Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

*Rant* Console (Wii) first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever.
    #14828981 - 07/26/11 08:08 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

So i just played a ghetto 3rd party quake2 port that actually got it right.

Why is it that no "official" companies can seen to get aiming with a motion sensitive controller right?

***LOCK THE RETICLE TO THE CENTER OF THE GODDAMNED SCREEN***

The system where you move the aiming reticle near the edge of the screen to turn is 5000 kinds of ratarded.

The "screen lag" throws off your aim while the screen is slowly turning. .

Avery single PC FPS and any other that was ever good locked the reticle to the center of the screen while your mouse / controller moves the entire screen exactly with your motions.

Whoever decided to let the reticle be able to move all around the screen was a moron.

Again, when the screen begins to move when you put your reticle near the egdge of the screen it;

A. throws off your aim

B. requires you to stop aiming to turn

C. makes you feel drunk.

D. makes movement control clumsy.

You know your aiming scheme sucks when you need iron sight auto aim /tracking to make it playable.

PC was where FPS was spawned.

There is a reason why this control scheme was never used in PC first person shooters.

Because it sucks.

Why is it that all of these console developers are so braindead?

Compare:

center-locked reticle

Drunk ass all over reticle, edge screen bullshit.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Edited by Shins (07/26/11 08:36 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHeadTripVertigo
at least I'm housebroken
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: Shins]
    #14829024 - 07/26/11 08:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

most games still do that.  so... your thread is...I don't know.  overzealous?

--------------------
TACOS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: HeadTripVertigo]
    #14829035 - 07/26/11 08:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Do what?

It's just a real shame because all of the motion control console games with the bad aiming scheme would have been 3x better with a proper one.

And it's REALLY simple.

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: Shins]
    #14829119 - 07/26/11 08:34 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I just looked at some playstation first person shooters, and they seem to have gotten it.

I guess I'm pretty much just complaining about Wii games then?

--------------------

OfflineEquipto

#14829528 - 07/26/11 09:52 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

+ = :awehigh:

The reticle stays in the center of the screen like a standard FPS while using the controller, its so clutch.

--------------------

OfflineSeniorCoolo
Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: Equipto]
    #14829954 - 07/26/11 11:06 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

A lot of the games I have for Wii have this as an option. If they don't, you can usually adjust the turn speed. Maybe try playing around with the view options? I happen to like a little bit of play with the reticule, it lets me shoot multiple enemies on the screen without the screen bouncing around a lot. So it's personal preference I guess. But I get what you're saying. I also know the pain of a video game not letting me customize the viewing options to my liking.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: SeniorCoolo]
    #14831515 - 07/27/11 07:45 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

the wii system has a great fps aiming system, regular controllers feel clumsy after the wiimote to me :shrug:

--------------------

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #14833128 - 07/27/11 03:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

All controllers would cry in a corner and piss their pants if one guy walked into the game with a high-resolution laser mouse.

Look mom! No auto aim!

So it's really just an argument from semantics of which not-so-optimal option is less-failure-y. That said you're right, I've been disappointed by the design of wii shooters also. Free-movement games should not have the same camera control scheme as a rail shooter, 'nuff said.

--------------------

wat man rly

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: blujay]
    #14833429 - 07/27/11 04:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blujay said:
All controllers would cry in a corner and piss their pants if one guy walked into the game with a high-resolution laser mouse.

Look mom! No auto aim!

So it's really just an argument from semantics of which not-so-optimal option is less-failure-y. That said you're right, I've been disappointed by the design of wii shooters also. Free-movement games should not have the same camera control scheme as a rail shooter, 'nuff said.

What dissapoints me the most was that this Ghetto Quake2 port that some kid probably made in his mom's basement could get the controls right.

When it is done right it is pretty much just as good as a lazer mouse and keyboard.

The controls and aiming are 3x more precise and intuitive. 

It's stupid to have seperate bindings for aiming and turning.

It makes things way more complicated and clumsy then it needs to be with way more buttons than necessary..

FPS's have known this since ancient times, why haven't wii developers clued into this?.

Here is a video of the quake 2 port i keep talking about...

The guy playing is a bit of a noob, but you can see that what i'm talking about is possible on the wii.

The A button is bound to "remote look" so that you can press and release it similar to when you lift a mouse and re-place it when you have reached your wrist's range of motion limits.

It really bugs me whenever i try to play 007 or COD that this type of control scheme is not available and I have a hard time playing those games at all because of it. 

It's a real shame.

--------------------

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#14838741 - 07/28/11 02:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I doubt it would ever be accurate as a mouse (technical limitation of having a free arm) but that video really does shed Wii FPS in a different light. Having played them, it's as if soemone decided they didn't want good FPS games on the wii and purposefully gimped them.

I've seen wiimotes programmed up in combination with the old splitscreen Left 4 Dead mod on a PC and it looks like they were having a blast.

--------------------

wat man rly

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

#14839328 - 07/28/11 04:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

For what it's worth i completely agree, that's a good part of the reason the last console i bought was a N64. It didn't bother me so much in 007 or Perfect Dark, but i guess i just got used to it. I can't imagine it ever working well in a more modern game, they are just too fast paced most of the time. If it bugs you that much, why not stick to a computer? Most decent games get released for both, and while a computer is way more expensive the games are cheaper (or free if your into that), and it just works way better unless you get something that wasn't really meant to be a computer game, just a crappy port to try to make more money.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: ImperialCactus]
    #14839555 - 07/28/11 05:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

just make your deadzones smaller

duh

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#14842512 - 07/29/11 07:04 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
When it is done right it is pretty much just as good as a lazer mouse and keyboard.

not even close.

they stopped allowing people using PC to verse people on consoles.

because the worst PC players WRECKED the best console players.

mice are just more accurate, plain and simple.

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: Konyap]
    #14843552 - 07/29/11 02:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:
just make your deadzones smaller

duh

Nonsensical. Deadzone is the area around the center of an analog stick that does not send output, normally used to correct floaty-stick from sticks that don't center fully anymore.

??? Wimmotes don't have a deadzone setting.

Notably, neither do Xbox 360 controllers, which blows because I bought one and it basically doesn't work with my PC because the stick never re-centers itself fully.

--------------------

wat man rly

OfflineBagofDrugs
Stranger

Loc: Disney Land
Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: blujay]
    #14843628 - 07/29/11 02:39 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Xbox 360's kinect has insane FPS capabilites
/flash]

--------------------
Use their "google" win free skate gear :mushroom2:

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: BagofDrugs]
    #14843650 - 07/29/11 02:46 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Obviously you haven't used one yet, because they simply do not. Kinect is cool, but not nearly accurate enough for competitive play.

--------------------

wat man rly

OfflineBagofDrugs
Stranger

Loc: Disney Land
    #14843671 - 07/29/11 02:53 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blujay said:
Obviously you haven't used one yet, because they simply do not. Kinect is cool, but not nearly accurate enough for competitive play.

Dont get me wrong id take a controller any day, just in terms of the lesser of the 2 evils i would choose the kinect over the Wii or PS3 motion er w.e its called

--------------------
Use their "google" win free skate gear :mushroom2:

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: *Rant* Console first person shooters have the stupidest aiming / reticle system ever. [Re: BagofDrugs]
    #14844233 - 07/29/11 04:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

i thought the dead zone was the area in which the screen will not move

but whatever i played blops for like four hours straight yesterday i dont think there is a problem with the contorls IMO

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto