Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
What the hell is THIS? (contam pics)
    #1437945 - 04/07/03 11:23 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This contam is fast spreading and bright bloody red. It came from a spore syringe that I made with a wild mushroom print. I 90% expected contamination, but nothing this pretty. Anyone have a clue what it is?

Pity, really. The mycelium from those wild prints is spreading like crazy. After only four or five days, the substrate was completely covered by mycelium and that red contaminant. I inoculated other jars containing the same substrate using a sterile Maz print, and that mycelium has only barely started after about twelve days. Weird.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (04/07/03 11:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: What the hell is THIS? (contam pics) [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1438641 - 04/08/03 08:15 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

lipstick mould, check the faq that Anno did.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What the hell is THIS? (contam pics) [Re: gee_bone]
    #1440299 - 04/08/03 06:20 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I already have, and that was my guess too, but that FAQ says that it is very slow growing. This stuff colonized the whole jar in about 3 days. In addition, it has not changed color at all. It started as bright red 'pins' and has turned in to bright red 'ink'. The photo isn't particularly good, it actually looks more like a red liquid has been injected into the substrate.

Anonymous

#1440386 - 04/08/03 06:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Looks like lipstick mold, when in doubt throw it out.

Better safe than sorry, you don't want to open that up and get a nasty whiff and perhaps fall ill.

Popcorn does, however, discolorize and sometimes becomes pink, but a reddish color to that extent usually spells contamination.

One good rule of thumb is if it's growing (and expanding like in your case) it's another organism, or contamination. Throw it out for safety.

Good luck in the future,
daba

OfflineB4rK0d3
Bromeo
 User Gallery

Re: What the hell is THIS? (contam pics) [Re: daba]
    #1460701 - 04/15/03 02:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Man, that picture gives me the heebie-jeebies.

OfflineYSJ
ThoughtShopper

Loc: Undisclosed at this time.
    #1462349 - 04/15/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Even if not lipstick mould, pitch it. Anything that spreads *that* fast shows an unpleasant amount of opportunisim (sorry if that's a neologism; blame it on my own current personal intoxication).

In any event, I've begrudgingly come (been dragged quite unwillingly, that is) to the conclusion that so many different fungi assume different colours on different mediums (namely, our choice of mediums, be it compost, BRF, or whatnot), that anything but white = BAD.

Chuck it.

Unless, that is, you have a BL3 containment facility, and feel like sticking it under a microscope for our communal edification. Otherwise, I'd *highly* recommend discarding it without another thought.

HTH,

YSJ
--
post scriptum: blame any typos on...Uhm...Well...Me. Oh, nevermind.

--------------------
"There are no angels unless they are Angels of Death...And I would never again doubt my place among them or lose my resolve to serve in their wild ranks."         
                                                            -T. Ligotti

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: What the hell is THIS? (contam pics) [Re: YSJ]
    #1479562 - 04/21/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Is it more common to get contams when you use a wild print and if so, what if anything could someone do about it.

I have to use wild spores. I live in a state where even spores are illegal.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What the hell is THIS? (contam pics) [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1479813 - 04/21/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, you'll almost certainly get contams using a wild print. Pretty ones too.

You should use an agar tek, although some people have had success with wild prints.

Usually, they cut the cap off the mushroom in the paddock and stick it into a jar immediately without touching it (use a toothpick or somehting). Then wait for most of the spore to drop and transfer it into another sterilized jar. Hopefully the contams fell off with the first spore drop. Once it's dropped more spores in the second glass, quickly remove the cap (toothpick should still be in it, so no need to touch it). Then just make a spore syringe by injecting sterile water into the jar throu a hole in the lid and suck it back up again.

That's what I hear. Tried it twice and it didn't work either time, but if you persist you might just get one good jar, which is all you need to be able to make more, sterile prints...

Still better off using agar, if you can be bothered.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

#1480177 - 04/21/03 07:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the tip oO_wombat_Oo.

I still have six jars that seem to be alright, so I guess that I'll wait and see with them.

Next time I'll try out your suggestions.

What if I use an outdoors approach using the wild spores?

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What the hell is THIS? (contam pics) [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1481704 - 04/22/03 07:07 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"What if I use an outdoors approach using the wild spores?"

Well, this is something I've been interested in too! I'm actually right in the middle of experimenting with it right now! Although the approaching winter and cold weather is prolly going to stop my outdoor wild cubensis atempts. No matter, I'll try with some P.subaeruginosa when it's cold enough for them to fruit...

I say go for it! I'll pretty sure it'll work if you use your noggin. I got fruits once by simply mixing up some wild maggot infested cubesnis caps in a bag of cow shit and dumping it in my back yard. Seriously. It was in season, and I watered it every day. Mycelium grew and so did some small fruits. After a while it pissed down and dispersed my pile of shit over the back lawn.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

#1481805 - 04/22/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Well I guess I'm off to go get some Poo!!! :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale