huge space problems.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate