Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon Hemp, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinewingnutx
A system for turning just about anything into oil
    #1485830 - 04/23/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Taking Turkey's oil

Evolving posted this over on the sci/tech board, and it deserves to be seen by more people. It does have some serious political implications.

A bunch of chemists on another board I frequent have been giving this a lot of attention, and it looks damn promising.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewingnutx
Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: wingnutx]
    #1485857 - 04/23/03 01:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

But first things first. Today, here at the plant at Philadelphia's Naval Business Center, the experimental feedstock is turkey processing-plant waste: feathers, bones, skin, blood, fat, guts. A forklift dumps 1,400 pounds of the nasty stuff into the machine's first stage, a 350-horsepower grinder that masticates it into gray brown slurry. From there it flows into a series of tanks and pipes, which hum and hiss as they heat, digest, and break down the mixture. Two hours later, a white-jacketed technician turns a spigot. Out pours a honey-colored fluid, steaming a bit in the cold warehouse as it fills a glass beaker.
It really is a lovely oil.
"The longest carbon chains are C-18 or so," says Appel, admiring the liquid. "That's a very light oil. It is essentially the same as a mix of half fuel oil, half gasoline."

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1486919 - 04/23/03 07:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Pardon me, says a reporter, shivering in the frigid dawn, but that sounds too good to be true.
"Everybody says that," says Appel. He is a tall, affable entrepreneur who has assembled a team of scientists, former government leaders, and deep-pocketed investors to develop and sell what he calls the thermal depolymerization process, or TDP. The process is designed to handle almost any waste product imaginable, including turkey offal, tires, plastic bottles, harbor-dredged muck, old computers, municipal garbage, cornstalks, paper-pulp effluent, infectious medical waste, oil-refinery residues, even biological weapons such as anthrax spores. According to Appel, waste goes in one end and comes out the other as three products, all valuable and environmentally benign: high-quality oil, clean-burning gas, and purified minerals that can be used as fuels, fertilizers, or specialty chemicals for manufacturing.

Why not? Everything has basic elements, if we can just break things down to its elements than even the most dangerous stuff on earth are harmless.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: GabbaDj]
    #1486921 - 04/23/03 07:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38 pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123 pounds of sterilized water

This is how I want to go.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

OfflineTheCaptain
addict

Loc: Canada
    #1487047 - 04/23/03 07:35 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

LOL!

"Mobil Soylent is made out of people.......!!!"

--------------------
"I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are."

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
    #1487103 - 04/23/03 07:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, I really cant decide how I feel about this. Now if we could only find a way to use it to where it doesnt pollute....

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: Buddha5254]
    #1487370 - 04/23/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

How does it pollute now?

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1487528 - 04/23/03 11:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Did you read the whole article? I will repeat some thoughts I expressed in the Science & Technology Forum...

A point that the article makes apparent is that widespread adoption of this technology and abandonment of fossil fuels could eliminate the need for any control on CO2 emissions as we would actually be recycling the CO2. Additionally, this technology could greatly reduce problems of waste disposal as it can use many forms of waste as raw materials.

As far as the oil produced by the process, by controlling the raw materials used it should also be easier to produce low sulfer oil which in turn will help to reduce emissions of sulfur compounds. Incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons and the production of NOx would remain problems that should continue to be addressed. Perhaps advancements in fuel cell technology will address these issues better than currently used technologies.

This is not a panacea, but a very big step in the right direction. There is always room for improvement.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1488513 - 04/24/03 08:06 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks wingnutx!

This is the coolest thing i've ever read.

This could revolutionize our planet. I've been e-mailing it to people.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #1488788 - 04/24/03 11:04 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I can only imagine the benefit to taxpayers if that technology is able to be widely implemented.

New York produces 100's of millions of tonnes of waster each year. If that waste could be turned into fuel then the taxpayers should benefit by lower taxes created by the sale of the fuel.

(I know, lower taxes is wishful thinking... once a tax in implemented it's pretty much permanent)

If the technology is truly what they say it is their IPO should be hot  :wink: 

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: grib]
    #1488933 - 04/24/03 12:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

damn Leary as big of a tree hugger as you are I figured you were the one doing the interview in this article. just kiddin. you are kind of a hippy though. this is freakin cool though, think about it waste almost being a thing of the past. no more condoms filling up the landfills this could in reality change the world. It will be like the Delorean in back to the future where the car runs on trash. The good- cheap oil and saving landfills. The bad- less dependance on foriegn oil meaning the middle east will like us even less. man and to think we wasted all that $ bombing the shit outta Iraq for their oil, what a waste. i was kiddin bout that too.

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: Evolving]
    #1489024 - 04/24/03 12:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

So the Co2 is recylced? I m a little confused, if you use this oil to make gasoline for a car, do you need new components put in whatever uses the oil or gas to recycle the Co2?

OfflineOOOO
Stranger
    #1489026 - 04/24/03 12:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What would happen if you put hemp seed in it?

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1489130 - 04/24/03 01:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

So the Co2 is recylced? I m a little confused, if you use this oil to make gasoline for a car, do you need new components put in whatever uses the oil or gas to recycle the Co2?

Perhaps recycled isn't the proper term but I'm at a loss for a better one. Currently, by using fossil fuels we are increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. However, if we were to use renewable resources such as vegetation and animal waste there will be no net gain of CO2 in the atmosphere. Plants take in CO2 H2O and sunlight to create more complex molecules, plants are either used directly and/or the waste products of their digestion are used as raw materials for this system. The resulting oil is burned producing CO2 and water vapor (assuming complete combustion - higher temperature combustion will produce NOx as well). These (CO2 & H2O) will in turn be used by various life forms on the planet.

** edit ** The main point is that worries about increased atmospheric CO2 causing global warming could become a relic of the past, merely a point for academic debate instead of a conflict between economic realities and unproven scientific theory.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (04/24/03 01:40 PM)

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
    #1489141 - 04/24/03 01:27 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Probably not sure its kinda confusing but its still cool as a mofo. Maybe this is how the matrix start with the recycling of bodies human and animal. Is this a privately held company because my ass is buying a shitload of their stock if its a publically traded company? Think about it people pay them to dump their junk in those vats then the end product is the most highly traded commodity? It would be like getting in on the ground floor on Microshaft uh soft shares. YIPPPPIIEEE my ass would be sitting in Belize by the time Im 40. Kick ass!

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: Meat_Log_Smurf]
    #1489158 - 04/24/03 01:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

It will be like the Delorean in
back to the future where the car runs on trash.

Exactly what I was thinking bra.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: Learyfan]
    #1489311 - 04/24/03 02:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

As much as this is a cool idea, who thinks that the OPEC nations and traditional oil companies (Bush himself could have a lot to lose here) are going to just roll over and accept this?
A diesel engine (for example) will run on purified vegetable oil amongst other things, and it was originally designed to run on alternative fuels like that anyway, but it was decided for economic reasons that petroleum should be used instead. Considering that the Iraqi oilfields are now being 'liberated', there's another steady supply of the black stuff. I can imagine that a lot of the people involved in big business would love to see this die.

I'd love to see this work, but it may have a lot of opposition.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Anonymous

#1489545 - 04/24/03 03:05 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

except for spent radioactive materials- plutonium and such

i heard about this a while ago, it's a very impressive application of technology that already existed..

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: ]
    #1489594 - 04/24/03 03:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

it's a very impressive application of technology that already existed..

That would explain the patents.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: A system for turning just about anything into oil [Re: Edame]
    #1489622 - 04/24/03 03:31 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It seems like there would be a lot of opposition to this as well, but on the other hand, the article says that the government gave them 12 million dollars.

Why would they do that?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon Hemp, Herb Grinder

General Interest >> Political Discussion