Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Burger ban urged for children
    #1486104 - 04/23/03 02:44 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3450926&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

Burger ban urged for children

By AINSLEY THOMSON
Health officials have suggested that it be made illegal to sell junk food to children.

They want a ban written into a new health law to meet concerns about child obesity.

A minimum legal age for being able to eat such food is one of a number of ideas floated in a Ministry of Health discussion document that aims to restrict children's access to food considered unhealthy.

Other possibilities include restrictions on the number, size and location of outlets selling certain types of food.

One group wants soft drinks, pies, sweets and chocolate included in the controlled category.

Submissions on the discussion paper have now closed, and any proposals the Government adopts are likely to be included in the Public Health Bill which will replace the 1956 Health Act.

A study in Auckland two years ago found that one in seven primary school age children was obese.

Experts say the figure will now be higher.

The Herald has examined the child obesity problem this week in a three-part series.

The ministry's discussion document called for submissions on how food should be advertised and marketed to children, and on how awareness of healthy food options can be improved.

More than 400 submissions were received including those from Fight the Obesity Epidemic, a diabetes and obesity prevention group.

Spokeswoman Robyn Toomath, a consultant endocrinologist at Wellington Hospital and president of the Society for the Study of Diabetes, said the group believed regulation and legislation was urgently needed.

"We have to stop the kids from gaining weight. We have to take a deep breath and say what are the significant factors influencing our children in this epidemic."

Her group's main aims were to stop advertising directed at children and stop schools selling junk food.

The group also wants controls on the quality of food sold within 1km of a school.

"What the heck are we doing selling soft drinks, fruit drinks, chips and pies, sweets and chocolates in schools?" said Dr Toomath.

"These are the foods that are contributing to obesity because they are calorie dense and nutrient poor.

"Its about time we started getting serious about it and stopped promoting them to children in schools.

"We want to regulate the school environment so these things are not able to be sold in schools any more than we would be able to sell alcohol or cigarettes.

"These things are not far-fetched.

"In the long term, they are what will be required."

Restaurant Brands, the company that operates KFC, Pizza Hut and Starbucks in New Zealand, is fighting the proposals.

Chief executive Jim Collier said obesity was a lifestyle disease and needed to be addressed as such.

"We don't think restricting access will address the issue that it is a lifestyle disease."

The company hired public law consultants Chen Palmer and Partners to help prepare submissions on the discussion paper.

Director of Public Health Colin Tukuitonga said the ministry's ideas were put forward for discussion and might not be passed into law.

"But what's important is that these ideas are openly discussed and debated, so everyone including interest groups and the public has the opportunity to provide comments and responses," he said.

The discussion document prompted the Advertising Standards Authority to hold a symposium on obesity.

Executive director Glen Wiggs said the authority did not believe there was a link between advertising of food and obesity.

The symposium was boycotted by health groups, such as the Cancer Society, the Heart Foundation, and Diabetes NZ because they believed it was being used to lobby the Government against imposing regulations on fast-food advertising.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: motaman]
    #1486357 - 04/23/03 03:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

When you gotta put bans on foods to keep our kids from turning to walking piglets, u know that shit ain't good for you.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: chodamunky]
    #1487648 - 04/23/03 11:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

When you have to put junk food into a controlled category, you know we are running out of self responsibility. I agree that advertising shouldn't be aimed at kids, but this is just getting ridiculous. Soon we'll need ID to buy junk food? Shit, no one is forcing these people to buy junk food. If you don't want your kids to be fat, then you have to bring them up on a good diet.

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: Sheepish]
    #1488100 - 04/24/03 02:48 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Putting bans on food for children is silly and stupid. How are you gonna tell a fat kid what he cant eat? These Health officials and all officials are all about controlling shit and telling you what you cant do.

--------------------

buisness is kickin yo butt

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
    #1488168 - 04/24/03 03:14 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

if they want to ban it for children they should ban it outright. God knows how nasty the stuff really is for you, and if it's not good enough for little timmy, than it's not good enough for me! :wink: 

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: thestringphish]
    #1489201 - 04/24/03 01:47 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Like the fat bitch suing McDonalds 'cause she ate like, 20 QP's a day. Fucking Slob. She claims she "Didnt know fat and grease were unhealthy". I have no sympathy....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #1491168 - 04/24/03 11:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

No sympathy from me at all either.

--------------------

buisness is kickin yo butt

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1492185 - 04/25/03 08:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

[They want a ban written into a new health law to meet concerns about child obesity.   

Why don't we write a bed time into the laws for children as well.  Oh, and lets write in what time they have to take naps, when they can cross the street on their own without holding a parents hand, and lets make sure they aren't eating paste by making that illegal as well!  Hell, lets just ban being obese for anybody all-together.  :smile:  No more fat people!  Its the law!

Just another case of our rights being taken away.  If they really wanted to solve the problem, they would make television, computer and video games illegal during daylight, and require parents to be parents.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1492187 - 04/25/03 08:55 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Like the fat bitch suing McDonalds 'cause she ate like, 20 QP's a day. Fucking Slob. She claims she "Didnt know fat and grease were unhealthy". I have no sympathy....

The last I heard on this, the court had no sympathy either and tossed out the case. Funny that it was the same group of slugs, I mean lawyers, that sued the tabacco companies (and won) that brought this suit forward. You cannot tell me anything that will lead me to believe that those jerks care about anymore other than the money they get from winning.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: Seuss]
    #1492267 - 04/25/03 09:45 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Now, I can understand the tobacco lawsuit. For years and years the tobacco industry has fought tooth and nail that tobacco wasnt addictive or harmful. That is a bold-faced lie and they KNEW it. I dont hear McDonalds saying "Eat Our French Fries, Guaranteed to Lower Blood Pressure". But yes, all lawyers are scum and should be shot. Except mine of course, who is a wonderful person.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Anonymous

#1494351 - 04/25/03 10:35 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

you think they will stop at fatty foods? they think they know whats best for us. they will continue to regulate until there is nothing left. i call for a revolution now.

OfflineRicktastic
Wub a lub a dub dub!

#23375259 - 06/23/16 11:07 PM (5 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
"Didnt know fat and grease were unhealthy".  I have no sympathy.... 

Fat and grease aren't unhealthy. Carbs and sugars are. It's not the meat or the way it is cooked that is not good for you, it is the carbs and sugars that are put with it that make it unhealthy.

Offlinedurian_2008
cornucopian eating an elephant
 User Gallery

Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: Ricktastic]
    #23375640 - 06/24/16 01:34 AM (5 months, 8 days ago)

This is demoralization, and you cannot be active on low calorie food, without wasting.

InvisibleAmanita86
Sacrificial Lamb

Loc: hades
Re: Burger ban urged for children [Re: durian_2008]
    #23376272 - 06/24/16 08:41 AM (5 months, 8 days ago)

Daily I lose faith in humans.  Think about this though, it's "a certain class of citizen".  I think that's pc enough to avoid a ban.

Perhaps food shouldnt be made illegal, certain lifestyles should.  Again, the issue is just a symptom of the main problem nobody is willing to address. 

As long as were getting votes, right?

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:

Offlinedurian_2008
cornucopian eating an elephant
 User Gallery

#23377004 - 06/24/16 12:37 PM (5 months, 7 days ago)

Don't make me pay for it, out of my wallet, don't make me praise or accommodate you, in any way, and I don't care what is your food or choice of lifestyle.

If you should become repellent, physically, grow into your own chair, and have feelings of entitlement, you will still not be a drain upon society, or make anyone feel bad, who does not want to deal with you.

:thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service