Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineirolltrss
rollerblader,ethnobotanist
i.d please! i dont know what these are can you tell?
    #1487099 - 04/23/03 07:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

can you tell what kinda of mushroom this is i have no clue and i want to find out because ther growing in the moist wood chips behind my house. here are some pics.

i did a spore print on a paper towl but it wasnt clear when i took a pic. can you tell what they are , i found them on april 22,2003 in southern CA. they were behind a plant in my garden once again they were growing on moist wood chips,the stem is thin and is light brown as is the cap , the gills are a darker brown , are these worth eating,edible or should i toss them?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: i.d please! i dont know what these are can you tell? [Re: irolltrss]
    #1487140 - 04/23/03 08:11 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Trash them.

They're definitely not psychoactive and look suspiciously galerina-ish. If so, the spores will be a rusty orange-brown color.

DH

Offlineirolltrss
rollerblader,ethnobotanist
    #1487162 - 04/23/03 08:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

thanks , how can you tell if they a re phsycoactive or not , yea the spore print was orangish .im jsut begining mushroom hunting do u know of any places that might have them like near a lake,feilds or anything like that.?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1487344 - 04/23/03 09:49 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

toss them

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #1487519 - 04/23/03 11:05 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

possible suspects include

Galerina mutabilis
Galerina veneata
conocybe falaris
Galerina autumnalis

one is edible (Galerina mutabilis) which your mushrooms happen to most strongly resemble (in my oppinion), the rest deadly, definately not worth the chance. throw away

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: i.d please! i dont know what these are can you tell? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1487569 - 04/23/03 11:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i agree throw them out not worth the risk

what you want to look for is pann subbs they will be in found in horse stables in the compost pile of horse manure and straw. from what ive heard so cal doesnt have many actives. maybe only pann subbs. anyways read the hunting faq here there are pics and a good descript of pannealous subbalteatus good luck hunting peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
Re: i.d please! i dont know what these are can you tell? [Re: blaze2]
    #1487627 - 04/23/03 11:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

california ha psilocybe stuntzii, subfimetaria, cyanacens, pelliculosa, semilancaeta in the north, as well as several panaeolus varieties. basically all the pacific northwest mushies can be found there, tho later in the fall the farther south you go. probably very poor chances of finding anything n S cal.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: i.d please! i dont know what these are can you tell? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1487852 - 04/24/03 01:15 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I see you've already gotten plenty of good advice. I'll just mention that rusty brown spore prints are something you want to avoid very strongly. They are an indication of mushrooms which are often very difficult to identify to species accurately and include several deadly mushrooms.

The psychoactive species which somewhat resemble the ones you found will have purplish brown or black spore prints. You also will want to watch for blue staining. Those aren't enough to identify accurately, but they are a couple things that will help get you in that direction more quickly.

For edibles, you'll probably do best to focus on a few species that are easy to identify at first. The best way to learn the edibles is to find a local mycological society and hang out with them a bit. Most of those people focus on edibles only, and they can give you lots of first hand tips on how to find and identify edible species.

In general, decide on what you'd like to find, then study about them. Find out the key characteristics for identification, and what habitats and seasons they grow in. Then go out and look. It's also a good idea to learn the deadly mushrooms that you might find so that you can be sure you're not potentially eating one of them. There aren't that many, and it helps if you know that the worst that's likely to happen if you make a mistake is spend all night puking and having diarrhea instead of wondering if you need a liver transplant.

Good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification