Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

Slow colonization.
    #1487017 - 04/23/03 07:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It's been about 10 days since inoculation.

Default methods, BRF, etc.

The syringes were from a good vendor, albeit about 8 months old.

My pet fishes sister used a incubator, and it's been flucuating a bit between 74 and 84. Average of about 78^ I'd say.

The fish has grown before, and it was way faster. Out of about 18 jars, the fish noticed some VAGUE mycelium on about 4-5 of them. They seem to be progressing, just at a VERY slow rate.

Also in some of the jars, the mycelium is very dark, and nearly black, and looks almost like a syrup. Maybe signs of contams?

Basically, is it unreasonable for it to take this long with this old of spores? Anything to speed it up?

Thanks.

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, it's fun until you realize you are only screwing yourself.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Slow colonization. [Re: u4ia]
    #1487029 - 04/23/03 07:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Anything to speed it up?

Keep the temperature at a constant 85F.

Quote:

the mycelium is very dark, and nearly black, and looks almost like a syrup.

Any color other than white is not good. Isolate those jars.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinesummitstealth
D-dog

Loc: EastCoast, USA
Re: Slow colonization. [Re: dog]
    #1487642 - 04/23/03 11:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Just like "dog" said keep the temps steady, 82F-86F is a good range to work on. Reason there so slow is because you have the temps jumping back and forth 70's through the 80's, It's really not helping any hope that helps

peace, dustin

--------------------
Sporeworks
Ralphster44's Spores
MicronFilter Disc
Hawkseye

OfflineBangvan
Sir
Loc: Westcoast
Re: Slow colonization. [Re: summitstealth]
    #1488099 - 04/24/03 02:48 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

just be patient, my BRF jars took like a month and a half to colonize, but theyre fruiting now and it worked in the end

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
Re: Slow colonization. [Re: Bangvan]
    #1488145 - 04/24/03 03:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Buy yourself a fully waterproof/submersible fish tank heater and two rubbermade containers.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7961 <---this

And if you have any other color besides bright white growing in a jar toss it.

--------------------

buisness is kickin yo butt

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

Re: Slow colonization. [Re: jtseaweed]
    #1488617 - 04/24/03 09:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Check mark next to incubator.

Check mark next to heater (Tetra model for 30-60 gallon tanks).

It's cranked to the max, and yet I can only get about 78^ average from my setup. The top rubbermaid is sitting on 6 half pints, with about an inch of water over top. Should I just say hell with it, and take the half pints out? It's barely moving the water when putting the top container in.

These spores are B+, and GT.

The fish used to use regular PF spores, no incubator, and they colonized much quicker than this at probably less temperature. This is the first time the fish used anything other than the PF-Tek spores.

Based on what the general consensus is, these should be 50% or so done by now. Would the age of the syringes (8months) have anything to do with it?

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, it's fun until you realize you are only screwing yourself.

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1488709 - 04/24/03 10:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Anything to speed it up?

Keep the temperature at a constant 85F.

Quote:

the mycelium is very dark, and nearly black, and looks almost like a syrup.

Any color other than white is not good. Isolate those jars.

I'd keep it around 80-82 if you can help it. Just because it's 85 inside of the terrarium doesn't mean it's 85 inside the jars. Mycelium produces heat.

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: Slow colonization. [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1488783 - 04/24/03 11:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I'd keep it around 80-82 if you can help it. Just because it's 85 inside of the terrarium doesn't mean it's 85 inside the jars. Mycelium produces heat.

It's been well documented that the ideal incubation temperature for cubies is 86F. Are you suggesting that a 1/2 pint or pint jar of mycelium is capable of producing 4 degrees or more of heat?  :grin: 

I'd be very interested in seeing some evidence. 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineBangvan
Sir
Loc: Westcoast
    #1488812 - 04/24/03 11:14 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The syringe being 8 months old might be it, but it depends on how they were stored. If they were stored in a dark cool enviornment than theyre probably good. Just be patient and be prepared to wait another month perhaps. I grew B+ also and they took about 6 weeks to finish colonizing. I know that doesn't sound right and I probably did something wrong, but theyre now fruiting and thats what counts.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Re: Slow colonization. [Re: Bangvan]
    #1489554 - 04/24/03 03:07 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Bob is also having slow colonization, a few jars are growing like mad. He is growing two strains at one time though and one likes a hotter temp and the other a little bit cooler. He is growing EQ and PR, the EQ is going fast in some jars but slow in others. Bob is also going totally PF Tek.

Bob has one jar that is isolated and has two places where there are small patches of black but as Bob has been watching them closely the black hasn't grown but the white is growing somewhat at a medium pace. Bob is not sure if it is contam or if it is my vermiculite it's the only jar that has that look but the black isn't growing at all. It doesn't look like any contams Bob has ever seen, so Bob is thinking it is a few pieces of vermiculite pushed up against the side of the jar in an odd way.

It will be on full month since Bob started them in the jars tomorrow and only two are close to full colonization. Bob wouldn't worry too much about your jars since his didn't begin to colonize until about the 7th day and some even took longer eventually they'll get there. Next time around Bob is going to totally use an incubator.

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1489560 - 04/24/03 03:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

It's been well documented that the ideal incubation temperature for cubies is 86F. Are you suggesting that a 1/2 pint or pint jar of mycelium is capable of producing 4 degrees or more of heat?  :grin: 

I'd be very interested in seeing some evidence.   

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

The inoculated jars develop fastest if they are stored at a temperature of 27?C (80?F)

(According to Stamets the best incubation temperature for P. cubensis would be 86?F, but since the jars themselves are a few degrees warmer than the surroundings (mycelium emits heat when growing) 80?F is a good and safe incubator temperature)

Taken from the PF-Tek for simple minds..... I'm not saying you are wrong dog because i have little experince in growing, however i've seen this in the tek, as well as in posts here on the forums... if it's not true then there is some false information going around... anyone know more on this? 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Edited by pillsbury420 (04/24/03 09:17 PM)

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1490850 - 04/24/03 09:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

bump?

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Invisibledog
straw dog

#1491351 - 04/25/03 12:18 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Taken from the PF-Tek for simple minds

My friend is familiar with the tek and quote that you gave. In a large colonizing substrate the production of that much heat seems logical, but not in a 1/2 pint jar.

One day soon my friend will place a thermometer inside a colonizing PF jar and let it incubate with another thermometer standing next to it. Until he does this, or hears from another who has performed a similar test, he remains a skeptic.  :smirk:

He's not claiming that it does not happen, just that so far he has seen no empirical proof of it. For the time being his incubator remains at a toasty 85F.  :smile:       

--------------------

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
    #1491363 - 04/25/03 12:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

How many watts is the heater? It should be at least 200w.

--------------------

buisness is kickin yo butt

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

Re: Slow colonization. [Re: jtseaweed]
    #1492237 - 04/25/03 09:26 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It's 200w.

Definately not doing it's job though.

I'll post back hopefully this evening with some pictures.

--------------------

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

#1523419 - 05/06/03 12:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a fuckstick. I had a dual temp gauge, reading In/Out. I would assume "In" would mean where the probe is, and "Out" would be where the display is. Wrong. Although @ first testing, temps were very similar. Ended up, I've had the incubator @ 90^. No real bad signs, just some bad smells. Real bad compared to what I'm used to. Haven't quite figured that out yet. First time using incubator.

It's still slow, and I have some contams. Only about 6/18 jars show signs. So I think my bad heating, and old spores have had something to do with it. Next batch starts this weekend. Have a pressure cooker and learned a bit this last time.

I'm trying to take these out as long as possible, but will probably end up throwing the whole batch away. Only lost a few weeks, but got alot of knowledge.

It just sucks as my cat used to do the basic PF Tek, no incubator, no real contam reducing procedures, and had the best luck. They would have put most of these cakes on the site to shame. Yet another reason why getting old sucks.

Thanks.

--------------------

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

#1523445 - 05/06/03 01:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

O ya, it's been a good 3..almost 4 weeks since innoculation.

--------------------

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

#1524090 - 05/06/03 11:11 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ttt.

--------------------

OfflineWapo
journeyman
    #1524714 - 05/06/03 04:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What paul was talking about was a large scale production where the jars/trays are stacked on shelves nearly on top of each other. I actually emailed a mycologists with this question he said he wouldnt worry about heat unless you have a hundred gallon jars in a small space.

OfflineWapo
journeyman
Re: Slow colonization. [Re: Wapo]
    #1524735 - 05/06/03 04:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh yeah and 8 month old syringes have alot of dead spores already ive used older ones on petris and they germinate in about 2 weeks and never grew more then an inch in curcumfrence. With prints i always get the germination like clockwork at the end of the 3rd day i see grayish radial spots. With older prints it takes 12 to 24 hours more. I wouldnt use syringes try growing petries and inoculate your cakes with that.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation