Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUrQuattro
Paradigm Shifter

Loc: SFCAUSA
so, exactly how much is one person supposed to take?
    #1490324 - 04/24/03 06:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

so, just the other day, i posted about how my dad started drinking again...

i came home last night to see my father sitting onthe couch, television off, with an intently blank stare on his face. that alone was enough to cause some alarm bells to go off... so i asked him if something was wrong, and all he could do was look up at me and kind of grunt... i sat down next to him and asked him if everything was ok... he was able to get out a barely audible 'yes.' i asked him what he had taken, and he couldnt answer me. i could smell alot of alcohol, but ive seen him drunk before, and ive seen other people drunk before, and this was something very, very different. he couldnt even sit up... he would try, andthen he would just fall back against the cushions of the couch. his eyes were dialated, and every few seconds they would roll up into his head a little... he could barely hold his head up, and his breathing was deep but very very slow (slower than during sleep).

i immediately thought that he had taken his daily dosage of vicodin, trazodone, and clonidine (a hypertension med... so it works by lowering blood pressure), and then drank a massive amount of alcohol. that scared the crap out ofme, because i know that would cause extremely depressed breathing, heartrate, etc... well, i called poison control, and they said that it would be best to call the paramedics...

so, i called the paramedics, and they came, and eventually decided to take him to the er...

by this point i was panicking a bit... i had nobody that i could call to help me deal with this, and i had already missed a night of sleep (ive been having a bit of insomnia lately).... so, i drove down to the hospital, and sat with him in the er while we waited for the tox-screen results...

it turns out that, thank god, he had not taken any of his medications, but that, instead, he had a blood alcohol content of .40. that is the LD50 dose (the dose at which 50% of the people would die)... and basically, if i had not found him when i did, i would not have known what happened, and i could have found him today, dead...

so, after being at the hospital from 1 am till 11 am, they finally released him, and we came home...

i dont know how to react to this... on one hand, he actually said, in the hospital, that he doesnt want to ever drink again, and that he really doesnt understand why he drank at all the night before... he has NEVER NEVER said anything like this to anyone... he even took full responsibility for the poor decision that was drinking last night...

but on the other hand, i shudder to think of the fact that it was only because i happened to have a last minute meeting to go to yesterrday evening that allowed me to find him at all... because if i had not have gone, i would have been in myroom and not have seen him until he was passed out... so, overall, i feel pretty good that i was able to save my father's life... but i shouldnt have to save my father's life in order to feel ok... ya know?

so, i just wonder at what point all of this ends... here is the brief overview of the past year:

my girlfriend broke up with me, then one of my best friends was killed in a car accident while he was trying to save some people, then my computer died (i know, nothing in comparison), then i found out that i couldnt participate with my professional auto racing team anymore due to political reasons, then one of my close cousins was killed in an auto accident, then my father was almost killed in an auto accident... he was then in a coma for 9 weeks, in physical therapy for 4 more, and is permanently disabled now, then, while my father was in a coma, my mom went psycho (she has emotionally abused me my entire life) on christmas eve, and i had to finally stand up for myself.. so i was home alone on christmas eve and day, and (finally) one of my close friends tried to commit suicide, so i had to call the police to have him committed....

i dunno... there are some things that are happening right now that make me very happy, but at the same time, i dont know why this keeps happening...

sorry gusy, i just needed to getthat off my chest.

--------------------
True wisdom is the knowledge that nothing is impossible except for absolute knowledge.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: so, exactly how much is one person supposed to take? [Re: UrQuattro]
    #1490412 - 04/24/03 07:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well man from what I can tell your friends and family are blessed to have you around - all this karma should come back to you on various forms :smile: Thanks for sharing this with us.

Hang in there, man - remember that you're still breathing :wink: Good luck, buddy - feel free to vent any more stuff that you need to :smile: :smile:

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineBlowMiNose
Some rise, Somefall, Some climb

Loc: The Dirty South...
Re: so, exactly how much is one person supposed to take? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1490766 - 04/24/03 08:50 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

That sucks man. But i agree, all this good karma will come back around your way. Vent all you want, we're here to listen. You seem like you have great character, be proud of that! Hopefully things will get better in the future  :grin:

--------------------
***--- Have You Opened Your Third eye?! ---***
      :::disclaimer:::this stuff was done in my dreams

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: so, exactly how much is one person supposed to take? [Re: BlowMiNose]
    #1491098 - 04/24/03 10:47 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Its those tricky little coincidences, like you coming home when you really didnt need to, and saving someones life, that make me wonder if there really IS a God....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: so, exactly how much is one person supposed to take? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #1491122 - 04/24/03 10:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry about your dad.Maybe this will be a wake up call for him.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Anonymous #1

#1492406 - 04/25/03 10:44 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: so, exactly how much is one person supposed to take? [Re: ]
    #1492672 - 04/25/03 12:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

A large role in the minimization of my depression was learning to have fun through the bad times, which may sound like a paradox, but its possible to an extent

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (04/25/03 12:19 PM)

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #1504607 - 04/29/03 03:36 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Remember, What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Sounds like you have had some tuff breaks but you sound like you handle things very well. Life is a bitch man there is no doubt about it.

Hope things work out better for you in the future...Im sure they will just hang in there.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being