Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWhite Stag
Stranger
Male

Loc: Ohio
What is the risk for infection by Oyster Mushroom on Houseplants/Fruit Trees?
    #14916984 - 08/13/11 07:38 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone. I've been growing Pleurotus ostreatus for a while now and MAN does that species produce spores! It makes a complete mess every time it fruits! I've been meaning to get a Cacao plant (Chocolate tree) to grow as a houseplant, as well as a Kumquat and some other fruit trees (some of which would have to be kept outdoors during the growing season to get adequate light). Being that Oyster Mushroom is an extremely aggressive species and a parasite (at times), and it leaves spores everywhere which can remain viable for quite a while (or so I hear), is there any danger to tree species I might grow in the same room or even house with it? And if there is, what can I do to protect my trees from infection?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: What is the risk for infection by Oyster Mushroom on Houseplants/Fruit Trees? [Re: White Stag]
    #14917175 - 08/13/11 08:41 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'd say the chances of infection are slim but there's always a possibility. You can stop growing oysters but that's a silly idea so you'd be best to contain those spores as best as possible, not only for your plants health but yours as well. People, over time, can form allergic reactions to spores and it's good practice to limit your exposure to them.

If you limit the spores I'd say your chances of growing plants successfully are quite high.

--------------------

OfflineWhite Stag
Stranger
Male

Loc: Ohio
Re: What is the risk for infection by Oyster Mushroom on Houseplants/Fruit Trees? [Re: karode13]
    #14917252 - 08/13/11 09:01 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

That's sort of what I was thinking - I was thinking of growing the Oysters in a tote with a hole (or several) in the sides with some sort of filter over the holes, but Oyster Mushroom spores are pretty frickin small. Any ideas on what might filter out the spores that I can use in this capacity, while maintaining good moisture and fresh air access? Also, I would really like to know, if there's anyone on here that has any idea, what the exact infection process is like for Pleurotus ostreatus. I'm guessing the spores or mycelium enter a wound in the plant. Now, I'm not too worried about loose mycelium getting in my pots, cause I'm pretty sure it's very unlikely to happen, but what, exactly activates the spores? In the wild, how do Pleurotus ostreatus infect their hosts? Do they have to colonize from dead material first? Or can they just have spores land on a wound and go to town? Anyone know?

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: What is the risk for infection by Oyster Mushroom on Houseplants/Fruit Trees? [Re: White Stag]
    #14917335 - 08/13/11 09:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Their spores are quite small and you'd want to use a filter with a mesh rating of less than 10µm or a HEPA filter but that's overkill. I'd just do the best you can.

Your theory of how they germinate on new substrate sounds good, they're Saprobes. They're mostly after dead wood but I suppose they can scavenge and have been blamed for some heart rots in some tree species. For their spores to germinate you would have to have favourable environmental factors like correct temperature, moisture and the right kind of food ie. dead wood. They aren't the hardest mushrooms to grow and their growing parameters would range depending on species. For specifics I would hit up the cultivation forum as I'm not that much into growing as I am the taxonomy.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden