Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetadziu
Monster Maker

Oyster cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars to x-amount of substrate?
    #14826806 - 07/26/11 12:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all, is there a typical rule of thumb as to how many standard 1/2 pint sized PF jars should be crumbled into a a particular amount of bulk substrate for effective and efficient colonization?

--------------------
This forum is here to discuss issues and to HELP other members...

If your answer to a posted question is simply going to be "use the search function" then why not make your post worthwhile and useful by providing them with a link that points them in the right direction... otherwise, keep it to yourself!

Edited by tadziu (08/30/11 04:25 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSmirnoff
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: Cube cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars in x-amount of substrate? [Re: tadziu]
    #14826822 - 07/26/11 12:42 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

use a 1:1 ratio

--------------------
We found the mushroom forest, Let's meet under the cap!

Ethnobotany + Mycology = Ethnomycology

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
Re: Cube cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars in x-amount of substrate? [Re: Smirnoff] * 1
    #14826896 - 07/26/11 12:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Roughly six 1/2 pint cakes equals out to one 3/4 full quart of grain; for nutrient volume comparisons. You will not need to add a vermiculite to your bulk, as that is 2/3rds of the dry matter of cakes (precolonized)... For roughly a 1:1 ration to one 650g brick of coir, figure about 45 cakes...  One of the reasons cakes are best left as cakes... You could opt for a 1:2 ratio, which would be closer to 24 cakes to one brick of coir...

Hope this helps :smile: :peace:

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

Offlinesixbluntsdeep
Stranger
Re: Cube cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars in x-amount of substrate? [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #14827036 - 07/26/11 01:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

HorizonSpawn said:
Roughly six 1/2 pint cakes equals out to one 3/4 full quart of grain; for nutrient volume comparisons. You will not need to add a vermiculite to your bulk, as that is 2/3rds of the dry matter of cakes (precolonized)... For roughly a 1:1 ration to one 650g brick of coir, figure about 45 cakes...  One of the reasons cakes are best left as cakes... You could opt for a 1:2 ratio, which would be closer to 24 cakes to one brick of coir...

Hope this helps :smile: :peace:

You need to learn some math.  There are two pints to a quart, which means 4 half pints to a quart, which means six half pints equals 1.5 quarts.

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
Re: Cube cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars in x-amount of substrate? [Re: sixbluntsdeep]
    #14827244 - 07/26/11 02:08 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

No... Math is something I am quite good at :smile:

When comparing 1/2 pint cakes to quart grain jars, it is a little tricky, as it is kinda like comparing apples to pears: close, but not the same...

A single 1/2 pint has 1/5~1/4 of a cup flour...  A quart jar, 3/4 full, has three cups of grain... One cup of grain yields about 1.5 cups of flour...  That means that a 3/4 full quart jar has the equivalent of 4.5 cups of flour...

I was being lenient toward cakes. The crude math suggests closer to about 10~12 cakes to a quart jar, as far as nutrients are concerned... Of course the nutrients of flour are a little more available via increased surface area to volume...

Take it or leave it; just trying to provide some useful data to those that asked :smile:

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Re: Cube cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars in x-amount of substrate? [Re: sixbluntsdeep]
    #14827252 - 07/26/11 02:09 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

BRF makes fantastic spawn. I recommend a 1:4-1:8 ratio of spawn to sub. Make sure to crumble it up in a bag really fine.

--------------------
Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it.

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
Re: Cube cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars in x-amount of substrate? [Re: sandman420]
    #14827308 - 07/26/11 02:20 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

sandman420 said:
BRF makes fantastic spawn. I recommend a 1:4-1:8 ratio of spawn to sub. Make sure to crumble it up in a bag really fine.

Cool. One cake per quart of spawn isn't that bad a ratio imo

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

Offlinetadziu
Monster Maker

Re: Cube cakes to Bulk Substrate - how many jars in x-amount of substrate? [Re: maug]
    #14828361 - 07/26/11 06:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys... 1:4 it is

--------------------
This forum is here to discuss issues and to HELP other members...

If your answer to a posted question is simply going to be "use the search function" then why not make your post worthwhile and useful by providing them with a link that points them in the right direction... otherwise, keep it to yourself!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation