Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Slug and bird problems?
    #1493493 - 04/25/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Was curious if any other outdoor people out there have had problems with slugs? I don't mind sharing fruits with nature but just curious about concerns that i should look for as some of the caps obviously had been eaten by something and had a hole in them with black discoloration aroud the eaten hole. Also pulled up some and there was slugs on the base? Also seems the birds liked to eat them as well. Any other tips for outdoor folks?

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTaz_Khmer
Recovered andSober

Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: socratesmind]
    #1493515 - 04/25/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Spread ash and or sawdust around your bed. And for the birds.. just throw out some old bread for them to peck on.

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: Taz_Khmer]
    #1493555 - 04/25/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

And for the birds.. just throw out some old bread for them to peck on. 

Don't know about that - that might have a negative effect IMO - it would actually attract more birds and I'm sure some would find his mushies ...  :smile:

A birdfeeder set away from your patch might do the trick, or even the bread idea so long as it wasn't in the same area, but even that I doubt would significantly cut down on the bird problem.

GL anyway - outdoor patches are simply beautiful to look at.

Rustik

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Edited by Rustik (04/25/03 02:17 PM)

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: Rustik]
    #1493592 - 04/25/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yeah it's not that i don't mind sharing with my friends in nature it's just nice to watch em sprout up :smile: cause nobody would ever pick them :wink:

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinepsyl0
glasshole

#1493637 - 04/25/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

put a few cans of beer in a bird bath on the ground (no pedestal) and it will attract the slugs. then they'll drown in it. my mom used to do this for her garden.

--------------------

Edited by psyl0 (04/25/03 02:41 PM)

OfflineTaz_Khmer
Recovered andSober

Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: Rustik]
    #1493788 - 04/25/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Never had a problem with birds eating my fruits though. But I just leave out bread outside for them to grub on and they never touch nor go near my fruits. The holes on the caps are caused mostly by slugs and snails and sometimes red ants. I don?t think that birds like to eat magic shroom. But they surely do like to eat away on your grain spawn if it?s visible to them. Good thing that you don?t have any problems with fruit flies, red ants, and nematodes... Tip: Never place fresh grass clippings near or on mushroom bed because it attracts mushroom flies.

These pest were hard as hell to take pictures of.

Here birdy, birdy, birdy.........

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1495244 - 04/26/03 03:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Slugs will always attack your shrooms. You can see some damage they did on these shrooms, but it seems that they didn't like them too much.

Anti-slug chemicals are not an option, but I heard an interesting recipe from a gardener. You place few plastic cups around your patch and pour some beer in it. Slugs like it and they collect in these cups over night. The next day you can take them away (don't throw them to the neighbour :grin:), but I still have to try if this really works.

As for the birds... my cats took care of them even too much.  :crazy:     

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: zeronio]
    #1497119 - 04/26/03 11:53 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I have tried the beer tek in my garden and all I ever caught was cockroaches. I have read that diatomacious "Fuller's" earth is good for controling slugs and snails. Fuller's earth is a mineral consisting of nearly pure silicates and it was once commonly used for adsorbing stains from clothing. You might be able to find it with fabric stain removers but I haven't seen it on the shelves for years. The mineral is made up the silica shells of microscopic algae called diatoms and the effect on slugs is like crawling over broken glass but for us it feels like a fine powder. You sprinkle it on the ground in areas where you want the slugs to stay away.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: woodrow]
    #1497841 - 04/27/03 11:51 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

welp are the fruits edible that the slugs have eaten off of? i know sometimes its like a hole in the cap with black arouund the hole. just curious if these were safe to eat and such. oh btw red ants i found as well. prolly just 'nature' :smile:

--------------------

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

#1498175 - 04/27/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Diatomacious earth would work perfectly. I believe they sell it at most decent garden supply centers.. The diatoms actually cut into the slug and cause it to dehydrate, I believe. Don't know about how much it costs, but I'm sure if you were fairly generous in spreading it around your patch the slug problem would disappear completely.

I also hear that a ring of soapy water around your patch will do the trick, but I think I remember it had to be a specific kind of soap, like real soap made with lye or something like that..  not sure, research it :smile: 

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

OfflineTaz_Khmer
Recovered andSober

#1499475 - 04/27/03 11:46 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It won't harm you if you eat it. It' just bruising of the mushrooms. Make sure you wash it real good before consuming it.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: Taz_Khmer]
    #1499849 - 04/28/03 02:13 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

beer and dirty clothes....beer works wekk for baiting slugs....I usualy pour it into a ppie tin, the reason for a scare crow works is the clothes smell of laundry detergent and sweat....for about 2 weeks.....bright reflective surfaces wrk as well....the extra pie tins hanging from a few branches will deter them...

Offlinefalcated
just anothercurve
Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1502774 - 04/28/03 10:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Not sure about diatomacious earth working with slugs... but it does great with fleas! (or any other small creatures having an external waxy coating as a moisture barrier) It's great stuff, and non-toxic as it's just crushed shellfish.

The beer trick will definitely take out the slugs. They love it. As Prisone#1 mentioned, try the pie tin. Bury it so the lip is near the ground and watch the slugs drink themselves into oblivion.

For the birds you might also try urinating near the area; although, if they're belligerent like crows or blue jays you might have to "regulate" and leave behind some of their family as a warning. Kind of nixes the quaint outdoor patch though.

OfflineRabbidJack
Stranger
    #1504378 - 04/29/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I would think that the birds are eating insects attracted by the mushrooms, not the mushrooms themselves.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: RabbidJack]
    #1504463 - 04/29/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I would think that the birds are eating insects attracted by the mushrooms, not the mushrooms themselves.

i've had problems here and there with birds and squirrels rooting around in millet cakes to get the seed. they basically just tear it up a bit and move on. it's not the mush, it's the grain.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1504592 - 04/29/03 01:32 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Bird netting can be had at most garden supply places. The bugs/slugs are what draws the birds. Beer in a pie plate is a good slug bait trap. Yoiu can also circle the patch with Diatomite (DE). It is inert & will kill slugs, once they crawl around in it.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Slug and bird problems? [Re: SixTango]
    #1504787 - 04/29/03 02:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yea they also use diatomacious earth in pools as a cleanser instead of chlorine i think.  well seems too hot for mush's to mature anyway in that spot right now. guess have to wait till after the summer is over. mid to upper 80's during day and they get direct sun for a few hours a day so prolly higher temps than that. after they poke out of the soil its pretty much they quit growing. oh well i guess i'll let the slugs feast :smile: but thanks for the tips guys.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag