Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sissy's Cooter, Alabama
AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY?
    #14902180 - 08/10/11 04:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

OK, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but iv'e been wondering why my BRF/Verm substrate is soo clumpy when I make it...And I haven't been able to figure it out, so I'm just wondering if I'm supposed to bring the mix to field capacity...? I've checked RR's tek, and he says use 1 cup of water,2 cups verm, and 1 cup BRF, and I've seen another tek that says use 3 cups verm, 1 cup water, and 1 cup BRF..Both call for 1 cup of water..But when I put 1 Cup...It's still not moist to field capacity...So I add more water until I can squeeze the sub and get about a 2 second stream to drip from it, and then stop...But when I bring it up to field capacity, it gets clumpy, like wet sand...BUT when I mix it with just 1 cup....it's kinda moist, but still very airy and fluffy...The more I think about it now...it seems like that's how it should be...But I kept thinkin Field capacity cuz RR said it, but now that I think about it, I don't think RR said anything about field capacity with the PF tek...So was I supposed to bring it to field capacity? Or was it supposed to be kinda dry and airy from the 1 cup of water? And will it cause my jars to mess up now that they've all been made like that? Do I have to dump them out and start over? I haven't inoculated them yet...I am on friday...so am I good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledtowntoker
gimme a spliff
Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #14902206 - 08/10/11 04:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Dude, that button next to the 'L' key and yourself need to get acquainted.  2:1:1 ratio when its all mixed squeezing as hard as you can should only drop a few drops of water

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #14902210 - 08/10/11 04:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

it's supposed to be dryish and airy. Feild capacity is what you do with a bulk substrate, when you spawn it with colonized grain. Use the 1:1:2 ratio, and here's the secret....add the water to the verm., and THEN add the brf:wink:

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: SomeGuy]
    #14902314 - 08/10/11 04:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well I already made the jars with  a little extra water, so they're just gonna be a little moist I guess. But are they gonna be ok to use? or do I need to just dump em all out and remake the jars?? That's my question.

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: dtowntoker]
    #14902326 - 08/10/11 04:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dtowntoker said:
Dude, that button next to the 'L' key and yourself need to get acquainted.  2:1:1 ratio when its all mixed squeezing as hard as you can should only drop a few drops of water

That was a horrible diss...Very weak....But thanks for the help!!

Invisibledtowntoker
gimme a spliff
    #14902349 - 08/10/11 04:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It wasn't supposed to be a diss.  You rarely will get help when you type a wall of text.  It hurts the eyes to read and gets long and confusing fast.

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

#14902374 - 08/10/11 04:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.FunGuy said:
Well I already made the jars with  a little extra water, so they're just gonna be a little moist I guess. But are they gonna be ok to use? or do I need to just dump em all out and remake the jars?? That's my question.

did you already pc them? I would dump it back in a bowl, mix it up, and then jar it back up. The verm. that is now your filter layer will be enough to dry it up a little. Put a fresh filter layer of verm on top:rolleyes:

Invisibledtowntoker
gimme a spliff
Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: SomeGuy]
    #14902391 - 08/10/11 05:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Jars that are a little too dry >>>>>>>>> jars that are any amount of too moist.

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: dtowntoker]
    #14902403 - 08/10/11 05:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dtowntoker said:

:awesomenod:

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

#14902727 - 08/10/11 06:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

paducahovoids said:
Quote:

Mr.FunGuy said:

did you already pc them? I would dump it back in a bowl, mix it up, and then jar it back up. The verm. that is now your filter layer will be enough to dry it up a little. Put a fresh filter layer of verm on top:rolleyes:

yes..PC'd are ready for inoculation...I really dont wanna waste what little bit of verm and BRF I got if I really dont have to, But I REALLY REALLY dont wan't all my cakes to fail and waste all my spores,time,and money...the substrate I made was only wet enough to put out a few drips of water when I squeezed it as hard as I could...Maybe 4 or 5 drops would come out...Is that really too moist? I did 6 jars the same way a week ago, and they've been sittin around since and have no contams as of yet...So..That should mean they're good...Right?

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

#14902734 - 08/10/11 06:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dtowntoker said:

HUH? WTF does that mean?

Offlineluckee8989
Stranger
    #14902797 - 08/10/11 06:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

-_________________-

it means overly moist jars are much worse than jars that are too dry.

Invisibledtowntoker
gimme a spliff
    #14902803 - 08/10/11 06:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It means that a slightly dry jar is way better than a slightly overly wet jar.  Your sub doesn't sound that wet though it should be fine I guess.  2:1:1 ratio is perfect though, no need to deviate.

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
    #14902837 - 08/10/11 06:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Just follow the tek, in RR's videos he SAYS a 2:1:1 ratio and he definitly knows what he is doing. Why would you try to change it? Too much water can cause contams to grow and/or stalling ofthe jars.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #14904096 - 08/10/11 10:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_monk said:
Just follow the tek, in RR's videos he SAYS a 2:1:1 ratio and he definitly knows what he is doing. Why would you try to change it? Too much water can cause contams to grow and/or stalling ofthe jars.

I didn't intend to change it at all...it was the opposite...I was just confused cuz I remember RR saying to bring all my mixtures to field capacity...But I guess you dont have to have yor PF substate to field capacity...I guess its supposed to be a bit dryer than field capacity...So I guess I'm gonna dump all the jars back into a bowl, and re mix em with the dry verm thats on the top, and make the substrate a bit dryer, then PC the jars again...I'd much rather do that then to fuck up my results...As long as I can save the substrate I've already made. Thats what I was worried about...But thanks guys...

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

#14904102 - 08/10/11 10:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Too dry is better than too wet. If its too dry it will actually colonize faster, but im not recommending to make it dryer, just a heads up.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

#14904120 - 08/10/11 10:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I just dumped out 3 of the jars, and the substrate is like playdough...No shit...Exactly the same consistancy and feeling...I crumbled it up as much as I could, and then sifted it in a wire strainer I have. After sifting it, it looks fluffy and airy, but if I take it and squeeze a handful, it turns back into playdough....Should I just remake the substrate? or just re-jar it, and PC it again? If I squeeze it now, NO water will come out at all, and I think its cuz the BRF has absorbed it and thats why It feels like dough...It's a good thing I opened these jars and did this, cuz I think the myc. would have had a hell of a time colonoizing, if it did at all...But Here's my issue...Im making 12 8oz jars...whats the perfect mixture? 6 cups verm, 2 cups BRF, and 2 cups water? or what?

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: AM i SUPPOSED TO BRING MY PF CAKE SUBSTRATE TO FIELD CAPACITY? [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #14904127 - 08/10/11 10:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_monk said:

RR's 2:1:1 ratio only makes 4 of my 8oz jars worth of sub...In the video he uses "fat boys" not "tall boys" like I have..even tho 8oz's is 8oz's...would it make a difference? I'm not filling them to the top...Im leaving a 1/2" for dry verm, and still only 4 jars worth of sub...?

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

#14904140 - 08/10/11 10:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That is the ratio not the measurements. So for 12 half pint jars you would use 6 cups verm 3 cups water 3 cups brf... a 2:1:1 ratio.

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

#14904446 - 08/11/11 12:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

OK I just mixed up my last and final batch of substrate..I put 6 cups verm, 3 cups water and 3 cups BRF...Now..the mix is slightly moist, maybe 35% to 45%..and no matter how hard I squeeze it, NO water will drip...BUT it looks sandy and airy...not clumpy at all...is this the right consistency? or should there be a drip or 2 of water dripping out when I squeeze really hard? im out of BRF now, so I gotta make this one count...I just threw my last substrate out just cuz the BRF had absorbed all the water...SO what should I do before I go any further?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale