Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
What type of contam...
    #1481839 - 04/22/03 10:39 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Greets,
I wish I had a digicam soI could show you this interloper, but I don't, so i'll have to paint a picture with my words :smile:

The infection seems to usually be near the top level in the jars, right around where the top layer of dry verm meets the moist grain.  It is a mixture of brownish "powder" looking and white looking, so much so that I almost confused it for healthy growth.  This is my main contam (the only one this time knock on wood)  Does this sound like anything anyone else has discovered?  Any ideas where it could come from? I practise VERY clean technique, and I'm surprised that it's only one type of infection.  I hope that I've described it well enough that some people might know what it is, and it's origins.

pz

Johnny R

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: What type of contam... [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1482169 - 04/22/03 01:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

We can come up with some theories about how it started, first a couple of questions though.
The lids, were they tightened ?
The inoculation holes, covered ?
How many inoculation points were made ?
Did you clean the syringe needle between jars ?
Did the contam started growing in line with the inoculation points ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: What type of contam... [Re: MAIA]
    #1482189 - 04/22/03 01:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Sure, here is my "sterile procedure"

first, I wear sterile gloves when I innoculate.  Idon't mean rubber exam gloves, I mean surgical gloves that have been sterilized and packaged that way.  I do my innoc's in the oven, on the "lid" flapped down.  I make the total amount of time that the "white" part of the jar is exposed as minimal as possible, covering immediatly after innoculation.  I have four holes per lid, sealed with silver duct tape (not the usual duct tape, it's HVAC tape or some shit, metal tape basically).  I wipe the syringe between innocs with a paper towel saturated in 91% isoprophyl alcohol.  In a few of the jars, teh contam just started growing on the "line' between the dry vermiculite and the moist verm/bp. In a few they start out in the jar, but not in line with the innoculation points.  I also wear a sterile face mask when I innoc.  I appreciate the help guys :smile:  the first time I did this I had so much contamination I almost went crazy.  I think the biggest thing for me was to ensure that the jars got innoculated as soon as they cooled instead of sitting a few days.  I had alot of green mold last time, none of that this time.  Also, lsat time when I cased, not all of the jars had fully colonized.  I'm gonna wait this time..

pz

johnny R

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum