Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant.
    #1485440 - 04/23/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

SYDNEY (AFP) - The Pentagon (news - web sites) has produced detailed plans to bomb North Korea (news - web sites)'s nuclear plant at Yongbyon if the Stalinist state goes ahead with reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel rods, an Australian report said.

Citing "well-informed sources close to US thinking", The Australian newspaper said the plan also included a US strike against North Korean heavy artillery in the hills above the border with South Korea (news - web sites).

The artillery directly threatens Seoul as well as US troops stationed south of the Demilitarised Zone.

The Pentagon hardliners said to be behind the plan reportedly believe the precision strikes envisaged in it would not lead to North Korea initiating a general war it would be certain to lose.

This is because Washington would inform Pyongyang that the bombing was not aimed at destroying the regime of Kim Jong-il, but merely at destroying its nuclear weapons capacity.

The Australian report coincides with reports from Washington of an alternative US plan which envisages the United States teaming up with China to press for the removal of North Korea's leadership.

The second plan, contained in a classified memo reportedly circulated by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, argues that Washington's goal should be the collapse of Kim Jong-il's regime.

President George W. Bush (news - web sites)'s US Adminstration has repeatedly said it believed the standoff would be resolved through diplomacy.

The reports come as confusion prevails over the ambiguous statements issued by Pyongyang last week about whether it has begun reprocessing 8,000 spent fuel rods or merely completed preparations to do so.

Western analysts, including those in Washington and in South Korea believe North Korea's initial announcement was a mistranslation and doubt there had been any such reprocessing.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Tuesday that Canberra also believed Pyongyang's statement claiming it had begun reprocessing the fuel rods had been mistranslated.

Reprocessing the 8,000 fuel rods, which would yield enough plutonium for six nuclear warheads within six months, would be the most provocative step taken by North Korea since the nuclear crisis erupted six months ago.

Downer told ABC radio on Tuesday that the Pentagon undoubtedly had "contingency plans for all sorts of things they could do in North Korea, militarily.

"That's the military's job, to draw up contingency plans, but the American administration strategy, as the President explained to me three weeks ago, is to ensure that there is a successful diplomatic solution here," he added.

"We are just on the threshhold of entering into the first round of talks. I don't know how they will go, but in any case we are starting to make a little bit of progess on the diplomatic front and there isn't about to be a bombing campaign."

North Korea, the United States and China are set to sit down in Beijing this week for the first direct high-level talks since the nuclear standoff erupted in October. The talks will open Wednesday and are scheduled to run until Friday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=1512&ncid=1512&e=30&u=/afp/20030422/wl_afp/nkorea_us_australia_030422065641

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant. [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1485564 - 04/23/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

We're so fucked.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant. [Re: Learyfan]
    #1485577 - 04/23/03 09:26 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I don't know how reliable the Austrailian source is...but if it is true, we could be completely fucked. I hope and pray that our leaders aren't this retarded though.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1485589 - 04/23/03 09:32 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Why would we tell Australia of our "secret" intensions? I'm not saying it's wrong and i do oppose this action but it sounds a little fishy.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant. [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1485599 - 04/23/03 09:42 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yah, that was kinda my response...after reading that it came from an Aussie news source I was somewhat skeptical of the article.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1485621 - 04/23/03 09:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Why would we tell Australia of our "secret" intensions? I'm not saying it's wrong and i do oppose this action but it sounds a little fishy. 

Watch Inny change from being against this action to completely for it as his brain is rewashed by the US media! Should be amusing..... :grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant. [Re: GazzBut]
    #1485761 - 04/23/03 10:46 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Watch Inny change from being against this action to completely for it as his brain is rewashed by the US media! Should be amusing.....

do you enjoy being ignorant or do you have to work at it? I've been pretty consistant. I think Korea should be dealt with but NOT by us. Russia, China, S. Korea and Japan should lead the way. The only way WE should get involved is if N. Korea strikes at Japan or S. Korea.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblewingnutx

#1485780 - 04/23/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

We (and every other military power) have plans drawn up to address every eventuality, from bombing Pyonyang to invading Scottland. Intention is an entirely different subject.

I'm extremely skeptical about this one. There's no way to attack North korea that would not result in Seoul being wiped from the map, with millions of people being killed.

What a shitty place for the S Koreans to have their capital. They should have moved it 50 years ago.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant. [Re: wingnutx]
    #1485790 - 04/23/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i honestly don't believe it will come to a full scale battle. N' Korea's dictator is doing nothing more than beating his chest and is upset that the United States just Yawned.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblewingnutx

#1485818 - 04/23/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think it will come to a real fight. China is now leaning on them heavily, cutting off their oil fromt he north. NK does this sort of thing periodically, and they were dismayed that we didn't just roll over like we did a decade ago.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1485880 - 04/23/03 11:28 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i bet you a million dollars that the world will scream for us to intervene if it gets ugly. Then the minute we go in (if we do) the world will be pissed. I say fuck em. (the issue of N. Korea that is)

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblewingnutx

#1485884 - 04/23/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

All that burning kimchee is really going to stink.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1485901 - 04/23/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

hmmmmmmmm. Kimchee....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblewingnutx

#1485906 - 04/23/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I have a cat named Kimchee.

I also have a bottle of it in the fridge, but my gf won't be in the same room with it.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1486754 - 04/23/03 04:03 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The only thing surprising about this thread is that some of you are surprised to see we have these plans. (assuming we do)

It's the job of those in the Pentagon to plan for every and any potential military action.

We more than likely have plans made up to handle the British, Canadians, French, Japanese, and all the rest.

If we didn't have plans, I'd think our military was falling down on the job. That doesn't mean we'll ever use any of those plans.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1486852 - 04/23/03 04:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

That doesn't mean we'll ever use any of those plans

Except for Canada :grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1486930 - 04/23/03 05:07 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

So if Iraq took a few weeks, Canada should last about 4 - 5 hours.

Except Quebec, they'll surrender about 2 weeks before we invade. Fookin French!  :smirk:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1487523 - 04/23/03 09:05 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Our first mission would be to protect the vital Seal beating camps and Igloo manufacturers so the Canoodians don't suffer. :grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1487871 - 04/23/03 11:23 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So if Iraq took a few weeks, Canada should last about 4 - 5 hours.

Except Quebec, they'll surrender about 2 weeks before we invade. Fookin French!  :smirk: 

Never happen - We would just invite the troops in for some Canadian beer and they would be too drunk to fight!
Quebec you can have - They aren't real Canadians anyway... they don't say "eh?" at the end of their sentances ... :smile:

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: US draws up plan to bomb North Korea's nuclear plant. [Re: Shdwstr]
    #1488288 - 04/24/03 02:05 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I fart blue are you also RadioActive Slug?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder