Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Loc: 805 Saint Cloud Road Mars
im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it?
    #14851609 - 07/31/11 01:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

so after much research ive come to realize absinthe may not be much more then high ABV,,but im sure the herbs used add a distinctive fx.

a few benzos(dont do it unless a tolerance has developed) and a glass or 2 of absinthe seems like  a perfect way to spend a rather boring night..and maybe experience some of the magic its suppose to bring, and reg alcohol is boring me,

but im much more interested just making a kratom.blue lotus. skull cap wine to relax with.

im sure it would mix well with alot to add effects but at the alcohol content.id say its a NO on mixing. but kratom and blue lotus come to mind to add fx.

( so is absinthe anything special in your guys.gals opinion))

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecircusink
Stranger

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: nowwhoutthink]
    #14851637 - 07/31/11 01:24 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

absinthe has its own high by itself it is great, just research and order a good one.

--------------------
we cant stop here this is bat country

OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Loc: usa Flag
Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: nowwhoutthink]
    #14851671 - 07/31/11 01:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Theres a kit called green devil, it has some nice stuff for cheap. instead of soaking herb pouch in suggested 2ltr alcohol quantity soak it in one liter of the hard stuff. use your spoon and suger cube with ice cold war over your drink and enjoy. I think absinth is somewhat uniiqe,  it a really clear alchol buzz imo and placebo mindfuck can hook you up as well.

--------------------

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: Grungeman17]
    #14851733 - 07/31/11 01:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i assume there is something to absinthe that i couldnt get else where. a 100 bottle for new years doesnt seem crazy, id assume cannabis and absinthe would be enjoyable.

and something about the history of it all attracts me even more.

Id look for one with high abv and high thujone.

i planned ordering it a few months ago, but needed to make sure its worth it.:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: Grungeman17]
    #14851752 - 07/31/11 01:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I love it. I have tried a few bands.
Quote:

Grungeman17 said:
Theres a kit called green devil, it has some nice stuff for cheap. instead of soaking herb pouch in suggested 2ltr alcohol quantity soak it in one liter of the hard stuff. use your spoon and suger cube with ice cold war over your drink and enjoy. I think absinth is somewhat uniiqe,  it a really clear alchol buzz imo and placebo mindfuck can hook you up as well.

That's not absinthe

If your in the US the best your going to find is Lucid.

Despite what some people say, it really is not that bad of an absinthe. It scored a 75 out of 100 and is considered a decent place to start if you don't want to go to the trouble of buying it overseas. Sure it's not the best out there, but it is real absinthe.

http://www.feeverte.net/guide/country/france/lucid_absinthe_superieure/

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: Kada]
    #14851761 - 07/31/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i want authentic as possible..with a bottle close to old recipes.

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
    #14851786 - 07/31/11 01:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Check out the website in my last post. It will give you a list of every Absinthe in the book and the brands are rated by absinthe aficionados.

It has a section that does a good job of explaining more about absinthe.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineHajnal
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New Eden
Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: Kada]
    #14851879 - 07/31/11 02:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There's a wormwood plant growing on the botanical gardens about 5min from where I live.. I really need to learn how to cleanly take a bit of what I want and find a way to ingest it properly and see what its like.

--------------------
Hajnal ['hɒjnɒl] - An elegant mixture of blood and circuitry; sorrow and love fill your systems, like the stars and black holes encompass the ∞.

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: Hajnal]
    #14851885 - 07/31/11 02:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

make it.

--------------------

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #14851896 - 07/31/11 02:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hajnal said:
There's a wormwood plant growing on the botanical gardens about 5min from where I live.. I really need to learn how to cleanly take a bit of what I want and find a way to ingest it properly and see what its like.

Just take a small cutting from one of the tops of new growth and grow your own plant.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

OfflineRipVanWinkle
The Benzodiazethang
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Near Memphrica, TN Flag
    #14851940 - 07/31/11 02:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hajnal said:

I don't think you're going to be able to discreetly harvest enough to feel it.

@RP: A friend of mine had some in Europe and said that it was just like a mildly stimulating alcoholic buzz... And that it wasn't anything to write home about.  Is that true of all absinthe?

I tried making a brew by soaking chopped up and dried wormwood in vodka, and it just got me drunk just like regular old vodka except it tasted disgusting... But I'm sure I didn't do it right, that was years ago though, like when I was 17 maybe? So I don't really remember exactly how I tried to make it...

--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: RipVanWinkle]
    #15000485 - 08/30/11 06:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

to update the thread. i have 6 bottles of varieties and tastes, color, thujone levels, etc...

all very nice absinthe. will be about a week till i see them though.

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#15000510 - 08/30/11 06:24 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nowwhoutthink said:
to update the thread. i have 6 bottles of varieties and tastes, color, thujone levels, etc...

all very nice absinthe. will be about a week till i see them though.

Once you are able to get into them report back and let us know what you think of em' :wink: ....

:stoner:

--------------------

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: openmind]
    #15124998 - 09/23/11 09:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

had the chance to try 7 diff absinthe bottles. ranging from 68% alcy volume to 72%. all with max amount of thujone, well above the tiny bit you get at most bars or shops. They were the og style from back in the day from what i was told and read about for them. They were regarded as very good connoisseur absinthe or "absintheurs" choice. taste just about exactly as black  licorice does.wormwood and coriander in front with anise and fennel in the aftertaste on my fav. most are spicy and evergreen also comes to mind. some were bluish .some more green... some were sweeter and some more minty like. the effects were odd. the alcohol hits first then the more you drink you get a little energy surge almost..and most def had the urge to listen to music or play guitar. mind was clear..body was warm like most drunkenness brings.

not a lot diff than lets say bourbon or a strong liqueur except the slight ( very slight) delic feel that it brought to music and colors, and the extra urge to draw, play music, dance, or just blast some very loud music.

out of the 7 only maybe 2-3 times i actually did it the classic way with sugar cube and water. they all louche. and like said earlier. some sweeter and some more peppery with a lemony thing going on a bit. the sweeter ones were quite nice. not really worth the shipping costs and hassle of HAVING to have it..but i suggest everyone atleast once try a goodbottle of absinthe. almost every bottle was a diff color..some clear blue, some emerald green, some dark green/blue.

ill save the rest of the bottle i have for xmas and share with friends. taste is like a mix of jager and mouth wash...sounds gross, but really not too bad. a sipper for sure. did do some shots (stupid) and its STRONG. so modsdef a relax by a fire and sip type of drink with lights out and good music that sucks you in. turn the tv off and enjoy your surroundings. def diff than reg liqueur but for sure not mind blowing psychedelic fx..just a slight shift in body feel and mind will be very full of thoughts.

so to end this long review hah....id say..try it if you can ..atleast once. I have a order for one more for the winter and since i found out a few good absinthe's are around my area, ill be able to get some if I decide to try again. the bottles i had were from the Czech, france, Germany,Spain,and Switzerland. not really overrated..but not what everyone says it is. but ill say it is a diff buzz and experience.

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#15125889 - 09/24/11 01:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the review man :thumbup: . Can I ask you what bottles you tried or which one was your favorite, as far as what brand/distiller?

I've been wanting to give absinthe a dabble, I enjoy trying new things what ever it may be. Though when the time comes I do want it to be fine quality and preferably the old style like you described, not the watered down modern stuff that most people try unless they actually seek out the real thing.

I heard from a few people that seem to really exaggerate how different the buzz is, I more or less :rolleyes: and pass it off as they were probably drunker than usual from the high alcohol content of absinthe. The few people I have talked to that have tried the real thing do say there is a subtle difference in the character of the buzz, and that's pretty much what I would expect. I'm usually rather sensitive to herbs and drugs in general and I'm aware of the slightest changes in my perception. I can feel a difference in the buzz from Jager compared to other types of alcohol (which has 20+ herbs), and even a difference in the buzz from really hoppy beers such as IPAs in comparison to your average lager. So I'm sure absinthe's unique, yet mild, buzz will stand out to me....

:stoned:

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: openmind]
    #15126112 - 09/24/11 04:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

you should make it like this then report back

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #15126169 - 09/24/11 05:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i made it just like that just about...but after running out of sugar cubes, I just drank the stuff straight ha..

I must say though, dont waste it like that(straight). the whole authentic way of preparing and ingesting is quite delightful and makes absinthe all that more enjoyable and almost feels like you are goin back in time.

I had a set of absinthe glasses and spoon with sugar cubes..hah so basically i did just that you see in the vid.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #15126185 - 09/24/11 05:24 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

with the drops at the end?:smilingpuppy:

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #15126190 - 09/24/11 05:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Years ago I got really interested in Absinthe.  I read up on it on several websites, read all the reviews, figured out which one I wanted, and then being 18 I tried to figure out how to buy it and have it shipped overseas without my parents finding out.
Never happened  and I kind forgot about it.
But the more I read about it, the more I realized it's pretty much just a strong liquor with a history that doesn't precede itself.
Then a friend of mine gave me a bottle of it for free out of nowhere, I didn't even ask for it.  Once I drank it, I knew the truth:  It's pretty much just a strong liquor with a history that doesn't precede itself.  There is no green fairy, there is no trip.  Absinthe is not psychedelic at all.  There is a bit of difference to the drunken feeling, similar to how you might find wine or tequila different than say, vodka.  But to call it anywhere near psychedelic reclassifies and cheapens the definition of the word.
I wouldn't recommend Absinthe to anyone since Ouzo can be easily and cheaply found at most every liquor store.  It offers the same flavor and creamy texture, and it will also louche if you add water.  And if anyone's still interested in Absinthe, Ouzo is a great way to find out whether you would even like Absinthe at all; it's a pretty strong and definite flavor and not for everyone.  Could save a lot of money considering overseas shipping costs...

Edited by abltsandwich (09/24/11 05:51 AM)

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

#15126192 - 09/24/11 05:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

there is a few ways to prepare absinthe.

this is how i did it

--------------------

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #15126228 - 09/24/11 06:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
with the drops at the end?:smilingpuppy:

:bigjoint:
Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Years ago I got really interested in Absinthe.  I read up on it on several websites, read all the reviews, figured out which one I wanted, and then being 18 I tried to figure out how to buy it and have it shipped overseas without my parents finding out.
Never happened  and I kind forgot about it.
But the more I read about it, the more I realized it's pretty much just a strong liquor with a history that doesn't precede itself.
Then a friend of mine gave me a bottle of it for free out of nowhere, I didn't even ask for it.  Once I drank it, I knew the truth:  It's pretty much just a strong liquor with a history that doesn't precede itself.  There is no green fairy, there is no trip.  Absinthe is not psychedelic at all.  There is a bit of difference to the drunken feeling, similar to how you might find wine or tequila different than say, vodka.  But to call it anywhere near psychedelic reclassifies and cheapens the definition of the word.
I wouldn't recommend Absinthe to anyone since Ouzo can be easily and cheaply found at most every liquor store.  It offers the same flavor and creamy texture, and it will also louche if you add water.  And if anyone's still interested in Absinthe, Ouzo is a great way to find out whether you would even like Absinthe at all; it's a pretty strong and definite flavor and not for everyone.  Could save a lot of money considering overseas shipping costs...

ill post a few pics of some of the bottles i got left if i can find them, but i agree. its nothing mind shattering, but imo it is def a diff buzz. much more appreciated the sound of music and once i starting playing guitar i had a good mind flow going unlike the complete boring mind buzz of booze. tbh its more the ritual and preparing it that i enjoyed. nothing that it is said to be..they say most of the fx we hear about from the old artist was most absinthe had a lot of dye and chemicals in it to make it green which led to most of the crazy fx on the people. but after trying 7 diff varieties i def got a different feel. very subtle but noticeable. like i noted earlier, i had a surge of energy and greater appreciation for music.

--------------------

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #15126244 - 09/24/11 06:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nowwhoutthink said:
tbh its more the ritual and preparing it that i enjoyed.

THIS is what Absinthe is all about.  There's a level of excitement and anticipation with watching the water very, very slowly, drip-by-drip, melt the sugar cube through the spoon into the goblet of Absinthe, turning it a milky-green color that can't be had by drinking anything else.  It feels exclusive, unique, elegant, and timeless.  I love that about Absinthe.  I guess my last post came off as a little haterish, my bad.  I like viscous liquors with the taste of licorice (Ouzo, absinthe, and Jager); in fact Ouzo is my favorite drink.  Absinthe in itself isn't a bad drink, but I was just ragging on its reputation of having psychedelic properties ("green fairy").

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: im gonna order absinthe,,fug it,,,,,,,or should i make it? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15126353 - 09/24/11 07:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yea i understand. i saw a movie just a few days ago where they were seeing colors and flying fairies ....they really do make it out to be like its some sort of acid in a bottle...

but as you say and i say..it is a very special ritual and relaxing experiance. i am a bourbon drinker...so i like my strong drinks and absinthe really wasnt as harsh as most say, but people need to stop thinking its some sort of trip in a bottle..

just prepare it right and relax and know that it has a long history with many famous artist and such..which makes it a nice treat that most will not get to try. but i can say..with out a doubt. very good absinthe vs shit absinthe does have a buzz unlike most spirits. but like said earlier,,its very subtle and needs to be enjoyed with good company and friends. atleast for me , it made the whole experance more exciting being able to share with friends.

i wouldnt really call it a novelty drink...but it is pretty cool bringing out a bottle for friends and seeing them get excited.

i make a blue lotus wine steeped with a little bit of other herbs like passion flower and wild lettuce,coca leaves..if you can get them and prefer that tbh if i want a mild mind alternating  drink// but im just getting off topic

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck