Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Britain Farmers Find Promise in a Crop Illegal in Afghanistan
    #14826088 - 07/26/11 06:28 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Britain Farmers Find Promise in a Crop Illegal in Afghanistan
July 25, 2011 - voanews.com

Farmers in Britain are harvesting a surprising new crop in an effort to combat a shortage of painkillers. It is a crop that is plentiful thousands of kilometers away in Afghanistan, but there, British and U.S. troops are trying to destroy it.

One field of opium poppies is just 90 minutes west of London. Recent dry springs and early summers in England are perfect for poppies.

Farmers at more than 30 sites just like this all across England are growing them for a British pharmaceutical company to turn them into morphine and codeine.

But neither the farmers growing the poppies here nor the McFarlan Smith drug company want to talk about them -- worried about security and potential controversy.  One retired local farmer had this to say:

"It's probably a better crop than growing corn. They send their own men in combines and it's transported to the factory in about 24 hours. They're good crops," retired farmer Reg Brown said.

The National Health Service thinks so, and it  needs a steadier supply of opium poppies to combat a national shortage of painkillers. Indeed, there's a global shortage of drugs made from poppies, even though they're plentiful in Afghanistan.

Michael Clarke is director of the Royal United Services Institute, a British military and security organization.  "The Afghanistan poppy crop creates about 90 percent of the heroin which is traded in Europe," he said. "It accounts for well over 70 or 80 percent of Afghanistan's income."

And because all opium production in Afghanistan is illegal, even for medicinal use, the country's poppy fields are under attack -- part of a United Nations' eradication policy, backed by the U.S. and Britain.

"The eradication policy is there to try to break the link between criminality, insecurity and poverty inside Afghanistan," Clarke stated.

But while both the U.S. and Britain help to enforce the policy, they do not necessarily agree on the approach. "The Americans have tended to say, just eradicate the poppies whether people like it or not, just get rid of them.  The British have tended to say, 'If you do that, you'll make it all worse.'"

That's why British MP Frank Field says eliminating the Afghan poppy fields is counter-productive. "It gives the Taliban a hold over local people, it gives the Taliban a source of local income and it makes it easier for the Taliban to pick off our soldiers because of the lack of goodwill in villages," he explained.

Field prefers legalizing opium poppies in Afghanistan so crops can be taxed and exported, benefiting Afghan farmers, the Afghan government and the international community.

Two years ago, the late Richard Holbrooke, then the U.S. special adviser on Afghanistan and Pakistan, considered the eradication policy a failure. "We're pushing farmers into the hands of the Taliban. It is the most wasteful and ineffective program I've seen in my 40 years in government," Holbrooke stated.

But Clarke says legalizing poppies in Afghanistan would create more problems. "It would be a drastic step to suddenly legitimize the Afghan poppy crop, which wouldn't be as simple as taking away poppies from Afghan farmers. It would actually create a revolution from inside Afghanistan which might create more instability than you could handle. Some people say that unless you can address the poppy problem in Afghanistan, all other bets are off," he said.

Meanwhile, here in the English countryside, fields of poppies grow, and no one wants to talk about them.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Britain Farmers Find Promise in a Crop Illegal in Afghanistan [Re: veggie]
    #14826108 - 07/26/11 06:50 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Good read :thumbup:

It seems to me that poppy eradication would push the farmers deeper into poverty, which feeds the Taliban.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Britain Farmers Find Promise in a Crop Illegal in Afghanistan [Re: Green_T]
    #14826161 - 07/26/11 07:26 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Why is it when there's more heroin than in human history, do we need POPPY fields in england? There's white poppy fields dotted over Oxfordshire. (No, I don't harvest).

Shortage of painkillers. Legalise cannabis! Bollocks to sativex.

OfflineOdd_Nonposter
Unrecognizable
Male

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Britain Farmers Find Promise in a Crop Illegal in Afghanistan [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #14826294 - 07/26/11 08:49 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Wouldn't it make more sense for British pharmaceutical companies to buy opium from Afghanistan? If they paid a premium for it, the farmers and middlemen would be less likely to sell it to the Taliban or whoever. You'd be conducting a diplomatic mission. Two birds with one stone.

However, economics probably get in the way of that. Once you factor in shipping, and the overhead for risking your life (the Taliban won't be happy if westerners come in, buy up their drugs, and jack up the farm price), growing opium in Britain would make more sense.

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dubai بجدية عربي...
Re: Britain Farmers Find Promise in a Crop Illegal in Afghanistan [Re: Odd_Nonposter]
    #14826322 - 07/26/11 09:06 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Odd_Nonposter said:
Wouldn't it make more sense for British pharmaceutical companies to buy opium from Afghanistan?

No, BUY BRITISH!!

But it would be interesting to know the price difference between a kilo of Afgan versus British opium.

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
Re: Britain Farmers Find Promise in a Crop Illegal in Afghanistan [Re: roquet]
    #14826501 - 07/26/11 10:35 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

So the British Govt. is effectively saying, "We can grow poppies for you, but you cannot." The American govt. does the same thing, I remember reading articles on it.

Hm... Are government offcials just naturally more intelligent/responsible than anyone who is not a government official? So much to the point that they consider the general populace so irresponsible that you will be arrested for imitating what they do?

Or do they just want a monopoly on a very addictive and in demand crop?

:goldfarb:

"So you're sayin' my government is full of drug dealers!?"

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service