Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected
    #1461420 - 04/15/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.kypost.com/2003/04/12/baby04-12-2003.html

Tot's death: Drugs now suspected
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Shelly Whitehead
Post staff reporter

On Dec. 14, when Ryan Alexandra Koeninger's family should have gathered for her first birthday party, they were instead planning her funeral.
At the time, everyone thought the tot had succumbed to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Three days earlier, her mother, Angel Koeninger, woke from a mother/daughter nap to find Ryan lying cold and lifeless beside her in their California home. Less than an hour later, the little girl was pronounced dead at a hospital and nothing -- from interviews with family members to the initial autopsy -- suggested anything but SIDS was to blame.

That was until Feb. 28, when Campbell County Coroner Dr. Mark Schweitzer shared the toxicology report on Ryan with other officials. It showed there was a concentration of 0.9 milligrams of methadone, a drug commonly used to treat heroin and OxyContin addictions, per liter of Ryan's blood.

"They described it as a fatal amount for a child," said Campbell County Youth Services Unit Detective Jason Faulkner.

Police reordered tests to verify the initial findings and ensure no other drugs or chemicals were present in Ryan's body. Medical records were subpoenaed and drug, poisoning and pediatric health experts were queried about methadone poisoning in very young children.

Faulkner said within a week all the evidence confirmed the initial toxicological findings. Schweitzer said the level of methadone in Ryan was equivalent to an adult dose.

Faulkner said Ryan's mother and stepfather, Richard Koeninger, told police they were on methadone maintenance treatment for drug addictions. Angel told police she took liquid methadone prescribed legally for her through an Indiana clinic.

What the Koeningers did not tell police then was that they also kept illegally obtained methadone pills. The couple also failed to mention that last summer, Ryan was allowed to sleep off the effects of a methadone pill she had "chewed on." And perhaps most important, the couple never mentioned that the night Ryan died they thought she had taken some methadone pills she had found in her mother's purse.

Campbell County Police said all that information came out when they questioned the Koeningers at the agency's Alexandria headquarters.

"She (Angel) brought up an incident over the summer where she found Ryan had chewed on one of the pills," Faulkner said. "She said she took the pills away from her -- and she slept all day and all night, but she never sought medical attention."

Angel Koeninger told authorities when she returned home the night of Dec. 11 after Ryan was taken to the hospital, she noticed two half methadone pills were missing from her purse.

"Then she recalled Ryan playing with her purse earlier that day and realized she had taken the methadone," Faulkner said.

The 40 milligrams of methadone Ryan ate was a fatal dose of the opiate, Schweitzer said.

The discovery prompted authorities to call in the state, since Ryan's 5-year-old sister still lived at the couple's California home. That child is now in the custody of other family members.

Angel Koeninger, 23, was arrested Friday after a Campbell County grand jury indicted her Thursday on one count of second-degree manslaughter. She's being held without bond in the Campbell County Detention Center in Newport. Up to this point, Angel Koeninger had only a smattering of non-violent offenses on her record, according to authorities. Schweitzer said her children showed no signs of physical or sexual abuse.

If convicted, she faces up to 10 years in prison.

Publication Date: 04-12-2003

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: motaman]
    #1461625 - 04/15/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if not for the illegality of the drugs, this girl would not have died.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: ]
    #1461767 - 04/15/03 08:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

How so?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #1462028 - 04/15/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

That's simply not true. Whether the drug was legal or not made no difference. What she failed to do was keep them out of reach of children (remember that warning on pretty much all household legal drugs, like aspirin and the like?) This is just a case of bad parenting and failure to get medical attention when she realised her kid had chewed on some methadone tablets.

Anonymous

#1462489 - 04/15/03 11:43 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if your kid accidently eats too much of your aspirin, you call a doctor and they get things figured out. or at least i think that's what these people would have done if that happened to their kid. but their kid ate some of their illegal methadone, and they made a bad call and didn't call a doctor about it. it doesn't take the blame off of them; they were definitely negligent as hell and should be charged, criminally. i don't think she'd have died if the drugs she'd overdosed on hadn't been illegal.

Edited by mushmaster (04/15/03 11:45 PM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1462534 - 04/15/03 11:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Perhaps. I still think it is a stretch.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#1466031 - 04/17/03 12:32 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Methadone is illegal?

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: Sheepish]
    #1466071 - 04/17/03 12:47 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

What the Koeningers did not tell police then was that they also kept illegally obtained methadone pills.

--------------------

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: z@z.com]
    #1466365 - 04/17/03 06:00 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

D'oh, I didn't see that bit....

Offlinewyldtouch69
You heard ofhell well i wassent from it

#1466900 - 04/17/03 10:30 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

If her parents weren't crackheads in the first place, then maybe they wouldn't have needed methadome laying around for a small child to chew.

shouldn't they have learned their lesson the first time she chewed a pill?

this disgusts me. then you going around blaming the government for regulating strong drugs for these mindless parent's actions makes my veins pump battery acid. If the government should be blamed in this case, it would be for allowing these idiots who are prescribed methadome (therefore known to be substance abusers) to raise a child.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: wyldtouch69]
    #1468381 - 04/17/03 07:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i just knew someone would take what i wrote the wrong way.

i knew that somebody was going to see what i was writing as an attempt to shift the blame from this girl's stupid junky parents to the government. i was not trying to do that. these people fucked up big time. i was just saying that had the drugs been legal, i think this little girl would have been ok.

which is why i made sure to write,

"they made a bad call and didn't call a doctor about it. it doesn't take the blame off of them; they were definitely negligent as hell and should be charged, criminally."

chill the fuck out.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1469411 - 04/18/03 03:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

these idiots who are prescribed methadome (therefore known to be substance abusers)

Not everybody who is prescribed Methadone is a junkie. Opiates are prescribed for pain, and are just as addictive for people who take them for pain as people who take them for pleasure.

Not everyone who is addicted to opiates is a street junkie, but these people may well have been.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinewyldtouch69

Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1474492 - 04/19/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

HELLO, did you read the article, or did you just want to TRY to make me look stupid?

Quote:

Faulkner said Ryan's mother and stepfather, Richard Koeninger, told police they were on methadone maintenance treatment for drug addictions. Angel told police she took liquid methadone prescribed legally for her through an Indiana clinic

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #1482324 - 04/22/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm going to say something that might shock you. GOOD PEOPLE DO FUCKED UP THINGS, THATS LIFE, NOT ALL PEOPLE WHO FIND THEM SELVES ADDICTED ARE WORTHLESS SCUM. That article says 0 about the way these people found themselves addicted and they are on methadone which means they were seeking help, show a little respect. Something auwful happened why does there always have to be something/one to blame or punish? Do you think these parents are happy? YOU don't know the entire story.

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: Adom]
    #1482877 - 04/22/03 03:06 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

What the Koeningers did not tell police then was that they also kept illegally obtained methadone pills. The couple also failed to mention that last summer, Ryan was allowed to sleep off the effects of a methadone pill she had "chewed on." And perhaps most important, the couple never mentioned that the night Ryan died they thought she had taken some methadone pills she had found in her mother's purse.

These people were addicted to Methadone! They had perscriptions for the liquid, but purchased illegal supplies as well. They were only seeking help to get high.

Good people do fuck up, but Fuckups endanger the lives of their children by intentionally with-holding information that could save them, to protect their own asses. This wasn't even the first time the EXACT SAME THING happened. This time, the result was fatal. These people should not be allowed to keep their children.

--------------------

Offlinewyldtouch69

Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1483523 - 04/22/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

right on!

They were obviously selfish fuckups... that's just like a junkie, put yourself first... nothing, not even their daughter's well-being, was going to stop them from getting high.

Not only did they lose a child, but they fucked up ever getting to keep a child again.

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: Tot's Death - Drugs Now Suspected [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1485944 - 04/23/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Point taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder