Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleArizona_Scone
Stranger

Grey-ish green contamination
    #14888478 - 08/08/11 01:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi! I attempted my first grow and ran into some problems. I bought a B+ syringe from Ralphsters and inoculated some jars. I followed the directions in the "Let's Grow Mushrooms" videos.

The first three jars I did ended up with too much water in them, and I was pretty sure that I screwed up the sterilization procedure. I thought this because I got this weird grey-ish-green contaminant growing. I sterilized and threw those out, and I made five new jars and was much more careful with them. I took time to make sure the moisture content of the substrate seemed right on, and I was very careful with the sterilization procedures (90 minutes in the canning pot, glove box, alcohol sterilize and flame syringe between each inoculation, gloves, all of that). I inoculated these jars on August 2nd and, just like the other three jars, had something growing in them within three days.

Unfortunately, the exact same contaminant is growing in every jar again. I've not even seen healthy looking mycelium in any jar (This stuff is growing exactly where I inoculated the jars in place of the mycelium!). This is all I'm getting. Here are some pictures from today:

Sorry if the pictures are a bit hard to read. I don't have the greatest camera and it was difficult to get a good shot. (The pinkish coloring in one of those pictures isn't in the jar. My hand was reflecting on the glass I think. Also, all that moisture in there has appeared while the contaminant has been growing. It wasn't like that after inoculation.)

I have another syringe of a different strain that I've ordered from Ralphsters. I'm going to dump these jars tomorrow and try a few new jars of the other strain. If the new ones grow without problem, should I assume that the syringe itself had infected spores? What should I do if that's the case? (And if it's not, any idea what's going on here?)

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepoetic
Student.

Re: Grey-ish green contamination [Re: Arizona_Scone]
    #14891778 - 08/08/11 05:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This just happened to me on the bottom of one of my rye berry jars. :/ It's a tiny spot, but I guess it is what it is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale