Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
A fault of science
    #1486332 - 04/23/03 03:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"It is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain." - a quote from Dracula novel

I thought this was an excellent quote, both on the prejudice of science and its lacking in explanation of the human condition (things like emotions, consciousness, all that is considered tertiary, or not as important as the physical).  Now don't get me wrong, science has done many great things for us, but if it wasn't for technologists, people who use science for practical purposes, then science would be like any other crazy theory of the universe. I mean c'mon, tiny little atoms whizzing around at near light speeds that make up the very chair you are sitting on! Blasphemy!  :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: A fault of science [Re: chodamunky]
    #1486546 - 04/23/03 04:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Without science, those technologists would have nothing to base their ideas on  :smirk:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: A fault of science [Re: trendal]
    #1486806 - 04/23/03 06:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

One can argue that without science, modern technologists wouldn't exist. I also want to add that science has become some sort of exclusive membership club. There are only a handful of scientists in the world who can grapple with quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and the likes, because the average Joe scientist wanna be, will never get to witness a particle accelerator in action, yet alone understand how it works. Further still, to understand the basic structure of matter, one has to have years of mathematical study under their belts to fully understand and analyze these formulas that "govern our existence". Basically what I'm trying to get at, is that science is made out to be this religion, that all other experiences and knowledge is compared to, and if science can't explain it, then like the original quote states, "there is nothing to explain", or that it's not worth explaining. We need an understanding of the universe that is tangible to every human being on this earth, not the rhetoric of a few elite that tell us what our existence is, how it came to be, and how it will end.

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1486840 - 04/23/03 06:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

the average Joe scientist wanna be, will never get to witness a particle accelerator in action, yet alone understand how it works.

You don't need to see an actual particle accelerator to understand how they work or what the data from them means. You need the required backgrounds in pysics  :smirk:

And if you can't grasp the background you need to understand the principles behind particle accelerators...how do you expect to understand a modern day cyclotron?

We need an understanding of the universe that is tangible to every human being on this earth, not the rhetoric of a few elite that tell us what our existence is, how it came to be, and how it will end.

What if there is no such simple understanding? What if, the truth is, the "average" human being just isn't intelligent enough to grasp many of the more advaced ideas in science.

There was a time, I'm sure, when the "average" human couldn't grasp the idea that space is empty. At one time they thought it consisted of a fluid called the Ether (heh heh).

I agree that science is, in a sense, made out to be some kind of "religion". This is not a fault of science, though, this is a fault of man. It seems common to make something we don't understand seem mystical in some way. The idea comes to mind (although I don't believe this, maybe the average joe does?) "if i can't understand it...maybe it can't be understood".

So I think your quote is actually an example of a flaw of man in general, not specifically science.

And anyway, I don't know many self-respecting scientists who would make that quote in the first place  :smirk:

Most of us would say "if we don't understand it...how can we?" 

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: A fault of science [Re: trendal]
    #1486895 - 04/23/03 06:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What if there is no such simple understanding? What if, the truth is, the "average" human being just isn't intelligent enough to grasp many of the more advaced ideas in science.
If we assume that is the truth, then why the hell is my tax money being used to build new 40 billion dollar particle accelerators?

There was a time, I'm sure, when the "average" human couldn't grasp the idea that space is empty. At one time they thought it consisted of a fluid called the Ether (heh heh).
LOL yea, that one still gives me a chuckle.

And anyway, I don't know many self-respecting scientists who would make that quote in the first place
In the novel, the scientist is called Van Helsing, and he's one of the most renowed scientists of the time. He is not only trained in the modern day sciences of the West, but is well versed in the old Eastern practises as well. He chose not to ignore the "human side" of science, which is the point I'm trying to argue.

OfflineXOCHI
journeyman
 User Gallery

#1494346 - 04/25/03 10:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow you all are smart.What exactly is a particle accelerator?There is a book i think you guys would like called "The end of science" I forgot the name of the author.It was a good book.I had to read it 2 times to really understand it.

Edited by XOCHI (04/25/03 10:34 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology