Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflinePsy Baba
That was zen, This is Tao
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The land of Ports.
playing out .mp3 vs. .wav
    #14914369 - 08/13/11 01:53 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What are your thoughts on the matter?

At what point should you by no means use an .mp3 to play music over a large system.

Is it a sin to do so?

How much better is .wav anyways?

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
Sit up and meditate, there's no time to contemplate.
-------------------------------------------------
I have an international Hitech Psytrance project with a friend: BioChronic
I make various form of Psytrance as a solo Project Dendriform

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThe Phleg
Big Dick Chakra

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: Psy Baba]
    #14914392 - 08/13/11 02:05 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I find no problems playing 320kbps mp3s on any system.

--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: The Phleg]
    #14914446 - 08/13/11 02:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

if you want a free, lossess audio codec you can't go far wrong with FLAC. Good luck finding an MP3 player that supports it (for me, it's more about archival of my music, I make mp3 copies as well if I want to take it away on Steve Job's iSuckcock)

Also, a wav can only be as good as it's sound source. I think CD quality is 44.1Khz at 16 bit (whilst master tapes are 16 bit, 48Khz. Again, it's been a while since I picked up an issue of sound on sound so if any audio engineers want to correct me please step in) . Can't remember the significance of 44.1khz, my dad was telling me about it. Said something about manufacturers like Philips would do 1 bit DAC's with really high refresh rates.

--------------------

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #14914466 - 08/13/11 02:36 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i have the tool discography in FLAC, and some dark as fuck ambient shit in FLAC as well, you can REALLY tell the difference, especially on my 7.1 in my room, in the dark...

flac is awesome, but i have a few mates that are resident djs and they play mp3's out all the time, you often hear them whinging about the quality but i think it's DJ code to buy tracks off beatport anyways, if you are a nice guy. a couple of my dj friends only play bought tracks, a few play whatever they can download.

i had a hand at it for a little bit, got well and truly over burning cd's. i'd love to get my hands on traktor. my mate has it, who's playing resident alongside Phil K at a local bar. It's fun as fuck to use, makes dj'ing actually wicked-tits fun and takes the stress out of carrying around cd's and whatnot.

I have sometimes heard in a bar or club when a dj mixes a track that is shitty mp3 quality... that is bad dj'ing to me, you should proof your shit, or buy it...

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: indica]
    #14914486 - 08/13/11 02:45 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

btw, check this out

especially the Phil K live @ PopLife set... it is fucing tits... one of my favourite electronic sets of all time, weird quirky philk style!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #14914492 - 08/13/11 02:49 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

.wav is the greater of the two hands down if you are talking about pure audio with no loss of sound quality between the original source.
It's true that it is only as good as the source, because it is exactly the source.

320kbps MP3 is almost indistinguishable to all but the most trained human ears and audiophiles on high-end systems.
There is some loss in quality from compression but it's barely noticeable at higher bitrates.

sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. It depends who you ask and what the venue is.
I definitely wouldn't call high bitrate mp3s a sin. Most venues you probably can't even tell the difference
But generally speaking an uncompressed file (FLAC, WAV.. et) is always going to sound better (at least as good as the original source..)

Here's a good thread on the subject - http://forums.di.fm/the-dj-booth/mp3-wav-ect-and-playing-out-in-club-98411/

--------------------

InvisibleIndividual
Bass Addict
Male User Gallery

Loc: Reality Loophole
    #14914827 - 08/13/11 06:29 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

it really depends on the setup

320 for home listening

flac/wav to play out at a party

--------------------
THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIBERTY <---                                               

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #14914847 - 08/13/11 06:43 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Vinyl > .wav > .mp3

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #14917082 - 08/13/11 06:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MadSeasonAbove said:
Vinyl > .wav > .mp3

"Hang on, that song is over. Wait for 20 seconds whilst I flip the record over and put the stylus back down. Wait, dusty. Where's the goat hair brush? *clean* Ok, let's try it now.. Ahh, needle slipped.

I love my record collection but it's just a damn hassle.

--------------------

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #14917142 - 08/13/11 06:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

most club sound systems now are configured for high quality mp3's. from what i hear, my dj friends who play the occasional record say vinyl sounds off now.

and, this statement is not true.

Quote:

MadSeasonAbove said:
Vinyl > .wav > .mp3

some people may prefer the warmth of the sound of vinyl (i like it myself), but from a purely engineering stand point nothing beats digital quality. .wav is about as perfect a rendering of a file you will get when it comes to music. as far as dance music goes, pretty much anything you hear on vinyl will have been rendered directly from digital unless it's a classic that's older than 25 or so years, and even then with re-pressings they render from digital.

some people still use older hardware for making noise. for example boards of canada use reel to reel tape to get certain effects in their music. but that doesn't mean the end product isn't a digital file.

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: indica]
    #14917178 - 08/13/11 06:42 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

indica said:
i have the tool discography in FLAC, and some dark as fuck ambient shit in FLAC as well, you can REALLY tell the difference, especially on my 7.1 in my room, in the dark...

flac is awesome, but i have a few mates that are resident djs and they play mp3's out all the time, you often hear them whinging about the quality but i think it's DJ code to buy tracks off beatport anyways, if you are a nice guy. a couple of my dj friends only play bought tracks, a few play whatever they can download.

i had a hand at it for a little bit, got well and truly over burning cd's. i'd love to get my hands on traktor. my mate has it, who's playing resident alongside Phil K at a local bar. It's fun as fuck to use, makes dj'ing actually wicked-tits fun and takes the stress out of carrying around cd's and whatnot.

I have sometimes heard in a bar or club when a dj mixes a track that is shitty mp3 quality... that is bad dj'ing to me, you should proof your shit, or buy it...

Bullshit.  I highly doubt you can tell the difference between 320 and wav.  Between 128 and wav, no doubt, but 320 is pretty damn close to perfect.

I've been on headfi for a while and 99% of the audiophiles on there with incredible headphone setups under a blind test can't tell the difference.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14917215 - 08/13/11 06:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

head-fi  :awethumb:

I try and get all my music in FLAC just because I know it's more faithful to the recording, even if it is indistinguishable.  I convert to 320kpbs CBR for iPod use and I figure at that point my iPod is the quality-limiting factor more than the song anyway.

OfflineRectangle 3D
Magical Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Camelot Flag
Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: abltsandwich]
    #14917238 - 08/13/11 06:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

a video with 16bit 48k stereo sound output, (it seems to be the best final cut could do)

is that the best choice, lets say I were to show this video in a small theater, is 16 bit better than 8 bit?

you would think sound would have gotten better, but it seems we are still working with the same stuff I remember from the early 90s

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: millzy]
    #14917324 - 08/13/11 07:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

millzy said:
most club sound systems now are configured for high quality mp3's. from what i hear, my dj friends who play the occasional record say vinyl sounds off now.

Quote:

MadSeasonAbove said:
Vinyl > .wav > .mp3

some people may prefer the warmth of the sound of vinyl (i like it myself), but from a purely engineering stand point nothing beats digital quality. .wav is about as perfect a rendering of a file you will get when it comes to music. as far as dance music goes, pretty much anything you hear on vinyl will have been rendered directly from digital unless it's a classic that's older than 25 or so years, and even then with re-pressings they render from digital.

some people still use older hardware for making noise. for example boards of canada use reel to reel tape to get certain effects in their music. but that doesn't mean the end product isn't a digital file.

That warm sound you're describing is what people usually ascribe to valve amps. I have a lot of old jungle and dance records from the early 90's/late 80's and it's anything but warm sounding :smile:. I have live, non synthetic recorded music to.

A friend of a friend has a friend that does record cutting, and he could get dub-plates made by bringing in mp3's/cd's which would then be put onto the cutting lathe. I have been to peacefrog records in London whilst my dad and his boss was setting up their hi-fi, and got to see their impressive 1920's cutting lathe, with original equipment in a rackmount, controlled by some rather fancy looking editors.

My dad's friend is a PA and recording engineer. I don't want to quote him because I'll get it wrong, but the gist of it is that the source material is what's really important. Records are analog, no two pressings will sound the same (but damn similar) whilst all CD's will sound the same.

Now, I've grown up all my life with CD's and it's only been recently I've heard more live music. And maybe it's partial deafness, maybe it's not, but I'm hard pressed (apart from telling one's in a studio/the other is in a church/pub/nightclub) to tell the difference between live and CD. Easy to spot it with a record. "Hiss, crackle, hisss."

I like the hisses and crackles, but usually get annoyed as it means I haven't cleaned the records enough.

--------------------

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

#14917382 - 08/13/11 07:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

indica said:

Bullshit.  I highly doubt you can tell the difference between 320 and wav.  Between 128 and wav, no doubt, but 320 is pretty damn close to perfect.

I've been on headfi for a while and 99% of the audiophiles on there with incredible headphone setups under a blind test can't tell the difference.

I never said 320, i just said shitty mp3 quality.

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #14919249 - 08/14/11 04:52 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
Quote:

millzy said:

Quote:

MadSeasonAbove said:
Vinyl > .wav > .mp3

That warm sound you're describing is what people usually ascribe to valve amps. I have a lot of old jungle and dance records from the early 90's/late 80's and it's anything but warm sounding :smile:. I have live, non synthetic recorded music to.

A friend of a friend has a friend that does record cutting, and he could get dub-plates made by bringing in mp3's/cd's which would then be put onto the cutting lathe. I have been to peacefrog records in London whilst my dad and his boss was setting up their hi-fi, and got to see their impressive 1920's cutting lathe, with original equipment in a rackmount, controlled by some rather fancy looking editors.

My dad's friend is a PA and recording engineer. I don't want to quote him because I'll get it wrong, but the gist of it is that the source material is what's really important. Records are analog, no two pressings will sound the same (but damn similar) whilst all CD's will sound the same.

Now, I've grown up all my life with CD's and it's only been recently I've heard more live music. And maybe it's partial deafness, maybe it's not, but I'm hard pressed (apart from telling one's in a studio/the other is in a church/pub/nightclub) to tell the difference between live and CD. Easy to spot it with a record. "Hiss, crackle, hisss."

I like the hisses and crackles, but usually get annoyed as it means I haven't cleaned the records enough.

right on man. that's awesome. i've never had the opportunity to see a record get pressed before. for me personally, i mostly just aim for 256 (itunes) or above mp3's when i purchase music. if i download i try to go with 320 or a lossless format like flac or ogg vorbis. i don't quite understand the purism when it comes to stuff like this because as long as it sounds good then i'm cool with it. i've a little vinyl collection and quite a bit of digital stuff too (as well as a closet full of cd's). personally i prefer the convenience of digital, and i really can't tell the difference tbh.

--------------------

Offlineteamkiller
ghetto drama whore
 User Gallery

#14919324 - 08/14/11 05:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i've seen those double blinds.  People are aware of more than they're consciously hearing.

don't disrespect the system, don't disrespect the audience.
if the situation is casual, be causal.  if the vibe is important, and you have equipment capable of powerful magics, don't fuck around.

edit: by the way, with my own music i can defintely hear the difference between wav and 320

could i say one is better than the other?  no.

do i like to listen to my own music in 96k 24bit wav?  yes, because it sounds like it sounded when i was making it.  you spend 50 hours on a track, you're pretty familiar with really faint details.

--------------------

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: teamkiller]
    #14919591 - 08/14/11 07:30 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

wav for samples, mp3 for songs

don't really care

OfflineRectangle 3D
Magical Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Camelot Flag
    #14921558 - 08/14/11 04:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

teamkiller said:
i've seen those double blinds.  People are aware of more than they're consciously hearing.

don't disrespect the system, don't disrespect the audience.
if the situation is casual, be causal.  if the vibe is important, and you have equipment capable of powerful magics, don't fuck around.

edit: by the way, with my own music i can defintely hear the difference between wav and 320

could i say one is better than the other?  no.

do i like to listen to my own music in 96k 24bit wav?  yes, because it sounds like it sounded when i was making it.  you spend 50 hours on a track, you're pretty familiar with really faint details.

as someone who also takes 50hours on editing video, this is something i can get behind lol

so here is my question TK... if I have a song on a cd or itunes, can I upgrade it to 96k wav like you mentioned? I cant wait to upgrade some songs if I am able to, any recommendations??

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#14921673 - 08/14/11 04:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

Are there any actual studies or data on this?

I tend to agree with your sentiment.  There are obvious technical differences between format, but I'd be VERY curious to see if anyone has systematically looked at whether or not people can actually tell the difference.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: badchad]
    #14922068 - 08/14/11 06:15 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know of any official studies, but there was a big thread on whether or not FLAC was better, and people mostly came to the agreement that anyone who had tried BLINDLY couldn't tell - the only people who claimed they could tell knew they were listening to FLAC and were just claiming there was a difference.

Offlineteamkiller
ghetto drama whore
 User Gallery

#14922140 - 08/14/11 06:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

nah you can't like upgrade file quality after the fact.  I my music isn't that good or nuanced or anything, but working with something so long you know it really intimately.  Its always crisper working directly within the DAW vs mp3, sometimes shockingly so.

They've shown people are sensitive to frequencies they can't hear, up to 100khz

Even most .wav chops off everything after 44khz.  I suspect there is a loss of felt but not heard harmonics.

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#14922244 - 08/14/11 06:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

teamkiller said:
nah you can't like upgrade file quality after the fact.  I my music isn't that good or nuanced or anything, but working with something so long you know it really intimately.  Its always crisper working directly within the DAW vs mp3, sometimes shockingly so.

They've shown people are sensitive to frequencies they can't hear, up to 100khz

Even most .wav chops off everything after 44khz.  I suspect there is a loss of felt but not heard harmonics.

What about my post are you responding to?  I never suggested you could 'upgrade' a song's quality... that doesn't make any sense.

Offlineteamkiller
ghetto drama whore
 User Gallery

#14922267 - 08/14/11 06:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i opted out of the reply to feature.  someone asked me a question.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#14922340 - 08/14/11 07:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, as everyone is alluding to here - decent size mp3 vs. cd quality wav, not much difference.

The real issue is that 16bit 44hz as the standard for "high quality" audio has become a farce in the current age, a bad habit of a media standard, fucking compact disc. 

CD's have always been shit quite honestly due to their fragility but now thanks to the ubiquity of the compact disc in a digital age where more than twice the fidelity is easily had, the stupid physical media has become the bottleneck for audio quality. 

Down with the compact disc!

OfflinePsy Baba

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: Viveka]
    #14922812 - 08/14/11 08:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

.wav on top, .mp3 on bottom.

I see some very minor differences.  :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

#14922864 - 08/14/11 09:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

reel to reel tape is where its at for quality.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

I think the word is vagina

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#14922898 - 08/14/11 09:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well, since the transients don't line up it's tough to make much of a comparison...

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: nuentoter]
    #14922922 - 08/14/11 09:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

nuentoter said:
reel to reel tape is where its at for quality.

So is a big digital file.  The problem is that the standard for so long has been cd quality, so every master usually gets the 16 bit 44 hz treatment in the end, so you have word length reduction and degraded audio quality for no good reason at all except that it fits properly onto a fucking compact disc.

OfflinePsy Baba

#14922926 - 08/14/11 09:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
Well, since the transients don't line up it's tough to make much of a comparison...

i know :frown: I uploaded same track in wav and mp3 into audacity both starting at 1.1.1. and I do not know why they do not line up.

--------------------

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: badchad]
    #14923063 - 08/14/11 09:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

When confronting audiophiles, ask them what they think it is, and just tell them it's whatever they want to hear. Be all like ah, yeah man that's uncanny you were so close and then tell them it's the next quality up or down or whatever for the lulz. They'll be all pro ears an you get a laugh.

--------------------

wat man rly

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

#14923083 - 08/14/11 09:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

mp3 is very low quality audio. It distorts the true sound of the audio. I find that aac (what apple uses in iTunes) is much much more true to the way music should sound. I don't use iTunes to rip cd's. I use Max for macintosh. I use the m4a encoding and I always do the bit rate at at least 256 if not 320.

As with wav, wav is completely lossless, but it takes up way too much space on a hard drive (or whatever storage medium one is using).

If you MUST use mp3, make sure it is at least 192 bit rate. 128 is pretty shitty if you ask me.

I prefer FLAC over wav though because flac takes up way less space.

OfflinePsy Baba

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: occollegeboi]
    #14923109 - 08/14/11 10:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
mp3 is very low quality audio. It distorts the true sound of the audio. I find that aac (what apple uses in iTunes) is much much more true to the way music should sound. I don't use iTunes to rip cd's. I use Max for macintosh. I use the m4a encoding and I always do the bit rate at at least 256 if not 320.

As with wav, wav is completely lossless, but it takes up way too much space on a hard drive (or whatever storage medium one is using).

If you MUST use mp3, make sure it is at least 192 bit rate. 128 is pretty shitty if you ask me.

I was asking about 320 mp3, i NEVER go below that.  192 is complete shit on a huge system , I know by personal experience and my own tune.

--------------------

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: occollegeboi]
    #14923141 - 08/14/11 10:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:

Beacuse: Apple, a Scientifificial, FACT

Nobody uses 128/192 MP3. The only time I have ever found those files they were *cough* free *cough* anyway.

--------------------

wat man rly

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: blujay]
    #14924172 - 08/15/11 02:54 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i didn't realize that "cd quality" was considered to be so low rung. plastic has always sounded pretty damn good to me.

also, for the most part, the flac's i seem to grab are ones from vinyl rips of classic, limited edition stuff. i do have some newer stuff in flac form. my only complaint is burning it for my one of my best friends who is anti-technology (old school hippie). if anyone can give me the easiest way to do this shit, it would be appreciated b/c i love sharing music with him.

edit: freeware is the way i wanna go. i'm on windows 7 btw. i have a freeware flac converter but its vbr and i wanna retain the quality if i'm burning it onto a disc.

--------------------

Edited by millzy (08/15/11 02:56 AM)

InvisibleIndividual
Bass Addict
Male User Gallery

Loc: Reality Loophole
    #14924193 - 08/15/11 03:05 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DuNeRaVeR said:
.wav on top, .mp3 on bottom.

I see some very minor differences.  :shrug:

You can't see the frequencies on that picture. If you opened those files in Adobe Audition spectral view you'd see that the mp3 has higher frequencies cut off at certain point, while the wav has not.

Not that I care, I'm happy with my 320-s.

--------------------
THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIBERTY <---                                               

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: Individual]
    #14924632 - 08/15/11 07:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

In regards to audio quality, it depends on your sound system.

Back in the days of napster and kazaa I was happily listening to music of 128kbps resolution. Now I can't because I can hear the MP3 artifacts. I still have a few old tunes recorded in that format as I don't have any choice (There is one song I have, hopefully in my email as well as my music collection called Oldskooldaze by moonpi. Sadly, I lost the original mod or xm file, and just have the mp3. I have no idea who made it, but it's the most amazing bit of jungalism I have ever heard).

I use banshee but it's not too good at identifying my music CD's, I am in the slow process of converting my collection to FLAC. Ipod be damned. I only use it for podcasts and games anyway.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#14925019 - 08/15/11 09:40 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

i didn't realize that "cd quality" was considered to be so low rung. plastic has always sounded pretty damn good to me.

Well, cd's sound decent enough, completely faithful reproduction of the final 16 bit 44hz master.  The problem is that a much larger digital format is possible, but was too large for the standard media all these years. 

Using a larger digital file standard would entirely change how recorded music sounds because there is literally more "room" for sound in the mix.  A 32-bit recording environment, vs. 16-bit, has greater headroom - more physical space for the waveform to breathe.  More information can fit into a greater digital space, this means more nuances of the signal can be retained and more energy can be present in the mix before the master is clipped, ie:digital distortion is introduced(which is unacceptable). 

A crude but workable analogy is that adopting a larger audio file than 16 bit 44hz as a standard would be like buying a larger aquarium that can hold more water, more fish and extra plants and terrain for the little guys to swim around in.

Offlinegilesypopper
Psycho Jester
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dimenson D
    #14925186 - 08/15/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
Quote:

Well, cd's sound decent enough, completely faithful reproduction of the final 16 bit 44hz master.  The problem is that a much larger digital format is possible, but was too large for the standard media all these years. 

Using a larger digital file standard would entirely change how recorded music sounds because there is literally more "room" for sound in the mix.  A 32-bit recording environment, vs. 16-bit, has greater headroom - more physical space for the waveform to breathe.  More information can fit into a greater digital space, this means more nuances of the signal can be retained and more energy can be present in the mix before the master is clipped, ie:digital distortion is introduced(which is unacceptable). 

A crude but workable analogy is that adopting a larger audio file than 16 bit 44hz as a standard would be like buying a larger aquarium that can hold more water, more fish and extra plants and terrain for the little guys to swim around in.

Care to put a figure on how perceptibly different 32 bit would sound compared to 16 bit?

Years back, when I went from 160k to 320 I noticed how much warmer everything sounded. Slightly more again from 320kb to lossless. Something like that?

--------------------
Law breakers, law makers, let us fight them all, why not.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: playing out .mp3 vs. .wav [Re: gilesypopper]
    #14925243 - 08/15/11 10:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gilesypopper said:
Quote:

Viveka said:
Quote:

Care to put a figure on how perceptibly different 32 bit would sound compared to 16 bit?

Years back, when I went from 160k to 320 I noticed how much warmer everything sounded. Slightly more again from 320kb to lossless. Something like that?

Probably almost inaudibly to all but the most trained ears - I highly doubt you can tell the difference between 320 and lossless.  What kind of set up are you using to discern those differences?

Offlinegilesypopper
Psycho Jester
Male User Gallery

#14925620 - 08/15/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Mid range. Nothing special. I'm no pro, but I am quite picky. I don't think I could discern any specific, single difference between 320k and lossless, but it def. sounds just a tad warmer. Perhaps fuller is a better way of describing it, particularly on music with a greater range like classical. I'm happy with 320 most of the time though.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#14928057 - 08/15/11 07:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

gilesypopper said:
Quote:

Viveka said:
Quote:

Probably almost inaudibly to all but the most trained ears - I highly doubt you can tell the difference between 320 and lossless.  What kind of set up are you using to discern those differences?

It's not about the difference between one quality mp3 - derived from a cd quality wav - and another quality mp3 derived from a cd quality wav.  I don't think you would really understand the difference qualitatively unless you spent some hours mixing in a DAW in 16 bit environment vs 24 or 32 bit. 

With greater bit depth, there is literally more physical space, to put it very simply, for sound to exist, more headroom.  This means music can be more dynamic, with a greater contrast between the most quiet and most loud moments.  My fishtank analogy from earlier is actually a pretty decent way to visualize it.  Sound is a form of energy and it will fill and overflow the digital media format much like water in a fishtank.  With greater bit depth there is quite literally more space to fill with sound energy. 

A more technical way to look at it is that audio recorded at 24 bit, 96kHz yields 250 times the audio resolution of audio recorded at 16bit, 44.1kHz, ie:CD quality.  Does this mean the 24/96 mix sounds 250 times better than a CD?  No, of course not. But it is significantly more dynamic, more nuanced, every element has more definition, the transients are more clear, it is entirely superior by just about any metric, subjective or objective.  Even the absolute layman would hear the difference by comparison.  Most people have never heard the difference in recorded music because 16bit, 44.1kHz CD quality audio is and has been, quite unfortunately, the standard distribution media for a long time.

DVD audio can achieve 24bit/192kHz so if you want to hear the difference find an album you like that has the preserved high definition master transferred to DVD and compare it to the CD version.  Movie theater audio systems usually operate at a greater bit depth also.  Think of how quiet certain moments of a movie can be in a theater vs how ear-splittingly loud it can become, much more dynamic range than Compact Disc.

Offlinegilesypopper
Psycho Jester
Male User Gallery

#14947857 - 08/19/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent response, thanks for taking the time to reply.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale