Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Anonymous #1

How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely?
    #14841577 - 07/28/11 11:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've been drinking 20+ units a day, usually 25ish, sometimes more like 30, for the last 5 years.
I feel like giving my (extremely resilient) liver a rest for a while, and tapering down my consumption is not working, as I'm just not doing it.
Seems like a good idea, but after a few drinks, a few more drinks doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
You get the picture.
Am I likely to do myself harm stopping a habit of this level just like that?
I am aware alcohol withdrawal is actually one of the few withdrawals that can actually kill you, so am I gunna dies, or just feel a bit shitty for a couple of days?
I know no-one can give me a definitive answer, but maybe some can share experiences?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #14841753 - 07/29/11 12:05 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well when i stopped drinking cold turkey after getting drunk everyday for a couple months the withdrawls were sheer hell for me (although i already have an anxiety dissorder).

Fucking waves of panic, no sleep, muscle tremors.....whet to the hospital crying begging for a benzo to help me out of the shittiness of it all, but even that didnt do much.

Not a fun ride, i suggest weening yourself off or get a script for benzos, youll need them  :whoa:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (07/29/11 12:05 AM)

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: Almond Flour]
    #14841772 - 07/29/11 12:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

have you tried quitting before? Felt effects? Alcohol withdrawals can be dangerous if not deadly becareful if you feel you have a real problem I would suggest getting professional help to make things easier and raise the chance of success! good luck my friend!

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: snoot]
    #14842192 - 07/29/11 02:21 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Talk to a doctor about it. I know that you're feeling the only way to take yourself seriously is to just "man up" and do it, but your body is deprived of vitamins and nutrients and you can end up dying from withdrawals. Only benzos, opiates, and alcohol (I believe) will literally kill you if cold turkeyed. Getting help with it will help immensely.

Good luck and good job on this endeavor!

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Offlinewithoutawire
hi
 User Gallery

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: fngbronco]
    #14842219 - 07/29/11 02:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It can be dangerous to stop drinking immediately if you have a hefty habit. If you do stop drinking cold turkey, and since you are not getting professional support your chance of staying away from alcohol are EXTREMELY low. People who leave rehab have a success rate of 3%-6% of staying sober for one year.

So, stopping to attempt on your end is virtually impossible unless you move to an island.

If you do stop after drinking heavily I HIGHLY suggest you bet valium, xanax, klonopin, or ativan and take a low dose 2-3 times a day for 3-4 days when you stop drinking to prevent any seizures. Don't take ANY more than that.

--------------------
:tigerbunny:

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
    #14842820 - 07/29/11 08:11 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
Talk to a doctor about it. I know that you're feeling the only way to take yourself seriously is to just "man up" and do it, but your body is deprived of vitamins and nutrients and you can end up dying from withdrawals. Only benzos, opiates, and alcohol (I believe) will literally kill you if cold turkeyed. Getting help with it will help immensely.

Good luck and good job on this endeavor!

ahh, alcohol withdrawals are the only ones I'm aware that can be deadly, i.e. the DT's. Opiatewithdrawal may be considered dangerous via the depression that ensues but I'm unaware of anything potentially deadly from those withdrawals.

Quote:

Delirium tremens (Latin for "shaking frenzy", also referred to as The DTs, "the horrors," "jazz hands," "giving the invisible man a handshake" or "the shakes.") is an acute episode of delirium that is usually caused by withdrawal from alcohol, first described in 1813.[1][2] Benzodiazepines are the treatment of choice for delirium tremens (DT).[3]

Withdrawal from sedative-hypnotics other than alcohol, such as benzodiazepines or barbiturates can also result in seizures, DT and death if not properly managed. Withdrawal from other drugs which are not sedative-hypnotics such as caffeine, cocaine, etc. does not have major medical complications, and is not life-threatening.[4] Withdrawal reactions as a result of physical dependence on alcohol is the most dangerous and can be fatal. It often creates a full blown effect which is physically evident through shivering, palpitations, sweating and in some cases, convulsions and death if not treated.[5]

When caused by alcohol, it occurs only in individuals with a history of alcoholism. Occurrence of a similar syndrome due to benzodiazepines does not require as long a period of consistent intake of such drugs. Benzodiazepines are relatively safe in overdose when taken alone; however, if the overdose includes the use of other sedative drugs, alcohol in particular, it could lead to dangerous side effects.[6]

In the U.S., about 50% to 60% of alcoholics will develop any significant withdrawal symptoms upon cessation of alcohol intake, and of these, only 5% of cases of acute ethanol withdrawal progress to DT.[1] Unlike the withdrawal syndrome associated with opiate dependence, DT (and alcohol withdrawal in general) can be fatal. Mortality was as high as 35% before the advent of intensive care and advanced pharmacotherapy; in the modern era of medicine, death rates range from 5-15%.[1]

Similar hyperirritability and hallucinosis can be caused by magnesium deficiency.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Edited by snoot (07/29/11 08:13 AM)

Offlinehappymealplease
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #14842854 - 07/29/11 08:34 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I know how you feel.  Cold turkey seems like the best idea, because like you said, if you try to ween and have just a couple drinks, it becomes easier to have a couple more.  And once you've done that, why not have a couple more?

I really think it's important to try and ween though.  If you really, really want to stop, I think you'll find a way to do it, though it'll be tough.  Maybe instead of having consecutive drinks, have one, and then try to hold off for a while.  I don't know your drinking pattern, but say if you had five or six drinks in an hour, try cutting it back to three.

You could also try cutting back on the amount of alcohol you keep in stock.  That way, even if you do break the rules you set for yourself, you'll run out quicker than expected, and hopefully even drunk you'd have the sense to not head out into the world to restock until you were feeling somewhat sober.

Do you have any friends who could help?  Maybe a buddy who doesn't drink much/at all and can help you with this by physically being there and isn't afraid to be firm with you.  Even if it's just for small chunks of time each week, say one hour.  Having an outside source who physically comes over and is there as a reminder to you can be a huge help, even if the initial feelings about it can be pretty nasty.

Quitting is tough though.  I know this from experience.  The important thing to note is that cold turkey is the hardest and most dangerous way to go about it.  You've recognized something here, and you want to quit.  That's the important part.  But change can't come instantly.  Weening yourself off will be hard, because once you start it's tempting to just keep going.  But as long as you keep at yourself to quit, and keep getting after yourself whenever you do fail yourself in this way, you'll eventually get wise to yourself and you will find the strength to pull yourself through it.

That is, at least, how it worked for me.  Good luck with this, and if nothing else, feel free to vent shit here.  That's part of the process too.

Edited by happymealplease (07/29/11 08:47 AM)

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#14842860 - 07/29/11 08:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

These DTs are amazing though lol. The opiate and benzodiazepine withdrawals are dangerous as the heavy users do not eat much due to the slowing down of the digestive tract. The malnourishment coupled with violent illness causes a lot of bad things. Most dangerous thing about the opiate and benzo quitters are the ones that go back and take an epic dose again, after being clean for a while, and just ODing.

OP you're probably not taking any supplemental B vitamins, but you will need those (prescription strength) as well as minerals and antidepressants. A word of warning, the benzos are highly addictive, don't replace one addiction with another. Booze and cigarettes, due to the nature of both drugs (addictiveness, health problems, etc.) would both be considered schedule 1 drugs in the US and would be considered as bad as heroin.

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

#14844961 - 07/29/11 05:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Real alcohol withdrawls are scary. Ive done this many times.

It starts out a little shaky. Then the sweats come on. Id say thats the worse. Your fucking sweating and your stomach and insides seem like they are about to give up and your going to die.

The only way this usually happens is if your not just drinking at nights. But have been drinking night and day constant for at least 3 days.
Drink a couple beers the day your decide to stop.
Just buy a couple beers and thats it. and half that the day after. It will make the third day alot easier.

good luck. When you get off. Try to stay off for awhile and see how you feel and think to yourself. THIS IS BETTER.

Anonymous #1

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: dshow]
    #14845618 - 07/29/11 07:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

t+24h from my last drink, feeling fine. actually, I just had a 0% alcohol beer, which made me a bit queasy.
why can't they make alcohol free beer that actually tastes nice?
I'll report back in another 24h, unless there is anything interesting to report, eg spiders, elephants etc.:tongue:

Anonymous #1

#14845645 - 07/29/11 07:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dshow said:The only way this usually happens is if your not just drinking at nights. But have been drinking night and day constant for at least 3 days.

yeah, I was thinking this. Although I do drink a shytload, I am actually sober most of the day. I never drink before 10pm, that's one of my rules, and I think this will result in any withdrawal being mild, if it even happens.:fingerscrossed:

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #14845857 - 07/29/11 08:24 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
Quote:

dshow said:The only way this usually happens is if your not just drinking at nights. But have been drinking night and day constant for at least 3 days.

yeah, I was thinking this. Although I do drink a shytload, I am actually sober most of the day. I never drink before 10pm, that's one of my rules, and I think this will result in any withdrawal being mild, if it even happens.:fingerscrossed:

In that case you done have to worry too much about quitting cold turkey main.

Its usually only when its drinking all day and night.

Invisibleyutaka

#14848708 - 07/30/11 01:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Be very careful quitting cold turkey.

Arythmia and other conditions are possible. I had a nurse friend with a patient who got sick. When he went to the hospital he wasn't drinking alcohol and he was a heavy drinker. He actually got worse when he stopped drinking cold turkey.

I would talk to your family doctor to formulate a plan to get off the sauce.

Anonymous #1

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: yutaka]
    #14850026 - 07/31/11 12:52 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

2 days+ now, nothing to report except shittons of crazy dreams when I slept last night.
need to watch I'm drinking enough fluids, as I've cut off the source of most of my dietary fluids by stopping drinking.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#14850044 - 07/31/11 01:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
2 days+ now, nothing to report except shittons of crazy dreams when I slept last night.
need to watch I'm drinking enough fluids, as I've cut off the source of most of my dietary fluids by stopping drinking.

Keep up with it!

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #14850155 - 07/31/11 02:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:

Hallucinations and or delusions may be something that hardcore consistent drinkers experience when coming off.
My father was one. He had to go to the hospital, it was so bad for him. He thought the nurses were plotting to kill him, so he held one hostage with a scalpel to her neck.

If you haven't lost your mind by now, you are most likely going to be just fine. Just make sure to stretch it out in the future if you plan on drinking anymore. I'm not one to suggest quitting, because I drink myself. I just give myself enough off days that it doesn't become a problem.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisibleowls
just let go!

Loc: dancing Flag
Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: eris]
    #14850189 - 07/31/11 02:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ironically enough, i'm just finishing my 2nd day off of alcohol as well. feel like shit, but it's to be expected. keep at it OP, we're doing great :tongue:

for what it may be worth, i'm taking bacopa, one of my favorite herbs. heavy doses really help a lot with anxiety. clinical studies claim it has shown to be as effective as lorazepam for treating anxiety, only with very positive benefits instead of the drawbacks you face with benzos. from my experience it's definitely no benzo, but like i said, heavy doses do indeed work wonders for my anxiety..

supposedly kava can be great too if you get the good stuff, i've yet to try that myself

--------------------
i love you

you are beautiful! :rockon:

COME TOGETHER, JOIN THE PARTY!!

"what beith a man if he doth not enjoy cannabis?" :mushroom2:

Anonymous #1

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: owls]
    #14852057 - 07/31/11 02:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys, I'm surprised at how easy I'm finding it, but this will blow your mind.
I haven't smoked either, since I stopped drinking, and I don't feel any desire to.:wowz:
Now if I can just give up reading, and the internet I will have successfully eliminated all pleasure from my life!:thumbup:

:boo:

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#14852080 - 07/31/11 03:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good for you man! Give it a month and you'll want to give it up, but that's just your body getting used to being "normal" again. Once you have control and enjoy being normal and healthy again, you're gonna enjoy it!

--------------------

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Anonymous #1

#14858841 - 08/01/11 09:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

4 days.
Not sure if it's related, but I've been incredibly flatulent lately.
TMI?:smirk:

Offlineparsleysprigs
Stranger

#14858861 - 08/01/11 10:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'd start to drop the amount you drink everyday, if you drink 20 drop it to like 16 beers a day.  Then eventually try to go from that to drinking every other day,  then from that go from drinking 16 every other day to 12 every other day.  If you stop right away you'll have panic attacks.  I had em once and they're freaky,  I couldn't breath and shit.  I didn't even know it was from alcohol.  I wasn't mentally dependent,  didn't want to drink so I stopped for awhile and then the with draw kicked in bad.  Couldn't breath at all.  Cut down dude.

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
    #14858888 - 08/01/11 10:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It really depends on you. I tried to quit drinking at about 20-30 units a day and may have had a few seizures, or at least it felt like a seizure describes, enough to fall to the ground but not be really shaking, (I think), or drooling, (I think). Quitting from multiple binges definitely made subsequent relapses and abstinence full of worsening withdrawal.

Taper, or at least leave the option open if you start to fear for your life. Alcohol withdrawal is no joke. Benzos always worked well for me, but that's just substituting if you're just gonna get hooked on those.

Best of luck, you probably will need it.

Quote:

Anecdotally, this isn't true. I've had withdrawals from drinking for 6-8 hrs a day, and still gone through terrible withdrawal after doing this at similar times every day for a week. Some binges leave a hangover so bad it's literally impossible to stomach ethanol, but a few hours later...:cheers:

I remember Ythan put up a thread reporting minor withdrawal after a half-year or so six drink a day habit. I've felt similar from similar amounts, but nothing close to panicky fear of death physical withdrawal or seizure/DT.

~Monk

Edited by numonkei (08/01/11 10:14 PM)

Anonymous #2

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: numonkei]
    #14859954 - 08/02/11 03:26 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Shit I've seen reports of 3-6 beer a day drinkers having withdrawals. If you have a seizure and remember things from it, it's normally a pseudo-seizure, and is related to psychological issues. Mental dependance isn't the tough part, it's the actual physical dependance that really hurts people when quitting.

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #14860400 - 08/02/11 07:26 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Anecdotally, this isn't true. I've had withdrawals from drinking for 6-8 hrs a day, and still gone through terrible withdrawal after doing this at similar times every day for a week. Some binges leave a hangover so bad it's literally impossible to stomach ethanol, but a few hours later...

I remember Ythan put up a thread reporting minor withdrawal after a half-year or so six drink a day habit. I've felt similar from similar amounts, but nothing close to panicky fear of death physical withdrawal or seizure/DT.

~Monk

I did say usually :rolleyes: Which is true.

Anonymous #1

#14865042 - 08/02/11 11:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

5 days.
I'm trying hard to not feel smug.
If I was getting terrible cravings for booze and stoically resisting them, and suffering the torturous consequences but not caving in, I'd have something to feel proud of, but really, this is pretty much painless, aside from bouts of gas and taking a bit longer to get to sleep at night.
A beer would go down nice right now, but meh, I don't need it, I'll have one some other time.
I imagine it's easier to stop doing something if you don't try and go "This is the last XYZ eveaaar, no more for me, nope never more."
As long as I know I can have a drink whenever I like (I have a bottle of vodka and a few cans of beer in storage) I don't get the "just one last beer" craving htant people who try to give up forever seem to have a hard time with.
That sounded smug, right?:smirk:

Anonymous #1

#14870389 - 08/04/11 01:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

1 more day and I might have a beer to celebrate.
or I might not.
probably better not to.

Anonymous #1

#14875194 - 08/05/11 01:27 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

1 week.
fuck me.
where to go from here...?

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #14881011 - 08/06/11 12:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Congrats man!  Keep it up.  That's awesome :smile:

Invisiblemushroomsoup
Male

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14881954 - 08/06/11 05:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well done on making it 1 week. You actually just raised an issue I was itching to address whilst reading your thread which was... once you quit... unless you have something in place for afterwards its very difficult to stay stopped!

I'm not 100% of your situation and AA and the like are most definitely not for everyone... but they may help you. There are also groups like rational recovery which I believe don't focus on a 'spiritual' aspect in recovery :smile:.

Also, may I suggest you consider talking to your doctor about a Liver function test? Drinking heavily can put a real strain on it as I'm sure you know, it may also help your peace of mind. You can ask your doctor for one without telling him how much you were drinking :smile:.

Also, check out some local addiction services in your area, they can help you get into rehab (this doesn't have to be an inpatient thing, it can be with you living at home etc), just look around and see whats best for you.

Maybe try your local AA as many people will have been where you are right now and will know about local services etc which can help you.

Well done on quitting, it'll be worth it in the long run!

Anonymous #1

Re: How bad an idea is it to suddedly stop drinking completely? [Re: mushroomsoup]
    #14908154 - 08/11/11 07:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

2 weeks.
boring.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains