Home | Community | Message Board

MycologyNow.com Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

Loc: 3 Seconds Ago. Flag
Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion"
    #14861503 - 08/02/11 02:38 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Throughout the old testament, the kings of Israel seemed to always be confronted with the possibility of an uprising and rebellion.

I have found many instances in the old testament where rebellion from the working class was occupying the minds of those who recorded history. 

I have found that once again, the bible mentions that the kings/government of Israel is chosen and overseen by god.

It makes perfect sense - instead of stopping a group physically from stealing what you have stolen from them(which is the type of relations that the wealthy have with the poor) just tell them that they will suffer a fate worse than poverty and endless labor in the afterlife and they govern themselves!!!

Kings 12 : 1-16

1 Rehoboam went to Shechem, for all Israel had come to Shechem to make him king.  2 And when Jeroboam the son of Nebat heard of it (for he was still in Egypt, whither he had fled from King Solomon), then Jeroboam returned from Egypt. 3 And they sent and called him; and Jeroboam and all the assembly of Israel came and said to Rehoboam, 4 "Your father made our yoke heavy. Now therefore lighten the hard service of your father and his heavy yoke upon us, and we will serve you."  5 He said to them, "Depart for three days, then come again to me." So the people went away. 6 Then King Rehoboam took counsel with the old men, who had stood before Solomon his father while he was yet alive, saying, "How do you advise me to answer this people?"  7 And they said to him, "If you will be a servant to this people today and serve them, and speak good words to them when you answer them, then they will be your servants for ever."

12 So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam the third day, as the king said, "Come to me again the third day."  13 And the king answered the people harshly, and forsaking the counsel which the old men had given him, 14 he spoke to them according to the counsel of the young men, saying, "My father made your yoke heavy, but I will add to your yoke; my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions." 

So the Israelites went home. 17 But as for the Israelites who were living in the towns of Judah, Rehoboam still ruled over them.

18 King Rehoboam sent out Adoniram, who was in charge of forced labor, but all Israel stoned him to death. King Rehoboam, however, managed to get into his chariot and escape to Jerusalem. 19 So Israel has been in rebellion against the house of David to this day.

Sirach 10
1 A wise ruler will educate his people, and his government will be orderly.2 All the officials and all the citizens will be like their ruler.3 An uneducated king will ruin his people, but a government will grow strong if its rulers are wise.4 The Lord sees to the government of the world and brings the right person to power at the right time.5 The success of that person is in the Lord's hands. The Lord is the source of the honor given to any official.

--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: AlphaFalfa]
    #14861683 - 08/02/11 03:09 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

The Lord sees to the government of the world and brings the right person to power at the right time.

:lol: Proof positive that God is an ass hole.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: Icelander]
    #14861733 - 08/02/11 03:19 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
The Lord sees to the government of the world and brings the right person to power at the right time.

:rofl2:

Why didn't I catch that one.

:facepalm:

As much as I hate the government, jeez, I think I am losing my mojo.

Groovey baby, yeah!

--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: AlphaFalfa]
    #14865896 - 08/03/11 07:31 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

How did the rich steal their money from the poor?

--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: 4896744]
    #14865938 - 08/03/11 07:52 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

They waited behind a big rock and when the poor came by they jumped out and said "boo" and the poor  got so scared that the rich could just take all their money.

How do I know? The bible tells me so.

Well... maybe not.

The poor are poor mostly because they are dumb and afraid imo.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: Icelander]
    #14865959 - 08/03/11 08:02 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I think it is a lack of intelligence, a lack of drive, or more often than not, some combination of both.

--------------------

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

Loc: Being a burden
    #14866040 - 08/03/11 08:42 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

:lol:

--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: 4896744]
    #14867126 - 08/03/11 02:53 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iThink said:

I am not justifying the poor's actions over the rich.

Simply rectifying a likely description about the origins on spirituality/religion.

Personally, the poor are only poor because of the ancient aliens. They had enormous power over all humans and they gave that power to a specific group. In nature, no species has groups that naturally dominates another as much as the rich is dominated by the poor.

Look at all the great apes; any feuds between tribes in any given species never wields absolute power over the other and not only that, but when they have a slight advantage they don't keep their dominance for very long.

I do buy into the ancient aliens theory, for all the evidence.

It's a neat theory as well.

--------------------

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

#14867155 - 08/03/11 03:02 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Fuck dude, you think it's because of fucking aliens, really?

--------------------

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

#14867523 - 08/03/11 04:30 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iThink said:
Fuck dude, you think it's because of fucking aliens, really?

That the rich came to such power?

Yes, I do.

There is also some good evidence for it, when you look at our closest relatives.

--------------------

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

#14867552 - 08/03/11 04:38 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

:ahahaha: I'm sure it has everything to do with aliens and nothing to do with people profiting from a free market system.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #14867564 - 08/03/11 04:40 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iThink said:

Quote:

Rousseau said:
The first man, who after enclosing a piece of ground, took it into his head to say, "This is mine" and found people simple enough to believe him, was the true founder of Civil Society. How many crimes, how many wars, how many misfortunes and horrors would that man have saved the human species, who pulling up the stakes or filling up the ditches, should have cried to his fellow! Be sure not to listen to the imposter; you are lost if you forget that the fruits of the earth belong equitably to us all, and the earth itself to nobody."

--------------------

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: Silversoul] * 1
    #14867582 - 08/03/11 04:44 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

That is bullshit. Our pre-human ancestors have been territorial for a long ass time. Bears are territorial, cats are territorial, dogs are, etc.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#14867585 - 08/03/11 04:45 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iThink said:
That is bullshit. Our pre-human ancestors have been territorial for a long ass time. Bears are territorial, cats are territorial, dogs are, etc.

Territorial against other tribes.  Not against people within their own group.

--------------------

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: Silversoul]
    #14867597 - 08/03/11 04:47 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

A tribe can range in size and some animals are solitary yet still territorial.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: Silversoul]
    #14867606 - 08/03/11 04:49 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

iThink said:

You are just cherry picking a distinction between 'tribes' and 'group' so substantiate your claim.  I dont think so.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: DieCommie]
    #14867630 - 08/03/11 04:54 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

iThink said:

You are just cherry picking a distinction between 'tribes' and 'group' so substantiate your claim.  I dont think so.

And where's your degree in Anthropology?  Want me to show you mine?  Private property does not exist among hunter-gatherers.  And even in early agricultural societies, land was owned by the community.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#14867641 - 08/03/11 04:56 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

And where's your degree in Anthropology?  Want me to show you mine?

No, I have no respect for an Anthropology degree.  I dont care what lame degree you got, pre-civilization people were territorial, as well as just about every animal on the planet.  Your sentence on private property is irrelevant.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Furthering the claim that "The bible was written to control political rebellion" [Re: DieCommie]
    #14867648 - 08/03/11 04:58 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

You seems unable to distinguish between territory and property, and your accusations of cherry-picking make no sense.  Private property is exactly what is at stake here, not territory.

--------------------

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

#14867865 - 08/03/11 05:43 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iThink said:
:ahahaha: I'm sure it has everything to do with aliens and nothing to do with people profiting from a free market system.

Were talking about the origin's of the hierarchical relationship between the poor and the rich.

Not something occurring in our present era.

The bible was written thousands of years ago, so why did you think I was commenting on what is going on now.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds